Author Topic: USS Constitution  (Read 1749 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
USS Constitution
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:43:55 AM »

BOSTON (AP) — Old Ironsides took one last trip around Boston Harbor on Friday ahead of a major, multi-year restoration project, firing its cannons while the Dropkick Murphys punk band and a Boston Pops quintet entertained hundreds of special guests and dignitaries on board.

The USS Constitution, the world's oldest commissioned warship still afloat, was pushed along by a tugboat, its sails already taken down as it prepares to enter dry-dock for the repairs, which the Navy says could take about three years.

The three-mast frigate, which earned its nickname after winning battles during the War of 1812 against Great Britain, gave a traditional 21-gun salute to Fort Independence on Castle Island, one of the oldest fortified sites in the country. It also gave a 17-gun salute at the Coast Guard's Boston base and it's all active-duty Navy crew laid a wreath in the harbor to honor the armed forces branch, which turned 239 years old this week.

All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: USS Constitution
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »
Now if we could just get the actual Constitution into dry dock for a refit and rehab....
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »
The Constitution is a beautiful ship.  The young sailor who was stationed there to organize the tour groups admitted to me she had no idea where she was being posted.  Of course, I guess whatever officer poster her there knew that 1) she probably couldn't cause any harm  and 2) might get an education she obviously sorely needed.

Otherwise you live in the barracks right next to the ship in Boston and ,your office is actually in the lower levels not open to the public -- too bad such commissions aren't given to more deserving recruits.  Our tour guide was excellent however and knew nearly everything about the ship.

Wish I could have seen her give the salute however. She is an amazing old vessel.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
I got to tour it about thirty years ago. It was very interesting and enjoyable.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »
Never got to see the old girl, another for the Bucket List. l did get to see the Mayflower replica, sailing was brutal in the age of sail but there is something romantic and nostalgic about certain vessels that's for sure.  Thanks for posting this Rusty!

::thumbsup::

PS - I agree with Glock, we sure could use Madison and the rest of the Founders right now!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:50:28 PM »
The Constitution is a beautiful ship.  The young sailor who was stationed there to organize the tour groups admitted to me she had no idea where she was being posted.  Of course, I guess whatever officer poster her there knew that 1) she probably couldn't cause any harm  and 2) might get an education she obviously sorely needed.

Otherwise you live in the barracks right next to the ship in Boston and ,your office is actually in the lower levels not open to the public -- too bad such commissions aren't given to more deserving recruits.  Our tour guide was excellent however and knew nearly everything about the ship.

Wish I could have seen her give the salute however. She is an amazing old vessel.

I was under the impression that a posting on the Constitution was a highly sought out,  hard to get and a honor to get.........

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »

I was under the impression that a posting on the Constitution was a highly sought out,  hard to get and a honor to get.........

So was I.  This woman has been posted there maybe a week, and had no clue the honor being afforded her.  It scared me a little.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »

So was I.  This woman has been posted there maybe a week, and had no clue the honor being afforded her.  It scared me a little.

Now, as back in my day, not the best and the brightest get orders to a duty station that makes sense, but I hope now (as it was then) if her attitude is sub-par she be relegated to trash removal until such time as she can be transferred to a more suitable posting...like maybe (I was gong to say Adak, but it closed in 1997) Gitmo!  She can clean the Jihadi heads!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.