Author Topic: Making jam  (Read 7109 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Making jam
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
I don't usually make jam this early in the year--I tend to start in summer--but the store had a good deal on strawberries today so I got enough to make 8 jars.  I use Pomona's pectin and 2 cups of sugar for 8 jars.  Just sweet enough and can still taste the strawberries.  My mom sent the kids home with some of her homemade bread--so jam and bread was my dinner!  YUM!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Making jam
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
Very good.

Will you kindly describe the process of "make" jam? 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
Very good.

and can it be used for other berries like blue berries??And how long will it last.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
Very good.

You're too funny Pan.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
Very good.

You're too funny Pan.

Happy to amuse although I didn't mean to be.  Nor was I mocking.  I don't know how to make jam and would appreciate a recipe and detailed description of the process.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
Very good.

You're too funny Pan.

Happy to amuse although I didn't mean to be.  Nor was I mocking.  I don't know how to make jam and would appreciate a recipe and detailed description of the process.

::whatgives:: me too!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:47:15 PM »
Okay.  My mistake I thought you were pulling my leg.  Long day--had to have the younger ones at their games today and ended up with my older one calling me from work saying she was in an ambulance on the way to the ER.  She's home and fine now but kinda screwed up the day.  I would love to pass along what I've learned about making jam--I learned on my own and no one to share it with. :)

So will get to it tomorrow when I feel like I can make sense.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
Okay.  My mistake I thought you were pulling my leg.  Long day--had to have the younger ones at their games today and ended up with my older one calling me from work saying she was in an ambulance on the way to the ER.  She's home and fine now but kinda screwed up the day.  I would love to pass along what I've learned about making jam--I learned on my own and no one to share it with. :)

So will get to it tomorrow when I feel like I can make sense.

Oh Good Lord!  I'll say it probably screwed up your day!  You must have had a major hormone dump and now the ensuing exhaustion.

Whenever you find yourself in a position to put the plan up here, it'll be appreciated.  JF's anticipating as well.

RickZ

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
Pan, while waiting for LV's response, I'll start based upon what my mother used to do when making strawberry jam, which was a day long process.  You'll need two pots, one very large and deep one, and smaller but still large pot.  The larger pot if for the water to boil the glass resealable mason jars in.  That's the only way to properly sterilize them to prevent getting ill from poor canning.  Once the jars have boiled for five minutes, carefully remove them with tongs and lat them dry upside down on a clean towel/surface.  The lids are two pieces, one a reusable screw-thread part, and the other a thin rubber edged part.  You must also boil the resealable thread part, while buying enough of the thin rubber edged part to 'cover' your batch of jam.  The reason the rubber edged part is not reusable is that it is often dented in the opening, preventing a perfect seal which leads to spoilage of the jarred product.

For just about any fruit (my Mom made strawberry jam and preserves, peach preserves, blackberry preserves, and fig preserves, that I remember), you must prep the fruit by washing and/or peeling, plus stem removal (from items like strawberries).  Cut the fruit up a little, but too much.  Place into the smaller large pot and cook down with some sugar and pectin (that's the 'jelly' part of the jam/preserves).  Preserves are not cooked as long, and are not strained somewhat, versus jam, which usually has very little 'chunkiness' to it.  Once the batch has cooked down to the right consistency and has the right amount sweetness versus tartness, then you begin to put the product into the jars.  In the larger pot, remove some of the water until the water comes up to about 2/3 the side of the jars being used.  Each jar must be carefully filled about 80%.  My Mom then topped that with some sort of parafin/wax as an additional sealer.  Then you place the rubber edged lid on, screw the top down, and place in the water for a minute or two to fully form the seal.  Once that's done, carefully remove with tongs and place on heatproof surface to cool.  Once cool, store in a dark, cool place until ready to use.

Whenever my Mom made jam, she was in that kitchen literally from dawn to dusk.  But then she figured that if one is going to go through the whole process, make a big batch.  So she did make a batch of jars, both the pint-sized and the quart-sized, which made the canning two distinct processes due to the water lever required for sealing.

She also used to pickle items, like that country carrot/cauliflower one, along with figs, with the canning process the same, just the prep process different.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
My mom canned everything.
Veggies and meats
I don't know how many different pickle recipes she used.
She was more of a jelly person than jam, but did make some jams and preserves.

I wish I'd paid more attention

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
Pop still makes his own green olives.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
This was my process for canning 4 jars of strawberry jam last Friday. (I actually made 8—after I made 4 I decided I needed more).

I filled a canner with water (this is a huge pot—I don’t know the capacity—I bought in a box with all the other supplies for canning from the hardware store).  I put the metal rack (holds jars off bottom) inside and put the filled pot on the stove.  I put the clean/washed canning jars inside, resting on the rack (mine holds 7 jars at a time) and turn on the heat with lid on—I aim for med to high heat as it does take awhile to get boiling. I like to go ahead and put the jars in so they’re ready when the berries are. For jam I’m using the smallest jars—1/2 pt or 8 oz which is about a 1 cup.

I set out a towel next to the stove for the jar lifter, lid wand and wide mouth funnel. In a sauce pan I simmer the washed, new lids with water that covers them.  I put the washed, new or re-used rings (don’t use any with rust) on the towel next to the stove.  I have a damp cloth and a dry cloth on this towel also.

