Author Topic: Grain mills  (Read 2002 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Grain mills
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
Anyone here own one?  I don't know anyone who has one and I'm not sure which one I should consider.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: Grain mills
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »
No, but thanks I think that is a great idea and I NOW HAVE SOME RESEARCH TO DO. ::facepalm::
Damn caps lock ::evilbat::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
Last year I bought a storable food supply from Pleasant Hill Grain.  It included several plastic buckets of whole wheat grain, so I bought a grain mill to go with them.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/country_living_mill.aspx

It looks pretty sturdy but I haven't used it yet.  I suppose I should try to learn how to bake bread before the SHTF, but I haven't done that so far.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Last year I bought a storable food supply from Pleasant Hill Grain.  It included several plastic buckets of whole wheat grain, so I bought a grain mill to go with them.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/country_living_mill.aspx

It looks pretty sturdy but I haven't used it yet.  I suppose I should try to learn how to bake bread before the SHTF, but I haven't done that so far.

Not as hard as you might think. There are plenty of vids on utube and like any thing else you develop a feel for it in no time. Just keep it simple and don't get into starters and all that till you're good and comfy with the whole deal.

If you do it by hand it's work if you try to do a lot at once.

That price for the motor drive looks a little hefty.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
...  I suppose I should try to learn how to bake bread before the SHTF, but I haven't done that so far.

I make bread all the time.  Had a bread machine for years (my MIL gave me as a gift) until it broke.  I didn't replace it until a couple of years ago when I saw one at our church rummage sale new for $10.  A few months later it fell of the counter while kneading.  Oh, well.  I didn't really need it.  Most of the bread I've made has been by hand.  Don't get stuck on kneading--for  a lot of breads it's not that critical.  I make pizza dough, rolls, french bread, whatever and I'm not interested in standing around and kneading. It's all gets eaten pretty quick so I suppose it's good.  If I'm making a special recipe from some cookbook I will follow the kneading instructions but for everyday I don't worry about it.

I have been putting off the extra step of grinding my own flour though I hear it's really something in freshly baked bread.  I've found adding freshly baked bread to a meal can make a so-so meal seem better. It's fun to experiment and try recipes from around the world.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:42 PM »
...  I suppose I should try to learn how to bake bread before the SHTF, but I haven't done that so far.

I make bread all the time.  Had a bread machine for years (my MIL gave me as a gift) until it broke.  I didn't replace it until a couple of years ago when I saw one at our church rummage sale new for $10.  A few months later it fell of the counter while kneading.  Oh, well.  I didn't really need it.  Most of the bread I've made has been by hand.  Don't get stuck on kneading--for  a lot of breads it's not that critical.  I make pizza dough, rolls, french bread, whatever and I'm not interested in standing around and kneading. It's all gets eaten pretty quick so I suppose it's good.  If I'm making a special recipe from some cookbook I will follow the kneading instructions but for everyday I don't worry about it.

I have been putting off the extra step of grinding my own flour though I hear it's really something in freshly baked bread.  I've found adding freshly baked bread to a meal can make a so-so meal seem better. It's fun to experiment and try recipes from around the world.

Makes the best toast ever!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Looked at Pleasant Hill Grains linked above and I see two possibilities.  The one rickl has is around $400 (without the special wood case to keep the accessories LOL) and another that's about half that.  Haven't studied them enough to decide the cost vs benefit on the price difference.  But I have made up my mind I will have to get one this summer.

I want one of those oil expellers someone posted about too. :)