Author Topic: Race card thrown as science  (Read 1411 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Race card thrown as science
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/politics-and-law/racial-resentment-drives-tea-party-membership-93419/

So what drives these voters, who will clearly have a disproportionate influence on next week’s election results? A new analysis comes up with a not-pretty answer: Racial resentment.

“At least to some degree, the Tea Party movement is an outlet for mobilizing and expressing racialized grievances which have been symbolically magnified by the election of the nation’s first black president,” writes a research team led by Florida State University sociologist Daniel Tope.
“The findings suggest that, among conservatives, racial resentment may be a more important determinate of membership in the Tea Party movement than hard-right political values.”

The study, just published in the journal Social Science Research, finds this acrimony appears to be aimed specifically at blacks rather than also targeting Latinos. While that’s somewhat surprising, “The findings suggest that, among conservatives, racial resentment may be a more important determinate of membership in the Tea Party movement than hard-right political values.”

Tope and his colleagues analyze the results of a telephone survey of 961 American adults, which was taken in 2010. “Our study focuses on self-reported Tea Party movement membership rather than the more commonly assessed ‘support for’ or ‘agreement with’ the movement,” they note, “because self-identification as a member implies a greater degree of commitment to, and investment in, Tea Party movement ideals.”

Respondents were asked, “Do you consider yourself a member of the Tea Party?” Approximately 12 percent answered yes. This is roughly in line with Gallup’s findings that 11 percent of Americans are “strong supporters” of the movement, with another 13 expressing moderate support.

Racial resentment was measured by responses to five statements. Respondents indicated whether they agreed or disagreed with such assertions as “Generations of slavery and discrimination have created conditions that make it difficult for blacks to work their way out of the lower class” and “It’s really a matter of some people not trying hard enough; if blacks would only try harder, they could be just as well-off as whites.”

The perceived threat posed by Latinos was measured in a separate series of statements. Respondents indicated on a one-to-five scale their level of agreement with such assertions as “Latinos take away economic resources that should go to others, like jobs and welfare” and “Too many Latinos will vote in upcoming elections.”

In addition, respondents indicated their political ideology on a one-to-five scale (very liberal to very conservative), provided basic demographic information, and answered the question “What is the most important problem facing our country today?”
Related Stories

Not surprisingly, those who responded with some variation of the term “government,” such as “big government” or “government spending,” were far more likely than others to be members of the Tea Party. So were those who called themselves very conservative.

But the researchers found racial resentment was a “distinct factor” driving membership, one which was “largely independent” from ideological concerns. “Conservatives who were more racially resentful were substantially more likely to claim Tea Party movement membership,” they write.

“The minority of conservatives who consider themselves to be Tea Party movement members tend to be more racially resentful, white, male, less-educated, and live in counties that have experienced recent black population growth,” the researchers report. “Individuals were more likely to claim Tea Party movement membership if they resided where the black population expanded.”

However, Tope and his colleagues “did not find a relationship between threat and Tea Party movement membership in relation to individuals’ subjective judgments about Latino threat, or residence in jurisdictions with growing Latino populations.”

Given the heated rhetoric in recent years about illegal immigration from Latin America, this is something of a surprise. It suggests that, at least as of 2010, old-fashioned hostility toward blacks was a stronger motivating force for Tea Party members than fear of Latino influence on American culture.

Whether that is still true, or will remain true in coming years, is an open question.

I'm really tired of this shyt.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Race card thrown as science
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
Copy that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:04 PM »
I'm really tired of this shyt.

I'm with ya brother. In my travels I've found leftists typically are 2X to 4X as racially biased as middle to right-wingers. Lately it seems like most of them view every aspect of life through a racial lens and virtually every black has a chip on his/her shoulder.

I find joy in the burgeoning resolve of people on the right not to accede to any of this race guilt crap. I know that some were taken by surprise at the accusations (to outright condemnations) that were fraudulently leveled at them. Many tried to negotiate their way out of confrontations with denials, protestations, and excuses.

Me? My reply has always been a variation on "F**K You and the slug you rode in on!"

I ain't accepting any part in their foolish games.

Isn't it interesting (and revealing!) that people on the right try to explain and illustrate how people on the right behave, and people on the left try to explain and illustrate how people on the right behave?

There's zero introspection from lefties. No self-examination - other than the selfies they take in front of the bathroom mirror. But their always johnny on the spot to diagnose - and condemn us. So, yea - you can bank on me NOT sitting up and taking notice of what some pimple-brain says about a subject he wouldn't recognize if it bashed him in the head (not a bad idea) and serves no useful purpose except to denigrate and disparage.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
The fact that it showed up in some internet backwater nothing site that has a prominent byline "The science of society" seems to indicate clearly the moonbat nature and as such this ilk and slugs they rode in on will all be compost once the Great Reckoning sorts things out.

Somebody should drop several tons of sh*t on their gathering place though, so that their rhetoric has an appropriate bouquet.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.