Author Topic: Question for our Colorado members...  (Read 846 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Question for our Colorado members...
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
H/T: Soup. He mentioned that Washington state had a gun registration ballot initiative that passed on Tuesday. Out of all the news I've heard re; this mid-term election, that is the grimmest so far.

That got me to thinking about the overreach of the Colorado legislature and governor with their oppressive gun law; the recall elections that repudiated a couple state senators; the refusal of Colorado sheriffs to enforce the law.

That got me thinking about this election, and wondering whether there were any further electoral consequences to local politicians that can be attributed to the gun law. I know Hickenlooper won, which is distressing (since he signed the damned law), but was there any meaningful change in the state legislature that would give any hope of a repeal of this law?

Is there any more news on the county sheriff front? Have there been any consequences for their stated refusal to enforce this law? Have there been any publicly aired specific incidents of sheriffs refusing to enforce specific violations?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Question for our Colorado members...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
H/T: Soup. He mentioned that Washington state had a gun registration ballot initiative that passed on Tuesday. Out of all the news I've heard re; this mid-term election, that is the grimmest so far.

That got me to thinking about the overreach of the Colorado legislature and governor with their oppressive gun law; the recall elections that repudiated a couple state senators; the refusal of Colorado sheriffs to enforce the law.

That got me thinking about this election, and wondering whether there were any further electoral consequences to local politicians that can be attributed to the gun law. I know Hickenlooper won, which is distressing (since he signed the damned law), but was there any meaningful change in the state legislature that would give any hope of a repeal of this law?

Is there any more news on the county sheriff front? Have there been any consequences for their stated refusal to enforce this law? Have there been any publicly aired specific incidents of sheriffs refusing to enforce specific violations?

The lawsuit (as far as I know ) is still pending
The Sheriffs (as far as I know)  still refuse to actually enforce the law as written (and nothing comes to trial, because of that fact) and no I haven't seen any incidents highlighted where the law hasn't been enforced ( again because why you call attention to that)
Aside from the recalls, no, I don't think anyone suffered ( due to the lets cheat to high heaven and low hell mail-in ballot law)

but as stupid as our gun laws were, they didn't include registration ( besides the clandestine registration at the national level for "background checks"
 anyways)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:54:09 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »
There's also the issue with Connecticut. The governor there who signed their draconian law was re-elected last night.  It's been a major topic at Sipsey Street Irregulars for some time now.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2014/11/malloy-gloats-elections-have.html

Elections do have consequences. But then so do tyrannical police raids. Red Mike "KGB" Lawlor is licking his anti-American lips at the prospects of forcing Connecticut firearm owners to disarm at the point of state police machine guns. There is an old Chinese warning that still applies in situations like this. It is true in Connecticut. It is true in Colorado. And it is true in Washington state. "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it." The ironclad Law of Unintended Consequences has yet to be consulted. Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves. The time of the ballot box is now passed. We are moving, if we can believe the people who seek to victimize us, into the time of the cartridge box.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »
It is distressing to see wickedness rewarded with continued power, but perhaps The Event has not yet come that provides the ultimate contrast, we may see it yet.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
A couple of points of errata...

The new law in Washington state is especially insidious because it is so passive. As long as I leave my weapons in the house I'm OK. But if I take one to a gun show for appraisal and allow anyone else to touch it, both of us have just committed a felony (unless the person has valid FFL). If I lend a rifle to my brother to go deer hunting both of us have committed felonies. EVERY "transfer" no matter how trivial) MUST be conducted through a FFL who records and reports the transaction and the serial number of the weapon. EVERY time. And just to add injury upon injury each transfer comes with a $25-$35 transfer fee.

It's frankly insane. It will do exactly zero to address gun crime. It potentially makes felons out of hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens. I hear that there are groups who are even now prepping for a challenge on constitutional grounds, but in the meanwhile I continue to simmer - and denounce the bass-turds who voted for this.

On a lighter note I've been in Las Vegas the past few days attending a conference and wandered into the middle of the Sandoval victory party at the hotel where I'm staying. What a party! Congratulations Governor Sandoval on your reelection!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
A couple of points of errata...

The new law in Washington state is especially insidious because it is so passive. As long as I leave my weapons in the house I'm OK. But if I take one to a gun show for appraisal and allow anyone else to touch it, both of us have just committed a felony (unless the person has valid FFL). If I lend a rifle to my brother to go deer hunting both of us have committed felonies. EVERY "transfer" no matter how trivial) MUST be conducted through a FFL who records and reports the transaction and the serial number of the weapon. EVERY time. And just to add injury upon injury each transfer comes with a $25-$35 transfer fee.

It's frankly insane. It will do exactly zero to address gun crime. It potentially makes felons out of hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens. I hear that there are groups who are even now prepping for a challenge on constitutional grounds, but in the meanwhile I continue to simmer - and denounce the bass-turds who voted for this.

On a lighter note I've been in Las Vegas the past few days attending a conference and wandered into the middle of the Sandoval victory party at the hotel where I'm staying. What a party! Congratulations Governor Sandoval on your reelection!

Sure, and perhaps when enough have nothing else to lose they'll start treating their would-be tyrants as traitors and act accordingly.

Seriously...I just don't know what it takes for some people...

We've been at war, the war continues...enemies are in our ranks...and refusing to acknowledge we are at war means you'll become a slave...but too many won't believe it until the iron chains are applied...all other chains they seem just fine with...

We're not there yet...

::gaah::   ::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
One would think that the Washington law would be ripe for jury nullification.  If someone would hold out an old single shot .22 and one hundred people touched it, turned themselves in en mass, a good lawyer could have a field day.   ::rockets::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).