Topics > 2nd Amendment/Firearms

ATF plans to ban most popular type of 5.56 ammo

(1/18) > >>

Glock32:
The ATF has decreed its intent to ban M855 ammunition, supposedly on account of it having armor piercing capabilities.  They argue that the prevalence of pistols now chambered in 5.52/.223 means this ammo must now be subject to the law against armor piercing handgun ammunition.  This is the same reasoning they used to ban further importation of surplus 5.45x39 ammo a few months ago.

However, in neither of these cases is the steel content of the projectile genuinely "armor piercing."  In the M855 5.56 round, there is a steel penetrator intended to improve penetration of intermediate barriers, but this has never been considered "armor piercing" by the military.  In the case of the 5.45x39 round, the steel content is a mild steel mainly used because it is cheaper than lead, and was common in ComBloc production. Its penetration capabilities are little better than a pure lead round, and certainly not up to true purpose built AP ammo.

Both of these strokes of some bureaucrat's pen are clearly meant to harass and annoy gun owners, specifically owners of AR and AK "assault rifles."  The M855 round is the most commonly used general purpose target round in the AR community.

The ATF will be accepting ignoring comments on the proposed regulatory change until March 16th.

http://www.nraila.org/articles/20150213/batfe-to-ban-common-ar-15-ammo

warpmine:
Want to bet they have no data regarding this ammo when placed in a short barrel pistol. The muzzle velocity is usually down a bit which translates into less energy down range which would certainly negate their fears, guys taking a hit through the helmet.

I'm now seeing the transitioning of 7.62x51 mm ammo to pistol formations as well. Are they going to his us there to?

Alphabet Soup:
Although I'm suitably outraged at the needless infringement of our rights it is tempered by the fact that this is too damned little and to F'ing late. I can't (won't) tell you how many multiples of thousands of rounds I possess (let's just say it is a number less than infinity), or how many firearms the fire them with but it is a number that should cause any gun grabber to blanch. There are many tens of millions of citizens who are just like me.

I have one simple thought for these KKKlowns: When you pull shyt like this it only hastens the day when I redistribute that collection according to my specifications, not yours.

Pandora:

--- Quote from: Alphabet Soup on February 14, 2015, 05:29:19 PM ---Although I'm suitably outraged at the needless infringement of our rights it is tempered by the fact that this is too damned little and to F'ing late. I can't (won't) tell you how many multiples of thousands of rounds I possess (let's just say it is a number less than infinity), or how many firearms the fire them with but it is a number that should cause any gun grabber to blanch. There are many tens of millions of citizens who are just like me.

I have one simple thought for these KKKlowns: When you pull shyt like this it only hastens the day when I redistribute that collection according to my specifications, not yours.

--- End quote ---

Shorter version:  "Do they now?"

IronDioPriest:
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Soup. I have what I want and need. Furthermore, I don't really feel the need to practice with it. I'm accurate and comfortable. If I do get the urge, I can use 30 or 60 rounds without making a noticable dent in supply.

That's not to say that the bastards who would attempt to regulate away our rights shouldn't be held in the greatest contempt. I'm just saying that what they're doing won't affect my behavior in the least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version