Author Topic: Leonard Nimoy, 83  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Leonard Nimoy, 83
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=0

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Born in Boston on March 26, 1931, Leonard Simon Nimoy was the second son of Max and Dora Nimoy, Ukrainian immigrants and Orthodox Jews. His father worked as a barber.

I was aware he had issues, not aware it was perhaps this bad. 

R.I.P. Leonard.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Leonard Nimoy, 83
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
I knew nothing of his politics and I don't want to know.  Godspeed, Leonard.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
I did enjoy the characters he played. Ditto with Pan.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
He created a stir when photographed at an airport in a wheel chair.  He downplayed it at the time, saying it was a long walk and he was getting up in years.  Obviously it was more serious than he let on.

RIP. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »
From the Washington Times article:

“A life is like a garden,” Mr. Nimoy said in the last tweet before his passing. “Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Live Long and Prosper.”

That's a pretty cool final statement to make to the world.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
I don't believe I've ever been affected quite like this by a celebrity death. I feel just one degree off from genuine grief. Like a piece of my boyhood that has always been with me has just been yanked away. Tears came to my eyes when I read the news. I haven't been able to think of much else since.

Get a grip.   ::praying::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Yeah...a familiar face from my youth has left...I admit to a bit of melancholy...

Plus Leonard was just a bit younger than my father...

For the Originals we are down to Shatner, Nichols, Takei &  Koenig.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
I don't believe I've ever been affected quite like this by a celebrity death. I feel just one degree off from genuine grief. Like a piece of my boyhood that has always been with me has just been yanked away. Tears came to my eyes when I read the news. I haven't been able to think of much else since.

I agree.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »

I agree.

What, that I need to get a grip? ::dueling::

Just kidding. I'm still super sad. I've read several things today that have made me well up with tears. Like this quote from "Wrath of Khan"...

"...Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

–James T. Kirk
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:21:12 PM »
What, that I need to get a grip? ::dueling::

No. the first part.  This is the first "celebrity" death I actually care about. We could all get a grip. It won't help.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:23 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/27/opinion/buzz-aldrin-leonard-nimoy-spock/index.html

<"Buzz Aldrin, the NASA astronaut best known for his Apollo 11 moonwalk, holds a doctoral degree in astronautics. He is co-author with Leonard David of "Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration," published by the National Geographic Society. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. "

(CNN)I was saddened to learn of the passing of Leonard Nimoy, a fellow space traveler because he helped make the journey into the final frontier accessible to us all.

Nimoy's Mr. Spock in the original "Star Trek" television show, followed by the series of movies, proved to be a seminal, enduring and endearing character.

While the late Neil Armstrong's "one small step for man," as we began our exploration of the Moon back in July 1969, is ageless, so, too, is Spock's iconic "live long and prosper," a phrase that also spans time and space.
Buzz Aldrin
Buzz Aldrin

It brought out the Vulcan in all of us; that, for me, translated into a peaceful progression of exploring the vastness of outer space for all mankind.

Nimoy's quite logical and always calm Spock struck me as an ideal person to have with us onboard a spaceship headed into the unknown. I also admit to being jealous of how much room was available on the USS Enterprise -- far from the cramped quarters allotted space travelers of past, present and future!>

more worth reading
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 11:01:46 AM »
Full disclosure: Yep, I was (am, are, is ;') a fan of Star Trek, although never carried it into obsession.

I'd love to know the back-story of the assembling of the TOS crew - I don't know who partnered Shatner and Nimoy but that person was a cinematic genius. The interplay between the characters is to a huge degree what made the show.

We know from Chris Pine's compelling performances in the 2009 "Star Trek" remake and "Into Darkness" that the Kirk character could be replaced, but I can't imagine anyone else playing Spock (Zachary Quinto tried but came up short).

Just a small niggle, but there was one thing that always chaffed my hide about Spock....let me 'splain.

You know who/what Spock represented, right? The Spock character was inserted as a lasting reminder of the foibles of We Foolish Humans. Even when we got it right, we still somehow got it wrong. And there was Spock with his arched eyebrow to remind us. He was the enduring wisdom to our impetuosity. OK, so what?

