Author Topic: Physical Graffiti turns 40  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Magnum

Physical Graffiti turns 40
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »
"40 years ago today hard rock overlords Led Zeppelin released their landmark double album Physical Graffiti. The band had already cemented its place in classic rock’s premiership league on previous releases, but in many ways Physical Graffiti is the quintessential Zeppelin record. Everything about it is epic, from its double LP length, to its intricate packaging – featuring the cutout windows of a Lower East Side tenement, to the breathe of the material itself.  Both guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant assess it as the band’s most important work, an opinion which is backed up by its tremendous commercial success and the reputation it holds amongst other musicians. "

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2015-02-24/led-zeppelin-physical-graffiti-turns-40/

Even though they are hands down my favorite band this was not one of my favorite albums by them. I personally liked Album's I and II the best. But IMHO it is a great album non the less.................I remember in high school we were all excited about its release.  Man I am I getting old. It seems like yesterday............

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - Ten Years Gone
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:40:55 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Physical Graffiti turns 40
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »
I hear ya Magnum. I loved (almost) every track on 1&2 but Zed Lepplin's descent into disco turned me off. That said I'd still buy it for "Ten Years Gone".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l3Zui99fvE#t=24

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »
Man, I love that album. Kashmir is in my top 5 favorite songs of all time, and Trampled Under Foot is for sure in my top 20.

Man, this life goes ny quickly. It doesn't seem like that long ago that my buddy's older brother introduced us to Zep in his black-light-postered room.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:29 AM »
Man, I remember when that came out...am I that old?!   ::facepalm::

Bands like LZ, Sabbath, KISS, etc kept me from killing who knows how many people...people who lived back in that time remember a certain canned musical product that was sweeping the land back then that threatened to end all intelligent life on the planet...it began with a "d" and ended with an "o" and to this day I cannot utter the word and if I hear the music I immediately go into a killing rage...

Thank you Led Zeppelin for help in keeping me out of prison.

FWIW...LZ I - Damn good album, LZ II - Damn good album, after that you might pick a song or two out that are good, but those first two albums are the Crown Jewels of Led Zeppelin.

Oh, and d***o can rot in Hell for all eternity!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
Thanks for making me feel old.

I'll sound a bit odd here, but the one Zepplin song I can NOT stand any more is Stairway To Heaven. Way too much air play, I guess.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
I've always thought it was the most overrated Zeppelin album.  Not that Kashmir isn't epic.  It is.  It's just that unlike the first 5 Zeppelin albums, Physical Graffiti, and the two after this, has a lot of filler.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »
Not odd at all Alan, Stairway was the chick song, I too grew weary of it, and on our local rock station LZ got more play than anybody else...but it still beats the sh*t out of d***o!!!

Heh, filler...that is kind, but fair. 

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:51:09 AM »
I've always thought it was the most overrated Zeppelin album.  Not that Kashmir isn't epic.  It is.  It's just that unlike the first 5 Zeppelin albums, Physical Graffiti, and the two after this, has a lot of filler.

I don't disagree that there was filler. But IMHO, the filler was alongside some of their most brilliant work.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »
You guys seen this yet? It's been making it's way around for a while.

Zeppelin!

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
Nice!

Hey, where were these opportunities when I was starting school?

I remember in Kindergarten they made us get Flutophones!  You ever come across anything more useless or annoying than a  ::cussing:: Flutophone?!?!?!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »
Nice!

Hey, where were these opportunities when I was starting school?

I remember in Kindergarten they made us get Flutophones!  You ever come across anything more useless or annoying than a  ::cussing:: Flutophone?!?!?!

They're using recorders in 4th grade music class. Basically the same thing as a flutophone.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Magnum

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
This is why they are my favorite band

We're Gonna Grove - Led Zeppelin
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
Kindergarten was invented when I was in Grade 2.
My music teacher in high school had been an assistant to John Philip Sousa.
I could never associate a specific, or relative, sound with FACE & EGBDF.
I always told our church music director that I couldn't read music enough to hurt my singing.
I lost my high frequency hearing in 1967.
I really have no appreciation for music.
Not surprising, eh.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
Little kid's got that Immigrant Song groove nailed.   ::cool::

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:40 PM »
Kindergarten was invented when I was in Grade 2.

Heck, we did not even have the number two when i was a kid... a grade was what we called that slope in the Sierra mountains where the Donner party messed up their dinner plans.....LOL
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:06 AM »
This is why they are my favorite band

We're Gonna Grove - Led Zeppelin

That felt like a time warp.  I think I liked it!   ::thumbsup::

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »
Very nice!

I had a paper route in high school, spanning 2 towns (Butler & Kinnelon, NJ). The route ended near a small mall that had a record store. One day, not even that “in” to Led Zeppelin, I perused the Rock section, bought a copy of Physical Graffiti (which had just been released & which I still have in fairly good condition) and brought it home (to the horror of my mom!).

Fifteen years ago, I digitized that very copy, complete with the subtle crackle & pop of the vinyl and have it on my phone today – as a matter of fact I just played it, along with a bunch of other albums, on the way home from a conference in Moline, Illinois this past weekend.

And, fooling around with the iPad app, Paper by Fifty Three (http://www.fiftythree.com/) I doodled this about 2 months ago:

Favorite track is ‘Boogie With Stu’ (which may or may not qualify as “filler”…but it’s an ass-kicking tune for pounding the dash-board to). It's the only Zeppelin album I own.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:37 PM »
Your graphic is great!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 04:33:21 AM »
Thanks, Soup!
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
Since we're on the subject of Zepplin, Middle Schooler's do Zep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYuOZnAqQCY
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson