Author Topic: SSDD  (Read 1501 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
SSDD
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
No change in the 2015 spying ring

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr4681/text/eas#link=III_A_309_b_3_B_vii_III&nearest=id7aff931d74ae499690b99088fe395a9b

3)

Procedures
(A)

Application

The procedures required by paragraph (1) shall apply to any intelligence collection activity not otherwise authorized by court order (including an order or certification issued by a court established under subsection (a) or (b) of section 103 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1803)), subpoena, or similar legal process that is reasonably anticipated to result in the acquisition of a covered communication to or from a United States person and shall permit the acquisition, retention, and dissemination of covered communications subject to the limitation in subparagraph (B).
(B)

Limitation on retention

A covered communication shall not be retained in excess of 5 years, unless—
(i)

the communication has been affirmatively determined, in whole or in part, to constitute foreign intelligence or counterintelligence or is necessary to understand or assess foreign intelligence or counterintelligence;
(ii)

the communication is reasonably believed to constitute evidence of a crime and is retained by a law enforcement agency;
(iii)

the communication is enciphered or reasonably believed to have a secret meaning;
(iv)

all parties to the communication are reasonably believed to be non-United States persons;
(v)

retention is necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human life, in which case both the nature of the threat and the information to be retained shall be reported to the congressional intelligence committees not later than 30 days after the date such retention is extended under this clause;
(vi)

retention is necessary for technical assurance or compliance purposes, including a court order or discovery obligation, in which case access to information retained for technical assurance or compliance purposes shall be reported to the congressional intelligence committees on an annual basis; or
(vii)

retention for a period in excess of 5 years is approved by the head of the element of the intelligence community responsible for such retention, based on a determination that retention is necessary to protect the national security of the United States, in which case the head of such element shall provide to the congressional intelligence committees a written certification describing—
(I)

the reasons extended retention is necessary to protect the national security of the United States;
(II)

the duration for which the head of the element is authorizing retention;
(III)

the particular information to be retained; and
(IV)

the measures the element of the intelligence community is taking to protect the privacy interests of United States persons or persons located inside the United States.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: SSDD
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:07 PM »
Precisely, SSDD.

Not shocked nor dismayed; I figured they were doing it anyway.  Now they want it to have the color of law, so next, it's off to the courts.  Which will not save us either.

I'll say it again, the only way to avoid bloodshed, and I'm not even sure about that, is to go for the Article V Convention.  We have got to get the State governments invested in their own power, that which we lend to them.  At least each State Capitol will be closer to each of us than DC is if and when they'll require a good talkin' to.  Otherwise known as taking in hand.  Otherwise known as IYKWIMAITYD.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »
Unlike our Founding and up until the Civil War, the States of today are weak and used to Fedcoat dictate and Fedcoat bribery...I seriously doubt there is anywhere near enough time to pull enough of their sorry asses together to come up with a peaceful political exit to this inexorable madness.  The time to do so would have been right after GHW Bush betrayed the Reagan Revolution and turned the GOP back over to the E-GOP Sith Lords, but even then people had too little intelligence to see let alone to act on what was really happening...and apart from a brief blip of smaller government desires with the Newt Takeover...it all ran out of steam and trickled down the drain.  The Founders Option is the only one that will come into play in the end.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:09 AM »
The states have been converted into little more than administrative units. They have very little in the way of sovereignty. Anything a state does that Uncle Sugar doesn't like, it will be undone and whether or not the feds technically have the authority to do so matters not.

I remember taking a political science class in my freshman year of college. The professor spoke approvingly of how the Founders' original "layer cake" model of federalism had been replaced with a "marble cake" model. So that's what we are dealing with. The Feds are involved in everything. They have literally made it their business how you go about flushing your business.

States' rights is a non-starter. All the media has to do is say "Slavery! Jim Crow!" and the states will slink away. I'm afraid there is no end to this mess other than the end it has ordained for itself with its profligacy and arrogance. It will be a messy end, but it will end.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
States' rights is a non-starter. All the media has to do is say "Slavery! Jim Crow!" and the states will slink away.

I always hear "The south lost. Get over it."

And you're right. There is no end.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson