Author Topic: Sugar Farmers Sue over 'Corn Sugar' Campaign  (Read 976 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Sugar Farmers Sue over 'Corn Sugar' Campaign
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
A group of sugar farmers and refiners are suing corn processors for their attempt to rebrand high-fructose corn syrup as "corn sugar."

The Western Sugar Cooperative, Michigan Sugar Co. and C&H Sugar Company Inc. are asking the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles to end the campaign and order corrective advertising.

The Corn Refiners Association is seeking permission from the federal government to use the new name on food labels.

In the meantime, it launched a major marketing campaign to promote the concept. But the sugar industry says the campaign constitutes false advertising.

The lawsuit argues high-fructose corn syrup cannot be marketed as a natural product equivalent to sugar. High-fructose corn syrup consumption has fallen as consumer concerns about it grow.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/sugar-farmers-sue-over-corn-sugar-campai

Yeah, I'll just bet they are suing, the sonsabtches.  There are about twelve families responsible for sugar production in this county and Americans pay much more for sugar than the rest of the world, thanks to the protectionist policies instituted by congress at their bidding.

Once the sugar refiners get done with the sugar, don't be telling me it's any more "natural" than corn syrup; I'd say the term corn sugar is an adequate definition and tough noogs if the sugar "farmers" don't like it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Sugar Farmers Sue over 'Corn Sugar' Campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
BS!  Both are processed products that do not resemble anything they started off as!

At least corn sugar is specifically labelled and from a single source, sugar can come from cane, beet or whatever!

It is the sugar people who need to better disclose where their crap comes from!

But, they're the bigger bully eh?  We'll see if money talks and bullshyt walks...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
High-fructose corn syrup consumption has fallen as consumer concerns about it grow.

And then this. The "let's insinuate that there is a 'growing' amount of 'concern' about the competition's product" technique.

Corn syrup consumption has fallen for one reason only: the price of corn has gone up, largely due to the diversion of so much of it into an energy-inefficient "Biofuel" boondoggle.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »

Someone referred to it as "burning our food at the stake".

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
If the taxpayers knew how heavily subsidized the Sugar Cane Industry is in Louisiana they'd crap their collective pants . Constant research and reconditioning of the soil is paid for by the U.S. Government since sugar cane was never meant to grow down there to begin with . And then anyone with 200 acres in cane can expect a million dollar harvest before taxes ( which don't amount to much ).

Their boo-hooing doesn't impress me .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
 Sugar growers have nothing to bitch about because every ounce they process is sold at a set price. They don't export one grain of it because the government pays for any leftover they have even if they have to burn it. I tried buying sugar for export years ago and was told that if they sold me any at all they were losing money because export prices were half of what the government paid.

So this is complete bull.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

The price we pay for exiling Cuba.

The sugar example is exactly what theDonald wants to do with China.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »
Don't worry.  Before Obama is through, beet sugar, cane sugar, AND corn syrup will all be banned or taxed at 500%.  It's for the greater good after all.

Offline Janny

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
BS!  Both are processed products that do not resemble anything they started off as!

At least corn sugar is specifically labelled and from a single source, sugar can come from cane, beet or whatever!

It is the sugar people who need to better disclose where their crap comes from!

But, they're the bigger bully eh?  We'll see if money talks and bullshyt walks...

Exactly! The refined sugar is no more natural than the corn syrup!

There have been many attempts by researchers to establish that HFCS is "worse" than sugar, and they have all failed, yet their are still "consumer concerns" about HFCS because of propaganda like this!