Author Topic: Making jam  (Read 7058 times)

RickZ

Re: Making jam
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »
IDP,

http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/field-manual/know-it-all-what%E2%80%99s-the-difference-between-jelly-jam-marmalade-preserves-and-fruit-spread

Somewhere in the world, a confused soul begs the question…

What’s the Difference Between Jelly, Jam, Marmalade, Preserves, and Fruit Spread?

They all look the same, crammed into a glass jar. They all tend to taste the same when spread on toast or a bagel. But there must be a difference between them all, right? What sort of industry would bestow five different product categorizations for no good reason?

Thankfully, logic can relax – there is an explanation. The difference between these many fruity accoutrements lies in the form of the fruit contained.

In jelly, the fruit contained is in the form of juice. Thus, the only thing “strawberry” in strawberry jelly is strawberry juice. That’s why it’s more gelatinous and easier to spread – it’s just goo (juice and pectin, technically).

In jam, the fruit contained is in the form of pulp. So, your grape jam actually does have some thoroughly smashed-up pieces of grapes.

In preserves, the fruit contained is in the form of larger chunks. However, it should be pointed out that, in many places, the differences between preserves and jam are negligible and the terms are often used interchangeably.

The term “marmalade” is usually applied to citrus preserves (like oranges, lemons, limes, or grapefruits). If you’re wondering why they didn’t just call them “citrus preserves”, it’s because of the French.

Oh and “fruit spread”? That’s just a jam or preserve made without sugar.

Now you know.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »
 ::thumbsup::

Me loves teh interwebs!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 10:03:11 AM »
I haven't made jelly--I'd rather use the whole fruit. Plus it's more work & time--straining the juice.  I even found a recipe for using the whole grapes for jam rather than jelly.

I call mine jam and maybe it is or maybe its preserves. IDK. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
Thanks LV I like that you don't over do the sugar i think it kill the berry taste and we don't need it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
...I call mine jam and maybe it is or maybe its preserves. IDK. 

From the description offered by RickZ, it looks like the line between jam and preserves is pretty undefined, and you could call it whatever you want.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »
Call it good and it doesn't matter.  ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
Call it good and it doesn't matter.  ;D

::thumbsup::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
I guess it was good --I have one jar left from the original 8.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
Time to make more?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Time to make more?

looks like it

also have requests for apricot and i want to make orange marmelade (haven't made that before)

but have to wait for the right prices at the store