Author Topic: Weisshaupt's You Need a Home Theater Thread  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Weisshaupt's You Need a Home Theater Thread
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Okay, so I am going to stop piggy backing in Traps Movie thread.  I have had a projector in one form or another since around 1999.  My first projector was a 768x1366 Sony LCD -  It cost $5300. It had expensive up scaling tech that took 480i and projected it  in full resolution. I put a red filter on it, adjusted color with a makeshift Photo-sensor and loved the hell out of it. Compared to what is available now, its picture sucked.   Nothing compares to watching your movies at home on a truly big screen. It really changes how you perceive them, and really anything you watch - be it just TV or video games.  Its better when its bigger.  - and really good projectors are now available for less than a so-called "big screen" LCD or Plasma.

Also you need one  so you can actually take advantage of HD formats.  if you are watching blue ray  on a 65 inch screen, you probably aren't seeing the full detail . A human eye can only resolve that detail between 2-3 times the screen height ( 1080p 16:9aspect )  away - so for a 65 inch screen  for most people to resolve the detail, they would need to sit between 6-8 feet away, and that 65 inch screen is going to cost you as much as a projector would..  and yes, LCDs are getting pretty large now - some over 100 inches if you want to spend $5K on them..

Since most living rooms  have a much larger distance between the screen and the couch ( usually 8-12 feet)  You aren't really watching HD  unless you have a big screen  really 1080p HD only really  works on projectors in most home environments

Yes there are cons.. The first and foremost being Light control.  You need to be able to darken your room. It does not need to be pitch black, but the darker your room, the better your black levels will be - because no other light is hitting your screen , but a easily watchable picture can be produced now with quite a bit of ambient light

Second con is bulb replacement.  The projector  is not your turn it on and leave it on all day device.  If you want to watch news all day or have something else in the background,  you want a LCD TV.  However, if you are the sort that sits down to watch something, then  the bulb replacement isn't that big of a deal.  Bulbs run between $200-$500 depending on brand,  and last from between 2000 hours and 5000 hours.  I have only ever replaced one bulb in my lifetime. I have either bought a new projector (because I wanted one - I haven't had one "die")  or I move leaving the theater in place.  2000 hours (on the very low end right now)  is over 1000 movies.  If you watch 3 movies a week - that will last you 6 Years.  Anyone want to take bets on your big screen LCD lasting that long?

Third con is "you need a screen" - I say that in quotes because you don't.  Yes, its a better picture if you have a screen, but in reality, once you start watching, you really do not notice it.  We watched all of LOTR extended editions on the wall two years ago- and at something like 150 Inch diagonal- and was never bothered by the fact that it was being projected on the light switch , or the wall texture,  or any of that crap.  You brain just edits it.   SO IMO a screen is a nice to have..

I usually read the reviews over at projector-central when I am projector shopping, and I, so far, have never felt they steered me wrong.  The projector I use in my theater is a  Epson Home Cinema 8350 - it was the 2010 Editors choice there, and its still on the list of the 10 most popular (under $1500)  projectors sold.   It currently can be had for about $900. 

However I ran across a deal at New Egg today, that might interest those of you you you might like a good  "utility" projector. It was a 2014 "highly rated" model at projector central and new egg has it for $400

Its not a prefect projector by any means and compromises need to be made.  It is DLP - with a color wheel.  If you can easily see the flicker of florescent lights - this is NOT a good solution for you. Also the zoom is rather limited - and allows you to only adjust the diagonal by a few inches at any given distance from the viewing surface.  But if you have flexible placement options, and/or you are willing to watch the picture at whatever size it works out to  be given a certain distance (100 inches is at around  4 meters)  then iits a pretty good deal.   It is not 1080p capable - just 720p. If you watch DVDs (480p)  it won't matter,  but a good upscaling DVD player ( one capable of producing  a 720p signal from a DVD)  will improve the picture dramatically.  Blueray will still look great ( my previous projector was 720p and I watched blue rays on it all of the time)  but just not as great as it COULD look.. .

Bulb replacements are under $250  and the bulbs are rated for 5000 hours,  or a 2 hour movie EVERY DAY for  almost 8 years, or  about 5 cents an hour.

It has a small built-in mono speaker too, so while its not ideal, you can just carry this and your phone outside and watch a movie on the side of the house if you have a mind to.

So there you are. $400 and you have big screen entertainment and an easily portable big screen device that can be brought out and set on a coffee table at the next super bowl party or sleep-over movie night for the kids. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:49:25 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Weisshaupt's You Need a Home Theater Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
Ya had me until the flourescent lights...

::bashing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »
Ya had me until the flourescent lights...

::bashing::

Yeah, DLP uses a single chip with  tiny little mirrors and a color wheel to display different colors,  so that is 3 colors, shifting,  every 120th of a second or so, and the the 1/60 the cycle of a florescent cycle is visible ( and bothersome)  to you, you have a potential for this one to cause problems for you.. . because of the timing difference in the three colors,  if your eye moves across the screen  you could potentially see the colors separate - just as you see the florescent bulb flickering. Most people don't notice it because their eyes merge the flashing together at anything over 50 hz..  this operates at 120 hz, but many people can still find it distracting..   If it does interest you, it may make sense to go find a big box store that displays its projectors ( or has models for display) -any 1 chip LCD will do..    and see if you are susceptible to it  in this case.  But if the lights bother you , then you are at risk, and I wouldn't buy one sight unseen

More expensive projectors use 3 dedicated DLP chips, one for each color,  or other tech like 3 dedicated LCDs.  I have seen some cheap LCD based LED light source projectors...like this one  - But if projector central doesn't review it, its probably not a contender..  the single customer review on this one  says the fan is  too loud, and it probably is, and that can be a problem if you want to hear dialog instead of fan noise.   

I can't stress enough how much I love my Epson 8350 - Michelle just stole it the other day to edit a document as a group..  its a solid work horse (LCD based)  - which is why its still for sale and quite popular despite being a 2010 model. It was a $1300 machine when it came out, so $900 is a good deal on it. Granted,  that is not $400.  It has a slightly cheaper cousin  but not sure the $50 savings would be worth it. 

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
My wife says I don't...  Especially as we're bugging out in a few years and I couldn't take it with me.

So I'll get this kind of stuff, then!   ;D

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
My wife says I don't...  Especially as we're bugging out in a few years and I couldn't take it with me.

So I'll get this kind of stuff, then!   ;D

Your wife only says that because she hasn't had one before.  Michelle has let me buy 3 of these systems because she likes being able to watch movies on them.. a real movie experience , but on your own couch, near your own bathroom and fridge and away from those annoying "other people" --  You just sell it by telling her it gets that big ugly box out of a LCD TV out of her living room. A Projector,a small bookshelf speaker system and  a drop down screen and you are set. Or you can just have a hook and hang the screen when you want to use it..  You can make a perfectly good screen using a white king-size sheet and a couple of 2x2s to hang it from and to weight it...roll it back up in put it the in the closet when you are done..  Or just use the wall.  Yes,   a professional tensioned screen will  look better,  but it won't look a LOT better.

The $400 projector is 12x9x4 and weighs 6 lbs.  YOU CAN EASILY take it with you when you bug out.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:24:57 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
My Audio Gear is all Outlaw, and they are Running a B-Stock Sale

I have had excellent customer support from these guys in the past.  I even bought a B-Stock item,  failed to actually open and install it ( because I was moving, wasn't ready  etc)  and it DID have a problem (DVI Switch board was bad) - Even though it was 2+ years out of warranty,  they fixed it for the cost of shipping.

Speaking of customer service..

I just had my Oppo BDP-83 BluRay player fail on my last night..  The head mechanism is not mechanically coming into place where it needs to be. (This particular model has had a lot of drive tray issues - I was just lucky to not have them till now. The machine is 5 Years old almost exactly)   But Oppo's Customer service tells me to RMA it and they will fix it for free unless it requires an entirely new drive  assembly.  ( if it does, its a flat fee of $80 for an out of warranty repair - which still isn't all that bad since my alternative is  a new $500 machine and a new $100 19 in  rack bezel to go with it..)  I suspect its just a rubber belt that has become too loose to drive the mechanism to completion.  But they will also re-tune the heads and get it all spiffy for me ( When  I opened the case I was amazed at the complete lack of dust.. Nothing. Everything was pristine. It was a really good design. )

So I will let you know how that goes, but this is my second OPPO machine, and I have been very pleased with both of them..  Its so much nicer when companies stand behind their products.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:28 PM »
Got my Oppo Blu-Ray player  back today  - They cleaned the loader, replaced the optical unit, loaded new firmware and didn't charge me a dime. All I paid for this service  was the $28  bucks it took to ship the player via UPS with sufficient insurance.  No Muss no fuss, and I basically have a new player with the optical unit replaced.  They may cost a bit more, but so far buying Oppo has been worth it.   

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
Visual Apex,  where I have bought my last two projectors is running another sale.. the 8350 I am so found of is now $829 new

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-8350

but if you are willing to take a little risk, and/ or are not SUPER-picky about the picture..  the refurb model for $700 might be your bag

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-8350-R

Refurbs of course had something "wrong" with them and were returned. The factory of course has fixed the problem.. however the problem might have been a few bad pixels ( stuck on or off)  or uniformity problems  ( picture not uniformly bright over the entire screen area)    (Sheldon on Big bang knows exactly how many dead pixels Raj's tv has..)

- Typically if a projector is returned for these reasons, the dealer will take it back and it will get "refurb'd " in that the factory looks at it, decides it conforms to their QA guidelines and they sell it as refurb, hopefully to a less picky customer.

A bright red or green "stuck on" pixel would be distracting to me, but if they are really bad the factory will usually replace them. . A dead pixel I would  never notice. Most people will only notice screen uniformity issues when the picture is very bright or very dark or you are watching black and white.  Those very bright/dark scenes don't last long in most movies - so unless you are picky its not enough to become distracting. And most black and white material has other issues,  including non-uniformity within  the film itself.  So are these major? No. Most people will sit down and watch without ever noticing these things.

So if you are one of those, and just plan to watch it on a wall anyway,  this is a good chance to pick up an excellent HT projector for $700.

Both new and refurbed projectors are available as packages.  If you go that route either get a fixed screen, or an electric tensioned one. Pull downs and non-electric screen will develop wrinkles ( talk about uniformity issues)  within 4-5 years and you will then need to replace it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »
Oh man, I so want to hear somebody had the nerve to do so.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"