Author Topic: The "Lost Generation" aka Idiocracy is Here!  (Read 620 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The "Lost Generation" aka Idiocracy is Here!
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:48:40 AM »
It's not just under 40's in Britain, Mrs. George, we have them here too!  It's what happens when easy prosperity intersects with lax personal responsibility...everything is disposable - jobs, people...stuff.  Another symptom of the Prog virus.  When the engine of the world stops, these people will die in droves...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11298927/Young-people-are-lost-generation-who-can-no-longer-fix-gadgets-warns-professor.html

Oh well, so sad to fricken bad...

::smallestviolin::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: The "Lost Generation" aka Idiocracy is Here!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
It's not the kids' faults.

“But there is now a big maker community who are thinking hard about what we do with all of these gadgets. They are remaking and repurposing things.

“I talked to someone who had used some LEDs on his bike so that he could put up a message as he was cycling.”

Yeah, that's great and all, but most people are not interested in LED bike messages or playing "a computer game on the windows of a skyscraper using hundreds of light bulbs"; we're interested in keeping our stuff working in their original contexts and uses and we've all been told not to bother *attempting* to fix, or get fixed, that ole keyboard because it'll cost as much as a new one.

"How to replace a cracked Apple iPhone screen".  Unh hunh.  I tried to replace the battery on my old iPod, but Apple doesn't design for that, rather the opposite.  As careful as I was, the little, teeny clip broke and that was the end of that.  For me, at least.

I've got an old Marantz quadrophonic amplifier with tubes and the radio part of it can't be repaired -- parts cannot be found.  Apparently, every other failed unit in the world has already been cannibalized, but I keep it to use with CDs, DVDs and the turntable because those functions are still fine.

In other words, tell me about it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: The "Lost Generation" aka Idiocracy is Here!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »
we're interested in keeping our stuff working in their original contexts ....

You forgot to mention the folks that like to hot rod anything they take apart.

My first computer was a x486 66 that I had bumped up to a pentium. Those were the days....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson