Author Topic: When your career's over  (Read 2875 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
When your career's over
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
And ya gotta pay the bills...

Moscow (AFP) - Mickey Rourke will revive his boxing career at the age of 62 and take to the ring with a US professional boxer in Moscow this month, Sovetsky Sport sports website reported Wednesday, citing the promoters.

The American actor was quoted as saying by promoters: "Boxing is a serious part of my life. It taught me respect and determination, patience and concentration. I always dreamed of fighting a match in Russia."

Rourke is set to fight 29-year-old Elliot Seymour on November 28. They will take to the ring ahead of a match between Russia's Ruslan Provodnikov and Jose Luis Castillo of Mexico, Sovetsky Sport reported.

The actor was an amateur boxer before his Hollywood career took off and he became a sex symbol star in films such as "9 1/2 Weeks."

He returned to boxing as a professional for eight matches in the 1990s, causing damage to his face that necessitated surgery and changed his appearance.

In 2008 he starred in "The Wrestler" about a washed-up fighter making a comeback, winning a Golden Globe for best actor.

Rourke is a frequent visitor to Russia and has been romantically linked to a Russian-born model, Anastassija Makarenko.

I knew his appearance had changed, but didn't know why. I thought it was botched cosmetic surgery.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: When your career's over
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »
I'm fairly sure that his changed appearance is not the result of corrective surgery to fix a boxing injury. He's had bad cosmetic plastic surgery, that's all there is to it.

That said, Rourke's career is FAR from over. He's more in demand now than he ever has been, including his stints in the "Expendables" franchise, as well as his roles in the "Sin City" movies. He's everywhere nowadays.

So whether boxing in Russia is a smart move or not, he clearly isn't doing it because his career is washed up. He must truly just love the competition of boxing.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »
....., including his stints in the "Expendables" franchise, as well as his roles in the "Sin City" movies. He's everywhere nowadays.

I've never heard of them. Must be sci-fi.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:22:23 PM »
His Russian girlfriend:

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
I'm fairly sure that his changed appearance is not the result of corrective surgery to fix a boxing injury. He's had bad cosmetic plastic surgery, that's all there is to it.

That said, Rourke's career is FAR from over. He's more in demand now than he ever has been, including his stints in the "Expendables" franchise, as well as his roles in the "Sin City" movies. He's everywhere nowadays.

So whether boxing in Russia is a smart move or not, he clearly isn't doing it because his career is washed up. He must truly just love the competition of boxing.

I liked him in the Ironman flick.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »

The surgery sure didn't fix his brain at 62 he has no earthly reason to take a beating like he's going to get.  I feel bad for him.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
His Russian girlfriend:

She'll look good in black.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »

The surgery sure didn't fix his brain at 62 he has no earthly reason to take a beating like he's going to get.  I feel bad for him.

Save your sympathy! LOL!

Mickey Rourke, 62, gets KO win in first boxing match in 20 years

Apparently his opponent was in no physical condition to enter the ring.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
That was not a fight.....lol.....
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »
Did they dope him up before entering?  Seriously, this thing seems rigged worse than a pro wrestling match!

::hysterical::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »
  What bullsh*t!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 06:34:54 AM »

That is pretty low!

What wretch off the street wouldn't take it though, I don't blame that guy, but Mickey is an exploiter...next thing you know he'll run for Congress!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »

That is pretty low!

What wretch off the street wouldn't take it though, I don't blame that guy, but Mickey is an exploiter...next thing you know he'll run for Congress!

Probably in Minn.     ::curtsy4::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 06:43:27 AM »

That is pretty low!

Probably in Minn.     ::curtsy4::

We have enough assholes, thanks.