Author Topic: List of potential GOP nominees category .....Establishment, Anti-, or both?  (Read 25371 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
This is as comprehensive a list of potential nominees as I can find, and I have sorted them into three categories, based exclusively on my own humble opinion.   Some of them do not seem like serious candidates, but were included because there is talk about them, or they have expressed a desire.

Clearly establisment types:
    Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida 1999–2007
    Chris Christie, Governor of New Jersey since 2010
    Lindsey Graham, U.S. Senator from South Carolina since 2003
    George Pataki, Governor of New York 1995–2006
    Bob Ehrlich, Governor of Maryland 2003–2007
    Carly Fiorina, former business executive and nominee for the U.S. Senate from California in 2010
    Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas 1996–2007
    John Kasich, Governor of Ohio since 2011
    Peter King, U.S. Representative from New York since 1993
    Mitt Romney, Governor of Massachusetts 2003–2007; presidential candidate in 2008; presidential nominee in 2012

Populist?Tea-Party?Anti-establishment?
    Michele Bachmann, U.S. Representative from Minnesota 2007–2015; presidential candidate in 2012
    John R. Bolton, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations 2005–2006; Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs 2001–2005
    Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator from Texas since 2013; Solicitor General of Texas 2003–2008
    Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin since 2011
    Ben Carson, author and retired Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital
    Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska 2006–2009; 2008 vice-presidential nominee
    Rand Paul, U.S. Senator from Kentucky since 2011
    Rick Perry, Governor of Texas 2000-2015, Lieutenant Governor of Texas 1999–2000; presidential candidate in 2012
    Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator from Florida since 2011
    Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania 1995–2007; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 1991–1995; presidential candidate in 2012
    Donald Trump, business magnate and television personality from New York
    Herman Cain, President of the National Restaurant Association 1996–1999; chairman and CEO of Godfather's Pizza 1986–1996; presidential candidate in 2012
    Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana since 2013; U.S. Representative from Indiana 2001–2013
    Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University since 2013; Governor of Indiana 2005–2013

These folks were not easily categorized. They have all done some typical establishment stuff, but have also marched off doing their own thing too, not just taking direction from the Establishment. I think Jindal is the likely one from this category.

Jim Gilmore, Governor of Virginia 1998–2002; Chairman of the Republican National Committee 2001–2002; presidential candidate in 2008
    Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana since 2008; U.S. Representative from Louisiana 2005–2008
    Susana Martinez, Governor of New Mexico since 2011
    Rick Scott, Governor of Florida since 2011; former CEO and co-founder of Columbia Hospital Corporation
    Rick Snyder, Governor of Michigan since 2011; former CEO and co-founder of Ardesta LLC

I expect 6 or 7 establishment candidates to run or at least start to run, and perhaps 5-6 from the other category. Both will winnow quickly, but there is a possibility that there is enough division in the establishment to get a real shot for one of the OTHERS!

I freely stipulate that everyone here will have their own opinion, right down to the "it doesn't matter" faction, but I thought it might provide interesting discussion.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I think you have Rubio, Santorum, and Daniels on the wrong list. Maybe Pence too. I think they're establishment Republicans.

I don't know anything about Bolton other than his neo-con cred, and I'm done with neo-cons.

I think Kasich belongs on your "not easily categorized" list. He's got a conservative populist streak, even though he's willing to disappoint for the sake of political pragmatism. Carson as well. Not enough is known about too many of his positions to accurately categorize him.

Walker '16. If you're going to form an opinion based on track record and electability, there is simply no other logical choice, IMHO of course.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
I can't disagree with your establishment picks.

Agree with IDP.
Seems like Pence earned that category too with his expansion of Medicaid

This is as comprehensive a list of potential nominees as I can find, and I have sorted them into three categories, based exclusively on my own humble opinion.   Some of them do not seem like serious candidates, but were included because there is talk about them, or they have expressed a desire.

