Author Topic: Anybody watching the baseball playoffs?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Anybody watching the baseball playoffs?
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »
During the season, I'm a cursory fan.
But I like post-season.

After my Pirates had their butts handed to them, I started to watch the playoffs.
There's some really good games.

All pretty close and competitive.

I'll state that never, in my 64 years, did I root for an American League team

But, this year Kansas City is a real Cinderella team and I'd like to see them take it all.

Their dry spell was longer than the Pirates'.

I could like the Orioles, too.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Anybody watching the baseball playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
Nope.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
It's hard for me to get excited about baseball anymore. The Twins have been in such a dismal dry spell for so long, and we just had a taxpayer funded stadium crammed up our asses a few short years ago.

The stadium is nice - a lot better than that stupid dome. But it galls me that these multi-millionaire-owned sports franchises are such corporate welfare whores. They passive-aggressively threaten cities and states with loss of sporting revenue, and nobody is willing to stand up to them.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »
You are totally right IDP and Curt Flood ruined the game.
Almost no one plays a career for one team

But, it's still a great game and this yrear's playoffs are real good so far

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
I don't have 6 hours to invest in a major league baseball game.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:55 AM »
It's hard for me to get excited about baseball anymore. The Twins have been in such a dismal dry spell for so long, and we just had a taxpayer funded stadium crammed up our asses a few short years ago.

The stadium is nice - a lot better than that stupid dome. But it galls me that these multi-millionaire-owned sports franchises are such corporate welfare whores. They passive-aggressively threaten cities and states with loss of sporting revenue, and nobody is willing to stand up to them.

And now the Viqueens have their new palace going up, looks like some sort of IM Pei nordic whorehouse...

Anyway, they too are showing signs that all they want to do is suck, and with the NFL cracking down on the knuckleheads I hear rumblings that they are considering taking draft choices away from teams that have too many bad eggs they cannot control...yeah, we've been pulling kids out of colleges based purely on football skill no matter how far removed from the various hoods/projects/distressed areas thay are for 4-5 decades now and suddenly the NFL wants to crack down...

The Viqueens will never have any draft picks if that deal goes through...we always lead the league in troubled jackwagons!  Abusers, dopers, drunks, we got it all!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
You are totally right IDP and Curt Flood ruined the game.
Almost no one plays a career for one team

But, it's still a great game and this yrear's playoffs are real good so far

Finally, I am not alone!

I am way to casual now, not following much, but I am aware KC was lucky to beat Oakland (I still hate the idea of manufactured drama ala the one game gimmick!  IMO they should have NEVER gone away from the division winner format and 5 game format...the only 7 game series should be The Series!  But they're all whores for cash!) and they are close to closing it out on Baltimore now and go to The Series for the first time in, what, 29 years?

It's hockey season so the Wild (that name is still so retarded!) and Gophers are my thing...and college football when I get a chance.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 07:13:14 AM »
I never could get into hockey.
I understand why  you North woods people do.

It's probably because it wasn't part of my growing up and didn't make it's appearance until I was grown up here, near Pittsburgh.

There's hardly any sporting events I will sit for however many hours and watch on TV.
I just seem to be attracted to post season baseball and this year is, to me, particularly interesting.

On baseball, I am a traditionalist/purist.

Designated hitter?
I hate it.

Starting pitchers that pitch 5 innings and it's called a quality start?

Relievers that throw 2 pitches and earn "saves"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
It's not our fathers baseball.  I miss the old days, more than I thought I would, certainly more than I ever could have predicted back then...I thought it would always be there and be like this...boy was I naive!

And hockey is bred into us, I sucked at it but I played lots of pick up games, not the strongest skater by far (my sisters eldest is showing the most promise on that score, made the top team this season, will have high school starting next year and hopefully he makes varsity!), but I liked playing and I liked playing goalie...and yes I would whack you if you got in on me too close.
 ::evil::

Stop raising the puck!  I told you, you want a hard puck it stays on the ice!  - Says the goalie with no mask or padding! 

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
I'm from the Chicago area,  need I say more?

Since Chicago baseball will almost alway disappoint (at least I am a White Sox fan,  hopeless for them Cubs fans) and since old man Wirtz died a few years ago,  being  a Blackhawks fan has become so much easier.   Like being on TV,   yup Bill Wirtz was old school,  really old school.   He was a leftover from the generation of team owners that thought being on TV hurt attendance.   It was the opposite in the case of the Hawks,  the stadium was empty and the team sucked.   When his son,  Rocky took over after his dad passed,  he had a TV deal in what seemed like minutes.    Now the Hawks rock and the stadium sells out now.   It was not that long ago when my brother and I had a whole section to ourselves at a game once (and the tickets were comps),  so they had sold not one seat in that whole section..........

So that makes me a bigger hockey fan then baseball..............

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
I love the game, don't get me wrong. I've just become disillusioned with MLB. If the Twinks were in the playoff's I'd be watching.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »
From Detroit area here --- after the O's beat the snot out of the Tigers, and with the second half of the season they had, I figured they were a shoe in.  Detroit handled the Royals so the O's were in -- doubt thinking as the Royals stop them like the O's did in the Tigers.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 06:29:35 AM »
The Royals march toward destiny continues...Baltimore swept aside like old dirt.

And I hear they were 3-0 vs Giants (who are up 3-1 now) and 3-1 vs the Card's in inter-league play.

If it is Giants-Royals it will be interesting to see what holds out - the Giants even-year luck or the Royals look of destiny?

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 07:57:43 AM »
The Royals are a true Cinderella team.

I may be wrong but the Giants contended for a lot of the year and had a bad stretch in August.
So they were expected to be a good team.
I'm not sure the Cardinals are out yet.
They're proven winners and finished strong in the regular season.

They could put three games in a row together.

Someone mentioned how long the games are.
They really are long.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
I did catch the end of the royals game, but I'm a huge hockey fan. Have season tics to the Predators and usually watch any hockey on tv.

Oh, the Wild suck....so do the Hawks. Don't care for Dallas, St. Louis, or any other western conference team. They all suck. All of them. A lot. Lol
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
I'm not sure I follow Don...I sure wish he wouldn't struggle with expressing himself....

:D