Author Topic: Minimum Wage Irony  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
Minimum Wage Irony
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »
This is hilarious!! 

http://humanevents.com/2015/01/16/minimum-wage-mythology-will-hurt-workers/

Minimum wage proponents argue that such sacrifices may be necessary in order to keep an entire class of workers who can’t survive on a minimum wage from falling into poverty, but this myth fails to consider the many taxpayer-subsidized benefits minimum wage earners already receive.

At the federal level alone, full-time minimum wage workers with any number of children are eligible for both the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)—$496 in 2014—and the Child Tax Credit (CTC), which combined with the federal minimum wage of $7.25 equals or exceeds the poverty level for all conceivable family combinations. This effectively means that no one working full-time on a minimum wage in the United States is actually in poverty according to the federal government, and the taxpayer aid they receive dwarfs the minute benefits minimum wage workers gain from increased pay.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:48:42 AM by Septugenarian »
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Minimum Wage Irony
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
Many business owners, however, are already charging what they believe to be the highest prices possible to stay competitive, which means owners must either take a profit loss themselves or reduce employee hours. Myriad businesses are even compelled to lay workers off.

Minimum wage proponents argue that such sacrifices may be necessary in order to keep an entire class of workers who can’t survive on a minimum wage from falling into poverty, but this myth fails to consider the many taxpayer-subsidized benefits minimum wage earners already receive.

Class envy is good, Comrade.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »
Go Galt, burn that mother-lover down...and let the rabble live under bridges and eat government cheese!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
Another local "conservative" in my community has outed his true self by advocating an increase in the minimum wage. WTH is wrong with these people?!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
A lot of "conservatives" have inadvertently absorbed the economic unsanity.  Soak in and breathe it enough -- and it's everywhere -- and it becomes part of their thought processes by osmosis.  How many "conservatives" do you know that believe strict -- STRICT -- adherence to the Constitution is extremist?  Same thing, I reckon.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
Another local "conservative" in my community has outed his true self by advocating an increase in the minimum wage. WTH is wrong with these people?!

He he is really conservative walk him through it..

Okay  you are a business owner and the minimum wage just went up.. so you now must pay more for the same employee output. 
DO you raise prices?
Are you less likely to hire more help?
Are you more likely to not hire the unskilled useless person because the higher price will fetch you a more reliable and productive one?
Every time its the "poor" and "unskilled" who are priced out of the labor market.

and if he can't figure that out, tell them there is new law that affects him and HIS profession. Some self-rightoous third party decided that his position should earn 3X more than what it does now and mandates it. What does he predict would happen?

TANSTAAFL

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:35:30 PM »
A lot of "conservatives" have inadvertently absorbed the economic unsanity.  Soak in and breathe it enough -- and it's everywhere -- and it becomes part of their thought processes by osmosis.  How many "conservatives" do you know that believe strict -- STRICT -- adherence to the Constitution is extremist?  Same thing, I reckon.

The "tell" for me is attitudes about the TEA party. One can be a conservative without having particular interest in identifying with TEA partiers but if they show disdain for TEA partiers they aren't any sort of conservative I want to have anything to do with.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »

He he is really conservative walk him through it..

Okay  you are a business owner and the minimum wage just went up.. so you now must pay more for the same employee output. 
DO you raise prices?
Are you less likely to hire more help?
Are you more likely to not hire the unskilled useless person because the higher price will fetch you a more reliable and productive one?
Every time its the "poor" and "unskilled" who are priced out of the labor market.

and if he can't figure that out, tell them there is new law that affects him and HIS profession. Some self-rightoous third party decided that his position should earn 3X more than what it does now and mandates it. What does he predict would happen?

TANSTAAFL

All excellent arguments. But I doubt that he would even speak with me much less be open to a dialog with me. He is the chief of staff to our new mayor - the stealth dhimmicrat passing as a republican. I just find it amusing that these klowns ask for our support in the same breath as they condemn us as "extremists".

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
Most business owners I know,  when minimum wages had to go up (one of Illinois') , reduced hours.   So the employees didn't get a "raise",  but lost more pay from the loss of hours then they gained from higher hourly pay.     There is only so much budget for pay,   and when that amount is used up,  its used up,  simple as that.    In the case of  one guy,  he would have had to pay out an additional $250k to maintain the original amount of hours.    Even if he was willing to put out that $250k,  it still wasn't possible,  because that $250k didn't exist.   

That is something those politicians never get.   That "extra" money often doesn't exist.   

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:11 AM »
Liberal tax policy is based entirely on the fallacious premise that you can selectively target profits (or what they cynically call "surplus value") for taxation. This premise assumes that the taxed business will just eat the higher tax burden and not make up for it elsewhere. To be such self-proclaimed geniuses, liberals have an embarrassingly static view of human behavior.

The waters get muddier still when you factor in the effects of cronyism. No matter where a government lies on the ideological spectrum, the mere fact that it has power to force people and businesses around is something that will attract a coterie of cronies, who hope to ingratiate themselves with the government and encourage it to use its power against those cronies' adversaries.

The total absence of cognitive dissonance on the Left is something that never ceases to amaze me. They push for things like minimum wage hikes and elaborate regulatory schemes to "stick it to the fat cats", when it's those very fat cats who are actively encouraging such things. They're big enough to weather the extra costs, and their smaller competitors aren't. Simple as that. They've now used the power of the state to eliminate rivals without having to bother with the traditional means (i.e. offering a superior product at a superior price to the consumer). But the Left's useless idiots will cheer for their big victory for the little man over the 1%!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 07:35:19 AM »
Liberal tax policy is based entirely on the fallacious premise that you can selectively target profits (or what they cynically call "surplus value") for taxation. This premise assumes that the taxed business will just eat the higher tax burden and not make up for it elsewhere. To be such self-proclaimed geniuses, liberals have an embarrassingly static view of human behavior.

The waters get muddier still when you factor in the effects of cronyism. No matter where a government lies on the ideological spectrum, the mere fact that it has power to force people and businesses around is something that will attract a coterie of cronies, who hope to ingratiate themselves with the government and encourage it to use its power against those cronies' adversaries.

The total absence of cognitive dissonance on the Left is something that never ceases to amaze me. They push for things like minimum wage hikes and elaborate regulatory schemes to "stick it to the fat cats", when it's those very fat cats who are actively encouraging such things. They're big enough to weather the extra costs, and their smaller competitors aren't. Simple as that. They've now used the power of the state to eliminate rivals without having to bother with the traditional means (i.e. offering a superior product at a superior price to the consumer). But the Left's useless idiots will cheer for their big victory for the little man over the 1%!

And this situation just gets more and more perverse as progressive rot advances and infects more people with terminal mendacity!  It will only end the only way it was ever going to end...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »
Precisely. They inevitably end up creating more government enforcement to oppose the ancillary effects of the original policy. Rinse, repeat.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly