Author Topic: New DNC Chair Wasserman-Schultz: Federally Screen ALL Private Gun Sales  (Read 5228 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
So this would make my purchase of my buddy's dad's 30-30 Marlin for $150 illegal. Who the hell do these people think they are? Who the hell do they think WE are?

They'll never, ever stop, until we make them stop.

The Hill: New DNC chief wants to screen all gun sales

The new head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) is pushing for screenings of all gun purchases.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said the current law, which allows private firearm sales without background checks, is "outrageous." The Florida Democrat is sponsoring a soon-to-be-released proposal extending the screening requirements to all gun purchases, commercial or private.

"It is outrageous that gun buyers evade the background-check system every day, even in broad daylight," Wasserman Schultz said Monday at a gun-reform rally in Miami sponsored by Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

"While we likely cannot end all gun violence, we certainly can do much, much better," she added. "We have laws on the books designed to keep guns out of the hands of those that should not have them. We just need to close the loopholes and improve the information available to law enforcement."

The issue of gun reform rose in prominence in January after a shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., left six people dead and 13 others injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), a close friend to Wasserman Schultz.

The suspect arrested in the shootings, Jared Lee Loughner, had been expelled from community college for disturbing behavior and denied entrance to the military for a history of drug abuse. Yet he was able to buy a firearm and high-capacity ammunition magazines from local, licensed gun dealers.

The tragedy inspired a series of gun-reform bills on Capitol Hill, and prompted President Obama to urge tougher screening rules.

"We should provide an instant, accurate, comprehensive and consistent system for background checks to sellers who want to do the right thing, and make sure that criminals can't escape it," the president wrote in a March op-ed in the Arizona Daily Star.

The comments broke a long silence from Obama on the gun-reform issue, which is often a third rail in Washington, where the gun lobby holds enormous sway.

That a lawmaker as prominent as Wasserman Schultz has come out so adamantly for reform is "indication that elected officials are catching up with the public," said Mark Glaze, director of the coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. The reference was to recent polls indicating that voters — even gun owners — overwhelmingly support a system of across-the-board background checks.

"Her participation shows that there's a growing understanding that gun policy is about fighting crime, not taking away gun rights," Glaze said.

Wasserman Schultz will take the reins of the DNC later this month. Tim Kaine, the former governor of Virginia, stepped down to campaign for the Senate seat being vacated by retiring Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.). Donna Brazile is serving as the interim chairwoman of the committee.

Under current law, licensed gun dealers are required to conduct background checks to ensure that prospective buyers are legally eligible to own firearms. Felons, illegal immigrants and the severely mentally ill, for instance, are barred from owning guns. Licensed dealers must perform these screenings in all venues — including gun shows — but unlicensed dealers are under no obligation to follow them anywhere. Critics of the policy discrepancy call it the "gun-show loophole."

The coming House legislation will require all gun sellers to perform background checks on potential buyers — a change forcing private sellers to finalize their sales at licensed dealers or law enforcement offices, which have access to the federal database used to weed out illegal buyers.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) introduced similar legislation in the upper chamber earlier in the year.

"We cannot bring back those we have lost," Wasserman Schultz said Monday, "but we can honor them by doing everything we can to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn’t have them."

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) is expected to introduce the House bill when Congress returns from spring recess.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
What is outrageous is this rabid 2nd Amendment hating twit thinks every American with a gun is a homicidal maniac and every effort must be made to punish and discourage people from even owning a firearm!

She and her ilk can go straight to hell!

Go ahead and by that Marlin IDP!

Oh, and Debbie?  Pick one last name you moron and stick with it!

Oh, and also...

KMA!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
...Go ahead and by that Marlin IDP!...

Already did, long time ago. I'm just saying that she wants to make such purchases illegal, and burdened by federal regulation. An absolutely ridiculous notion.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Debbie the Mouth goes there, dragging Carolyn McCarthy behind her, they are going to find a world of hurt waiting to descend on their heads.

Unless they ARE looking to start the next Civil War.  And they may be .........

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
It's always the same lame players playing the same lame tune and I am beyond sick and tired of it!

It's always leftists and jihadis going out and slaying people, and all these putrefied proglodytes can think of is to come down on gun owners time and time again!

Fvck them!  Time to shout down their lies and filibuster every attempt they try to spread their propaganda, shove it right down their damned throats!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
And she comes from a state that allows private gun sales and you don't have to register a weapon at all.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Can't y'all take her on an Evergaldes tour and umm, forget to bring her back?!

;D

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
Can't y'all take her on an Evergaldes tour and umm, forget to bring her back?!

;D

You must be crazy she won't leave the city limits with a gun to her head. And now the bitch has more security.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
"Under current law, licensed gun dealers are required to conduct background checks to ensure that prospective buyers are legally eligible to own firearms. Felons, illegal immigrants and the severely mentally ill, for instance, are barred from owning guns."

