Author Topic: The Rise and Fall and Rise of America's Last Battle Rifle  (Read 831 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
The Rise and Fall and Rise of America's Last Battle Rifle
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
Thought y'all might enjoy this one.  The M-14 rifle, issued in the late 1950s but quickly replaced by the M-16 only a few years later, has really come into its own over 50 years later in Afghanistan.  I always enjoy these "what's old is new" stories.

And the M-14 still goes to war. More than half of the small arms engagements in Afghanistan are beyond 500 meters, with the enemy employing heavier weapons and then withdrawing before NATO air support or artillery fire can arrive.

In addition, the Taliban takes advantage of the country’s peaks and valleys to engage U.S. and allied forces at distances beyond the effective range of the 5.56-millimeter cartridge the M-4 carbine and M-16 rifle both fire.

The Army’s solution was to pull thousands of old M-14s out of armories, clean off the cosmoline and attach telescopic sights to weapons that were new when the soldiers’ and Marines’ grandfathers joined the military.

http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2014/11/20/the_rise_and_fall_and_rise_of_americas_last_battle_rifle_107559.html

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The Rise and Fall and Rise of America's Last Battle Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
Yeah, nice story, I like it when old stuff trumps new stuff...but the most surprising part to me is that somebody thought to even go look for these and was even aware what they are and what they could do!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »
I just bought a Springfield M1A.  Really liked it till the boating accident.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »
I just bought a Springfield M1A.  Really liked it till the boating accident.

That boat of yours is a real pain in the ass  you should get rid of it.   ::curtsy4::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie