Author Topic: Finally: Some Truth in Sea Level Rise Hysteria  (Read 2041 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Finally: Some Truth in Sea Level Rise Hysteria
« on: January 02, 2015, 08:25:45 AM »
Every month some government agency comes out with a paper breathlessly warning Americans that the ocean levels will rise and countless square miles of land will become submerged in fifty to a hundred years. I began to read the attached article because it was a North Carolina study and its headline was alarming:

30 Year Sea Level rise will vary along NC Coast, Scientists Say

Seems pretty definitive.

North Carolina becomes the first state with a comprehensive forecast that shows the sea rising at different rates along its coast. Scientists have known for years about big differences – shaped by forces in the ocean and deep in the earth – between the northern Outer Banks and North Carolina’s southern shoreline.

Tide gauges show that the ocean has risen faster in recent decades at Duck, north of Nags Head (about 4.5 millimeters per year) than farther south at Wilmington and Southport (about 2 mm per year – close to the average annual global rate of 1.7 mm).

I've spent many summers of my youth north of Duck at a little place called Caffey's Inlet, now named Sanderling. I took notice of the shoreline and listened to the locals talk about a place at the high tide mark south of Corolla called "Wash Woods", where the stumps of hundreds of trees could be seen at low tide. The old timers spoke of their granddaddys who said the ocean was several hundred yards to the East when they were kids. As a result of this experiance, I have always questioned those in authority who blamed everything on sea level "rise." To me, the obvious could be seen: The Outer Banks were migrating to the West. On many blogs, I have questioned the state dogma that sea levels were "rising." Was there another explanation for the erosion of the shoreline? Why assume sea level rise when a competing explanation could be just as valid.

Finally. Sweet vindication. From the same article:

The northern Outer Banks are sinking slowly. This corner of the state lies in a part of the North American continent that is subsiding in response to geological forces dating from the last Ice Age, about 200 centuries ago.

Ah, yes. Makes perfect sense to me. Haven't the continents themselves been migrating westward for the last hundreds of thousands of years?

See: http://www.ncspin.com/30-year-sea-level-rise-will-vary-along-nc-coast-scientists-say/

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Finally: Some Truth in Sea Level Rise Hysteria
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
Nice, tectonic plates are not static, good of someone to notice!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
Appreciate the information, BAS.  I heard the "sea level rise on NC's coast" announced on the "news" yesterday and wondered what the story was 'cause I know it ain't from glowball warmink.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »
We have the same problem here on the LA Gulf Coast. When they put levees on the Muddy Mississippi, it no longer flooded and bringing sediment to the marshland. Needless to say, gravity is pulling it down and we're losing ground.

At least they haven't blamed global warming....yet.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
Yet. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:40:20 AM »
Hold on! WRAL-TV to the rescue with Global Warming  Causation!

Nags Head, N.C. — A report released on Dec. 31 shows the climate is changing along the North Carolina coast, and the sea level is rising faster in some areas than in others.

. . .

But the report endorses the theory that climate change will hasten the rates of rising sea levels. It predicts a boost of just over a foot at Duck, on the northern coast, and four inches at Southport, near Wilmington, by 2045.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/sea-level-report-shows-increasing-pace-of-change-along-coast/14323096/#Xu0rI5WHslBrDkGa.99

Funny, I thought the report focused on the geological, not the meteorological.

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »

Nags Head, N.C. — A report released on Dec. 31 shows the climate is changing along the North Carolina coast, and the sea level is rising faster in some areas than in others.

. . .

But the report endorses the theory that climate change will hasten the rates of rising sea levels. It predicts a boost of just over a foot at Duck, on the northern coast, and four inches at Southport, near Wilmington, by 2045.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/sea-level-report-shows-increasing-pace-of-change-along-coast/14323096/#Xu0rI5WHslBrDkGa.99

Last time I experimented, water will always goes to the same level. How can it rise more in some places than others?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

. . .

Last time I experimented, water will always goes to the same level. How can it rise more in some places than others?

Other than that gravitational bulge at the middle (we know how that feels, right?) and the lunar tides, it can't.  Evaporation, condensation...Antarctic ice hitting record levels and the Arctic not disappearing and leaving polar bears to die seems to elude their fuzzy little heads too. 

And listening to anything parroted by the MFM is to be taken with the largest grain of salt one can carry.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 12:32:59 PM »
Land along the Gulf of Bothnia, for example, is still rebounding (rising) from the compression of the ice age glacier coverage.  That contributes to displacement of water which must find a new home on land lower than what has risen, eh.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »
And for every push there are pulls, or natural erosions.  Yeah.  There is no magic bullet, no one-size-fits-all theory, but stupid people have a hard time thinking so simplicity, even stupid simplicity, grabs their puny attention.