And look how well that law has worked out.  Somedays I think they're the only ones with the guns!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
"Under current law, licensed gun dealers are required to conduct background checks to ensure that prospective buyers are legally eligible to own firearms. Felons, illegal immigrants and the severely mentally ill, for instance, are barred from owning guns."

And look how well that law has worked out.  Somedays I think they're the only ones with the guns!

They cannot or refuse to see the glaring flaw in their own position. It's a matter of rote dogma, reality be damned.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: New DNC Chair Wasserman-Schultz: Federally Screen ALL Private Gun Sales
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
Sure, impose a new layer of laws and regulations. As always, they will affect only the people who are not a problem, i.e. the law abiding sort.

Look for there to be some support for this from organizations that are ostensibly pro-gun. Requiring private transactions to go through the background process would create business for FFL dealers doing the transactions for a fee. "Rent seeking" I believe they call it. A feature of crony capitalism.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
Sure, impose a new layer of laws and regulations. As always, they will affect only the people who are not a problem, i.e. the law abiding sort.

Look for there to be some support for this from organizations that are ostensibly pro-gun. Requiring private transactions to go through the background process would create business for FFL dealers doing the transactions for a fee. "Rent seeking" I believe they call it. A feature of crony capitalism.

Let's not tar with too broad a brush here, please.  Gunsmith is an example of most FFL dealers; they chafe at the over-regulation and are not looking to benefit from them.

eta:  Matter of fact, the more of them there are, the more at risk are the dealers.  BATF is all too willing to hang you - confiscate everything and jail you forever - for a minor paperwork error.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:58:18 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Let's not tar with too broad a brush here, please.  Gunsmith is an example of most FFL dealers; they chafe at the over-regulation and are not looking to benefit from them.

eta:  Matter of fact, the more of them there are, the more at risk are the dealers.  BATF is all too willing to hang you - confiscate everything and jail you forever - for a minor paperwork error.

Good point.  If there is any lobbying for this crap it is almost assuredly coming from the real proponents of crony capitalism...the politicians and bureaucrats who feast on the blood of others!  Any heavily regulated industry or independent businessman knows this implicitly.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
Being the eternal optimist (yea right!) I continue to look for the silver lining. What twits (doggone it - I misspelled it too!) like shultzy here forget is that some 80-odd Americans already armed up. Yea, you can put a huge unconstitutional crimp in things, but it's too late to close the barn door missy!

Boneheads like her fail to do the math - they can slow us down but they can't stop us. There are literally more of us than there are of them and even if only 10% actually take to the gun that's 8 million sets of cross-hairs evenly distributed across these United States.

Molon Labe  mofos
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:40:42 PM by Alphabet Soup »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »
Being the eternal optimist (yea right!) I continue to look for the silver lining. What twits (doggone it - I misspelled it too!) like shultzy here forget is that some 80-odd Americans already armed up. Yea, you can put a huge unconstitutional crimp in things, but it's too late to close the barn door missy!

Boneheads like her fail to do the math - they can slow us down but they can't stop us. There are literally more of us than there are of them and even if only 10% actually take to the gun that's 8 million sets of cross-hairs evenly distributed across these United States.

????? ???? mofos

Growing by the day, too.  I am extremely proud of my Gunsmith; he's educated several people in the wisdom of exercising their 2A rights, walking them through the process of applying for permits and for CCW, and advice on gun purchases - and before he was licensed.  He's gotten at least six men and a couple of their wives growing that 80 million number.

RickZ

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
New DNC Chair Wasserman-Schultz: Federally Screen ALL Private Gun Sales

If that's what Wasserman-Test thinks, then I'm all for Democrats having cat scan screenings to see if they actually have a functioning brain.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »

eta:  Matter of fact, the more of them there are, the more at risk are the dealers.  BATF is all too willing to hang you - confiscate everything and jail you forever - for a minor paperwork error.

I don't doubt this is the case with most small FFL holders. I just remember my days as a seller on Gunbroker, and in other forums. If the government eliminated the requirement that firearms be shipped to a FFL, and instead allowed them to be shipped directly to the buyer, some of these businesses would be furious. It's just an unfortunate consequence of regulatory schemes that "compliance" can evolve into an industry of its own.

Have you heard the talk of NC eliminating annual automobile inspections? You can guess where the opposition comes from.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 12:55:37 PM »

????? ???? mofos

Growing by the day, too.  I am extremely proud of my Gunsmith; he's educated several people in the wisdom of exercising their 2A rights, walking them through the process of applying for permits and for CCW, and advice on gun purchases - and before he was licensed.  He's gotten at least six men and a couple of their wives growing that 80 million number.

Amen!  I got my brother, B-I-L & Sister armed up.  Will work on the nephews next when they get a little oder!

;)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
That stupid twat doesn't seem to understand ( and I'm certainly not going to wise her up ) that private gun owners will simply ignore a stupid law like that and conduct business as usual . SCREW HER !  ::evil::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
 All they seem to be working on is trying to make criminals out of the average citizen. But carful what you wish for in life you just might get it.
 Filippo Mazzie