Clearly establisment types:
    Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida 1999–2007
    Chris Christie, Governor of New Jersey since 2010
    Lindsey Graham, U.S. Senator from South Carolina since 2003
    George Pataki, Governor of New York 1995–2006
    Bob Ehrlich, Governor of Maryland 2003–2007
    Carly Fiorina, former business executive and nominee for the U.S. Senate from California in 2010
    Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas 1996–2007
    John Kasich, Governor of Ohio since 2011
    Peter King, U.S. Representative from New York since 1993
    Mitt Romney, Governor of Massachusetts 2003–2007; presidential candidate in 2008; presidential nominee in 2012
    John R. Bolton, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations 2005–2006; Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs 2001–2005
    Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania 1995–2007; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 1991–1995; presidential candidate in 2012
   Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana since 2013; U.S. Representative from Indiana 2001–2013
    Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University since 2013; Governor of Indiana 2005–2013
     Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator from Florida since 2011

Populist?Tea-Party?Anti-establishment?
    Michele Bachmann, U.S. Representative from Minnesota 2007–2015; presidential candidate in 2012 Don't think she can be considered a serious candidate

Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator from Texas since 2013; Solicitor General of Texas 2003–2008 His wife's Goldman and CFR connections worry me
    Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin since 2011
    Ben Carson, author and retired Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital Although he changed his mind, it will be hard to trust him on 2A
    Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska 2006–2009; 2008 vice-presidential nominee I like Sarah but have issues. Specifically, her endorsing less conservative candidates especially if they're women.  I would vote for her just to see heads explode.
    Rand Paul, U.S. Senator from Kentucky since 2011He has some cred. It bothers me that he's so cozy with McConnell. I get they're from the same state
    Rick Perry, Governor of Texas 2000-2015, Lieutenant Governor of Texas 1999–2000; presidential candidate in 2012 I suppose he's a conservative. I can't get over forcing little girls to take proven harmful vaccines.
    Donald Trump, business magnate and television personality from New York Donald's a loon and not a serious candidate
    Herman Cain, President of the National Restaurant Association 1996–1999; chairman and CEO of Godfather's Pizza 1986–1996; presidential candidate n       2012 Not sure he's really smart enough

These folks were not easily categorized. They have all done some typical establishment stuff, but have also marched off doing their own thing too, not just taking direction from the Establishment. I think Jindal is the likely one from this category.

Jim Gilmore, Governor of Virginia 1998–2002; Chairman of the Republican National Committee 2001–2002; presidential candidate in 2008
    Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana since 2008; U.S. Representative from Louisiana 2005–2008
    Susana Martinez, Governor of New Mexico since 2011
    Rick Scott, Governor of Florida since 2011; former CEO and co-founder of Columbia Hospital Corporation Hasn't he done some non-conservative stuff?
    Rick Snyder, Governor of Michigan since 2011; former CEO and co-founder of Ardesta LLC
Don't really know enough about these guys, except, maybe Jindal

I expect 6 or 7 establishment candidates to run or at least start to run, and perhaps 5-6 from the other category. Both will winnow quickly, but there is a possibility that there is enough division in the establishment to get a real shot for one of the OTHERS!

I freely stipulate that everyone here will have their own opinion, right down to the "it doesn't matter" faction, but I thought it might provide interesting discussion.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
I think you have Rubio, Santorum, and Daniels on the wrong list. Maybe Pence too. I think they're establishment Republicans.

Agreed, maybe not consistent E-GOPer's but enough in that camp to cause some concern, certainly Rubio gives me more cause for concern than the other three combined.

I don't know anything about Bolton other than his neo-con cred, and I'm done with neo-cons.

Yes, he is a staunch Hawk, but then again so was Rumsfeld and Cheney, and they have a history of going along to get what they want, no more sacrifices.  IMO, like W making Rumsfeld SecDef, a similar role for Bolton can be useful, but not the Oval Office.

I think Kasich belongs on your "not easily categorized" list. He's got a conservative populist streak, even though he's willing to disappoint for the sake of political pragmatism. Carson as well. Not enough is known about too many of his positions to accurately categorize him.

Yes, like the Neo-Cons, take these with a grain of salt, find a cabinet post for them, or an Ambassadorship, not POTUS.

Walker '16. If you're going to form an opinion based on track record and electability, there is simply no other logical choice, IMHO of course.

I fully agree.  This to me is the best possible candidate to select.  He may be the only one with the grit and the savvy to cut through the E-GOP frontal assaults as well as the back-stabbings and sneak attacks from the flanks.  If he survives that gauntlet, I think he could handle any DemonRat thrown at him and the media cheer-whores and Hollywhackos.

Having said that...unless he were to have carte blanche for four terms...we are likely out of time anyway...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
As to Kasich:

...     Matthew 25 includes a call for more entitlement spending and provides biblical justification for Obamacare, or so says Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

Promoting Obamacare in South Dakota, Montana and several national interviews last week, Kasich touted the Bible chapter’s depiction of judgment based on individual charity as a sweeping endorsement of government programs for the poor.

Kasich, a Republican, campaigned against Obamacare in 2010, saying the law’s Medicaid expansion would “stick states with large and unsustainable costs.” He unilaterally implemented the Obamacare Medicaid expansion in 2013.

The Obamacare expansion puts able-bodied, working-age adults with no dependent children on Medicaid at a cost of billions per year in new federal spending. By Kasich’s description, Matthew 25 amounts to a divine endorsement of the policy.

“Now, if you ever read Matthew 25, I think, ‘I wanna feed the hungry and clothe the naked,’” Kasich said when asked about Obamacare at a Jan. 20 event in Pierre, South Dakota.

“Now, I don’t know whether you ever read Matthew 25, but I commend it to you, the end of it, about do you feed the homeless and do you clothe the poor,” Kasich told Montana legislators when asked about Obamacare at a Helena press conference the next day.

Kasich cited Matthew 25 when defending his Obamacare expansion during a Fox News interview aired Jan. 22, during a Jan. 22 Hugh Hewitt interview and during an NPR interview aired Friday.

Regarding Obamacare critics, Kasich told NPR, “I don’t pay much attention to narrow ideologues.”

The Ohio Legislature voted no and Kasich vetoed their no.