So while the water is getting to boiling point. I prepared the berries—washed, cut off stems, and mashed them up.  About 2 lbs of berries yielded 4 cups of mashed berries which is what I needed for my recipe. This gave me 4 jars of jam.

I use Pomona’s Universal Pectin for my jam.  I think it taste better that the sure-jell and others I’ve tried. YMMV.  It also uses less sugar which I prefer.  It comes with 2 little packets. From the small packet I make the calcium water (this helps jelling and so less sugar) and set aside. I mix up the pectin from the other packet with the sugar –1 cup for 4 cups of berries—and set aside.  See the Pomona instructions for amounts.

Okay, so when I was ready I put the berries on the stove – I get them to a rolling boil while stirring and add the sugar/pectin, stir for 2 min & bring back to a boil, then remove from stove and thoroughly mix in calcium water.

With the jar lifter I carefully lift out (and pour out water from) a jar.

Placing it on the towel  I put the funnel over it and using a ladle I fill the jar—leaving ½ inch space from top. (Measure a half inch down from a jar before you put it in the pot so you can eyeball it—unless you’re more anal and need to use a ruler each time you fill a jar).

Remove funnel and with the damp cloth wipe off any jam that may have spilled on rim.

Using lid wand, remove a lid from simmering water and place on jar.

Hold jar with the  dry cloth and tighten a ring over lid. Do not over tighten—just until it doesn’t give.

Place back into water using jar lifter. Repeat for other 3 jars. There should be at least an inch of water over the top of the jars.

Place lid on pot and bring back to boil.

At that point boil 5 more minutes (or 10 min—I’ve seen some recipes that say 10—Pomona says 5)

Remove jars with jar lifter to counter.  I put mine on a double layer of towels. You’ll hear the lids pop within minutes as they cool & seal (although it could take longer).

Leave for 24 hours. Then check that lids are sealed (“sucked” in so to speak—if you push on the lid with your finger there’s no give.)  After 24 hours remove rings.  Rinse and dry jar to remove any jam that may have stuck on it. Store without rings. Label and date jars.

At this point I decided that I rather have more jam and less fresh strawberries to worry about going bad so I made 4 more jars.
I guess it took a couple of hours from start to clean up.

If you want to make more in one go use a bigger pot for more berries and keep the water boiling. With Pomona you can double and triple the recipes at one time.

I often set out stuff and start the water boiling as I’m doing other stuff in the kitchen so the actual time making the jam is relatively short.

It’s not recommended to use wax sealing any more – I’d rather not mess with hot wax any way.

I may have overlooked a vital piece of information so please consult Ball’s Blue Book of Canning.   For recipes for smaller amounts of fruit and vegs check out the Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch Preserving by Topp & Howard. These two books and the recipes from Pomona I use the most.
This is type of canning is called water processing—suitable for fruit and any recipe where lemon juice has been added to make it acidic.  Pressure canners are used for many vegs, meat,etc. Canning recipes will specify the type to use.

(For blueberry jam—you’ll need 4 cups of mashed berries and ½ to 2 cups of sugar for 4 to 5 jars).

The first time I made jam it took me hours--now I can do it fairly quickly and by putting towels down where I work, clean up is a breeze.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
That's great.  Just what I needed.  Thank you.

Question:  any reason one can't double-stack the small jars, cutting the batches down to one?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 11:44:55 PM »

Question:  any reason one can't double-stack the small jars, cutting the batches down to one?

I thought about that once but forgot about it. My question would be if the top jars would hold steady. I suppose I will have to try this

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:06 AM »

I thought about that once but forgot about it. My question would be if the top jars would hold steady. I suppose I will have to try this

They would if you put another rack between the first and second layers of jars, no?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 12:29:23 AM »

They would if you put another rack between the first and second layers of jars, no?

yeah, was thinking that would do it

need to hunt up another rack--not many places around here sell supplies--I was glad to find a complete boxed set locally

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:39 AM »
You have an Ace Hardware by you?  Mine sells a lot of canner parts/accessories.  And there's always the 'net.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 12:34:35 AM »
If anyone has anything to add to my description for jam making I'd welcome it.  I had to figure it out for myself since I had no one I could learn from so I might have overlooked a trick or two.  Anyway, I tried to write it so a newbie like I was could get it with less error than I had.  :P

I know you can make pectin from apples--got the recipe somewhere but haven't taken the time to play around with it.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »
You have an Ace Hardware by you?  Mine sells a lot of canner parts/accessories.  And there's always the 'net.

That's where I got this set. It's about 10-11 miles away so I rarely get over there.  But one day when I was going by I swung in on the hope they carried supplies. Eureka! They did--in the big box with everything.  They don't sell the separate items.

I saw a recommendation to use a round cake rack but I haven't seen rounds ones in years.  My mom used to have them but not any more.

I'll have to find an online store.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Something about which I've always been curious that is only a tangent to this thread, but a thought which was sparked by it anyhoo...

What is the difference between jelly, jam, and preserves? They all have similar characteristics, jelly seeming the most refined - preserves the least. But other than that, I have no idea what the differences are in recipe/preparation method. You guys know?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson