Author Topic: If the flu is reaching "epidemic" level, we can only blame O'Bongo, right?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://abc7chicago.com/health/ill-reports-high-flu-activity-cdc-says-nation-at-epidemic-threshold/454261/

I mean I don't know about y'allm but at my work and in my state they push flu shots harder than any carney barker pushing whatever!  It's in e-mails, newsletters, radio ads, TV ads...blah blah blah!  And we still are approaching an "epidemic"?

Sounds like a clear cut case of government failure to me, right?  If these knuckleheads can't contain a measley flu virus, how the Hell will they contain anyting worse, eh?

Of course they'll use it as an excuse to pimp for more taxpayer funds...and the stupid bastards on The Hill will probably givie it to them...they've long forgotten why they should give a damn for the trillions already spent on government programs with less to show for it than this, so...

BOHICA!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: If the flu is reaching "epidemic" level, we can only blame O'Bongo, right?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Each year's flu vaccine is designed to combat last year's viruses because the PTB cannot be sure which will dominate in the coming year and it seems new ones always pop up.  I had an argument on another forum (I've told about this here already ... somewhere) with a "senior" who claimed it was everyone's *duty* to get vaccinated in order to protect the young, the old and the already-sick, which pissed me off; point out it's to my benefit to protect myself and my family and I may agree; point out getting vaccinated benefits the collective and you can kiss my ass.  (And yes, I know about herd immunity theory.)  Particularly since we here have known the "current" vaccine fail-rate as regards new flu strains.  Plus, it has been reported that, even for immunity against already-known strains, this year's vaccine is not very effective for the elderly.

As a last kick in the butt, pharmacies are finding in difficult to keep up with the demand for Tamiflu.

That there should ever be drug shortages in this country ........ I can only shake my head.  But there is a bill coming due for those behind the machinations that cause such.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:15:42 PM »
I agree.  I do not get a shot.  My nutjobs at work make me complete a form (a fracking form!!!) explaining to them I am not getting a shot and provide a reason, I didn't see "Eff you, none of your damned snooping government business!" so I checked the generic "religious reasons" box.  Assholes, it always is a crapshoot and it seems they are getting worse at it!  My folks got shots, both got the flu and my mother also had it morph into pneumonia.

And that Tamiflu shortage is a joke...happens every damn year...and it is a joke it cannot be purchased OTC, if they wanted people healthy they would loosen access!  So I can only conclude they want a certain number of deaths to justify their ever-bloating government budgets!

::pullhair:: 

::rockets::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
I used to get the flu shots every year, but haven't for the past several. Not because of some Infowars conspiracy, but because I kept reading how they get the strains wrong and even in the best years the effectiveness is unclear.

Tamiflu? Yeah I've seen the commercials and after they reel off the list of possible side effects (muscle aches, vomiting) I am struck that it sounds remarkably like....the flu.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »
mrs. trapeze is pretty paranoid about the flu. She would just as soon get the shot and the only reason why she hasn't yet is because as convenient as it is, it isn't quite convenient enough. Me? I worry a bit. I had a pretty horrid case of pneumonia when I was a child...collapsed lung, oxygen therapy...so I'm a little on the vulnerable side if infected. But I haven't gotten the shot this year, either.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
In my 57 yrs, I've never had the flu shot and never had the flu.

Coincidence?

I have had bronchitis a couple times. That REALLY sucked, but it only lasted about 3 days.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
As for me and mine, I'm torn between them getting it and not for the reasons aforementioned.

I rarely get sick even though I don't take as much care as I should regarding those pesky germs. I've had the flu or whatever went around 1990 and though it sucked, I survived. If it weren't for the 5.75 year old daughter I wouldn't be concerned but since day one, she's brought home everything under the sun because the school sh attends is in fact a germ breeding petri-dish whereby hundreds of school aged children are willfully thrown together in rooms that can't ever be purified/cleaned everyday or any day when none of the children nor the parents have a lick of sense.

What's a concerned parent to do? ::facepalm::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline richb

• Established Member
I agree.  I do not get a shot.  My nutjobs at work make me complete a form (a fracking form!!!) explaining to them I am not getting a shot and provide a reason, I didn't see "Eff you, none of your damned snooping government business!" so I checked the generic "religious reasons" box.  Assholes, it always is a crapshoot and it seems they are getting worse at it!  My folks got shots, both got the flu and my mother also had it morph into pneumonia.

And that Tamiflu shortage is a joke...happens every damn year...and it is a joke it cannot be purchased OTC, if they wanted people healthy they would loosen access!  So I can only conclude they want a certain number of deaths to justify their ever-bloating government budgets!

::pullhair:: 

::rockets::

At least you could sign a form and forgo the flu shot.

A friend of mine who is a nurse was fired for refusing a flu shot.  She is currently suing the hospital for her job back.