So, NO; he's no conservative populist, he's a big government, establishment statist.

~~~~~~~~~~

From what I understand, Walker wants to see the border closed but he's swishy on amnesty for the millions of illegals here.  And that damn well pisses me off about all of them; they and theirs are not going to have to deal with these people living among them.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Scott Walker did what Sarah Palin could not do. He not only survived the onslaught of everything the Left could possibly throw at him - including the same slandering, false investigations, personal attacks, and threats - but his throne sits upon the skulls of those who attempted to take him down. He never wavered. He never let weakness show. Never wilted under immense pressure. He never indicated that he was being treated unfairly as a way to garner support. He just plowed through his enemies with a smile on his face. He structurally damaged the Wisconsin Democrat party in ways that are likely permanent. He demonstrated to Republicans in Wisconsin what can be accomplished with steadfast principled conservative leadership.

Walker is a serious man for serious times. He's the thrice-elected governor of a traditionally blue state with HEAVY Big Labor blue-collar influence. The people of his state have benefitted under his leadership. Employees who heretofore had no options have taken his lead and kicked Big Labor out of their lives.

I don't see anyone in the field who has 1/10th his claim on the nomination.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
I like Walker very much, myself. Also Cruz and Perry.

I just watched an interview with Kasich.....so he was not hard to identify as an establishment GOP. Government is there for the power and I do not like him at all for President.

Hearing Romney is about to announce that he is NOT running. I am disappointed if that is true. I want him fighting tooth and nail with the other establishment types.

I agree that many of these candidates are not serious, even if they are dumb enough to try.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Jindal is fo sho on the wrong list. He's  RINO first class. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Yes, he is of the I'm-a-good-manager-not-a-boat-rocker wing sure enough.  Pass!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Walker is clearly the best of the current bunch.  He has been quietly competent, and already survived a continuous blitzkrieg from the Democrat-Media Complex.

I obviously do not care for any position on amnesty other than "oh hell no" but I am willing to see if he clarifies that.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member

I saw him as one willing to try establishment ideas, but also willing to reject them....like he has done with common core.  Surely not a first-choice sort of guy, but not hopeless either. Of course, there are surely things about him I do not know. Would love to hear more about your perspective, though i do not see him making it through the first round....he is too unpopular in his own state.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

I saw him as one willing to try establishment ideas, but also willing to reject them....like he has done with common core.  Surely not a first-choice sort of guy, but not hopeless either. Of course, there are surely things about him I do not know. Would love to hear more about your perspective, though i do not see him making it through the first round....he is too unpopular in his own state.

I don't know much about Jindal first hand. The two things about him that I know the most are his awful SOTU response, and our trusted friend Alan warning us for years that he is a RiNO of the first order. Being that Jindal is Alan's governor, until I learn more about him, Alan's opinion holds more sway than anything else I hear about the man.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
In the end, it comes down to, in the words of our beloved former Secretary of State, "what's it really matter?"

Discussions like this are a little bit like masturbation.
Feels good for a little bit, but pointless.
And it will make you go blind!

We are past any political solution.
The parties are different sides of the same coin.

Sorry for the rant

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Walker is clearly the best of the current bunch.  He has been quietly competent, and already survived a continuous blitzkrieg from the Democrat-Media Complex.

I obviously do not care for any position on amnesty other than "oh hell no" but I am willing to see if he clarifies that.

You probably know that, if one were to say that, it would only be because they're lying to our faces. I'm resigned to the fact that the best we will be able to manage is some sort of "path to citizenship". I'm not one bit happy about it.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

You probably know that, if one were to say that, it would only be because they're lying to our faces. I'm resigned to the fact that the best we will be able to manage is some sort of "path to citizenship". I'm not one bit happy about it.

If the "path to citizenship" leads back over the Mexican border, to the back of the line behind every other human being from any free country who has chosen to obey the law, and then a background check and a hefty fine, then I'm good with that.

Flying Unicorns would be good too.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
  Romney pulled out.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  Romney pulled out.
I don't think so John...

::exitstageleft::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
  Romney pulled out.
I don't think so John...

::exitstageleft::

Boy I needed a good laugh. You were just at the right moment.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member

Agreed, maybe not consistent E-GOPer's but enough in that camp to cause some concern, certainly Rubio gives me more cause for concern than the other three combined.

Yes, he is a staunch Hawk, but then again so was Rumsfeld and Cheney, and they have a history of going along to get what they want, no more sacrifices.  IMO, like W making Rumsfeld SecDef, a similar role for Bolton can be useful, but not the Oval Office.

Yes, like the Neo-Cons, take these with a grain of salt, find a cabinet post for them, or an Ambassadorship, not POTUS.

I fully agree.  This to me is the best possible candidate to select.  He may be the only one with the grit and the savvy to cut through the E-GOP frontal assaults as well as the back-stabbings and sneak attacks from the flanks.  If he survives that gauntlet, I think he could handle any DemonRat thrown at him and the media cheer-whores and Hollywhackos.

Having said that...unless he were to have carte blanche for four terms...we are likely out of time anyway...

Agreed - My first choice is Walker, and second would be Cruz.  Both are the only ones, in my opinion, that have not backed down from their stated views for the country.  If either have a campaign office in this area as of now, I'll join the fray for that one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:06:30 AM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Agreed - My first choice is Walker, and second would be Cruz.  Both are the only ones, in my opinion, that have not backed down from their stated views for the country.  If either have a campaign office in this area as of now, I'll join the fray for that one.

That is no small point right there. Notwithstanding from the fact that "Path to Citizenship" must poll awfully well since everybody with an "R" by their name spews it like a robot, these two fellas are the only ones on the list who otherwise don't waver. Even Rand Paul has learned how to prolifically use nuance like a good little Republican.

- Thomas Jefferson