Author Topic: Edgar Froese, who was Tangerine Dream  (Read 2102 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Edgar Froese, who was Tangerine Dream
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tangerine-dream-edgar-froese-dead-20150124

From the experimentation of the early albums, to the classic mid 70's stuff, to the cheesy sounding soundtracks of the 80's and beyond, this guy has been a force in electronic music.  Tangerine Dream have had other notable members, Klaus Schulze and Christopher Franke (Babylon 5) among others, but Tangerine Dream itself was Edgar Froese's baby from beginning to end.

RIP.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Edgar Froese, who was Tangerine Dream
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
"The Keep" was one of my favorite movies from my stoner days in the 80's. It is clearly dated stylistically if you watch it now, but the Tangerine Dream soundtrack was always one of my favorite things about it.

The Keep (Michael Mann - 1983) - Molasar's Escape
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
For some stupid reason I always get these guys confused with Tubular Bells who did the Exorcist theme.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
"The Keep" was one of my favorite movies from my stoner days in the 80's. It is clearly dated stylistically if you watch it now, but the Tangerine Dream soundtrack was always one of my favorite things about it.

The Keep (Michael Mann - 1983) - Molasar's Escape

Yep. So often the soundtrack distracts from the film (sorry film sound editors!) but I rather enjoyed the addition.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »
I'll have to check out that movie.  I've never even heard of it.  I'm a fan of early electronic from Kraftwerk and the like. I never really got into Tangerine Dream though I am familiar with them.

RIP
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »
Tubular Bells is Mike Oldfield.

Kraftwerk came out of the same scene as Tangerine Dream, along with many others.  Some went New Age, Kraftwerk kind of moved towards Euro-Disco, for lack of a better term.  TD did soundtracks, and a few stayed experimental.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »
I'll have to check out that movie.  I've never even heard of it.  I'm a fan of early electronic from Kraftwerk and the like. I never really got into Tangerine Dream though I am familiar with them.

RIP

It often gets lumped in with Sci-Fi movies but it is really an occult/horror film. Very atmospheric, very moody but well-paced (IMO).

Boo!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »
Edgar Froses...electronic music pioneer...RIP.

Here is an old FM broadcast from Warsaw, 1997: Tangerine Dream (files available for d/l):
http://ambientlandscape.wordpress.com/2015/01/28/edgar-froesetangerine-dream-in-warsaw-1997-fm-broadcast/

Track 01. Waterborne 6:26 (10.8MB)
Track 02. Betrayal (Sorcerer Theme) 3:04 (5.2MB)
Track 03. Diamond Diary/Escape from Shadowland 5:06 (8.6MB)
Track 04. Sundance Kid 6:22 (10.7MB)
Track 05. Silver Scale 8:16 (13.9MB)
Track 06. Warsaw in the Sun 4:43 (7.9MB)
Track 07. Exit 4:36 (7.7MB)
Track 08. Stratosfear ‘95 8:15 (13.9MB)
Track 09. Dolphin Dance 5:14 (8.8MB)
Track 10. Logos ‘88 7:19 (12.3MB)
Track 11. Le Parc (LA Streethawk) 4:05 (6.9MB)
Track 12. The Blue Bridge 4:04 (6.8MB)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

RIP

It often gets lumped in with Sci-Fi movies but it is really an occult/horror film. Very atmospheric, very moody but well-paced (IMO).

Boo!

Just be prepared for a VERY dated presentation circa mid 1980s a la Michael Mann. Dramatic lighting, slo-mo, montage-type themes, etc. You get a glimpse of it in the clip I posted above.

The analogue synthy atmospheric sounds of TD enhances that 80's vibe almost to the point of making the movie seem like 80s caricature. But the story is super unique, the plot unfolds in some surprising ways, and there are a few scenes where the imagery is very visionary.

Great performances by Jurgen Prochnow, Scott Glenn, Ian McKellan, and Gabriel Byrne. I've always liked Prochnow, and his performance in this is great.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
Yes, Jurgen Prochnow was superb in Das Boot.  I think he should have been in more English-language films.  I always wanted the Alien franchise to do a story about an entirely different encounter, without the narrative baggage of having to shoehorn a Ripley connection, and always thought of Prochnow as being an appropriate actor for a Euro mercenary type.

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
Yes, Jurgen Prochnow was superb in Das Boot.  I think he should have been in more English-language films.  I always wanted the Alien franchise to do a story about an entirely different encounter, without the narrative baggage of having to shoehorn a Ripley connection, and always thought of Prochnow as being an appropriate actor for a Euro mercenary type.

You're describing Prometheus. Boy they sure mucked that one up!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 03:10:39 PM »

You're describing Prometheus. Boy they sure mucked that one up!

I didn't hate it. I liked it a whole lot less than I hoped, given the possibilities. But in the end, I was entertained, and there were lots of cool parts. They just weren't put together very coherently.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
I was liking the idea of Prometheus better when it was more of a direct tie-in to the Alien franchise.  It ended up being some incoherent kinda sorta Alien-like movie.

William Gibson wrote a screenplay for Alien 3 (which was not chosen) that would have been interesting. It put it on the backdrop of a theorized extension of the Cold War into the future, where the ComBloc had their own equivalent of space exploration and colonization, and ended up having their own encounter with the alien.

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
All this talk of Legend made me dust off the soundtrack and give it a listen.  I forgot who was on that.

Loved By The Sun by Jon Anderson - Legend 1985

Between Jon & Vangelis and Jon & Kitaro, there was Jon & Tangerine Dream.  Great tune.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
Legend was a cool movie.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »

- Thomas Jefferson