Roddenbury, bless his leftist soul, never understood the difference between feelings and emotions. I can't really hold it against him because nearly all leftists have the same difficulty. "OK smart guy - why don't you tell us the difference?" 

Feelings are the natural reactions to stimuli. Animals have them. Humans have them. Vulcans have them, too.

How do you feel?:

"I have a sliver in my hand and it irritates. I believe I'll pull it out".

How do you feel?:

"I feel a bit hungry at the moment. It's time for lunch".

How do you feel?:

"I just stubbed my toe and it hurts like hell!"

So what is an emotion? An emotion is the process whereby the human mind rationalizes a feeling.

How do you feel?:

"Øbama won the election and I'm sick to my stomach".

How do you feel?:

"I found out my girlfriend isn't pregnant and I feel like a million bucks!".

How do you feel?:

"I don't feel. Ask me what I think."

Spock, as a good (half-breed) Vulcan, often spoke loftily about his superior ability at suppressing his emotions - and I often detected the smug "Anything you can do I can do better" tone that not so subtly assumed that mere humans could not do the same. Naturally there's some truth there because we're largely taught by this depraved culture to obsess over our emotional (im)balance.

But Spock sucked at suppressing his emotions. Instead he repressed and denied his feelings. A reoccurring theme was his ongoing discord with his father. Several episodes depicted angry exchanges regarding Spock's choices in life. There were feelings there, and barely suppressed. And they were expressed emotionally by harsh argument. And it wasn't that Spock had no feelings of sexual or "human" attraction - he did. But several episodes show him fighting the "temptations of the flesh". He clearly wanted both sexual and intellectual congress with females (good for him!).

And then there was the ever-mocking arched eyebrow. How many times did he silently express the emotions of disfavor, disgust, or disapproval of his human shipmates by raising that one brow?

Alright, I see that I'm wandering toward the fringes of obsession so I'll quit. In spite of the technical flaws and the cheesy sets I adored Star Trek....and Spock.

In next month's chapter we'll explore whether or not Spock really couldn't tell a lie.

Live long and prosper

;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
I'd love to know the back-story of the assembling of the TOS crew - I don't know who partnered Shatner and Nimoy but that person was a cinematic genius. The interplay between the characters is to a huge degree what made the show.

It was an accident. I just watched an inteview with Nimoy this AM where he explains. He was in the original pilot with Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike, and was intended to be a mere curiosity. He wasn't even second in command. (That role as "Number One" fell to gene Roddenberry's wife Majel Barrett who also played Nurse Chapel, the computer voice, and Luaxana Troi).

After the captain was recast as Kirk, there was a push to minimize or eliminate the Spock character. The network was fearful that the Bible Belt would not favor a pointed-eared alien.

But the fan-mail poured in - and it was Spock that was the focus of ToS fandom. The network responded by asking that the Spock character take a more prominent role. This was a hard adjustment for Shatner, who was absolutely cast as the leading man, and who initially had a difficult time learning how to deal with sharing the spotlight.

With the emergence of Kelley's McCoy, the trio that would become among TV's most lauded "chemistry" combinations took form. But it was not by design. It just happened.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Soup, I read your analysis of the Spock character with someee great interest. In fact, an episode of TNG I just watched last week addressed this very thing.

Watch this conversation between Commander Data and Ambassador Spock to see Data call Spock  out for the exact thing Soup cites.

Spock and Data

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »
Fascinating.   ::saywhat::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 06:45:07 AM »
Although I'm not a sci-fi fan, I admit to watching more than a couple episodes of the original Star Trek. There's also no denying the impact the show had on the entertainment industry.

The local channel we have that plays old TV series played a "Bonanza" episode with Nimoy playing a gambler. Then there was an episode of "Rawhide" with Nimoy as an Indian warrior.

They must have run out of Nimoy material after that because the next show was an episode of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" with Lee Van Cleeve.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 07:03:48 AM »
There's also no denying the impact the show had on the entertainment industry.

More than that. Star Trek impacted the entire popular culture and its history. It wasn't just a huge franchise. It left a mark no smaller than Elvis or The Beatles. But rather than slamming into the culture and leaving its impact, Star Trek started with a seed, and grew exponentially into the culture over time. I think it is a totally unique cultural phenomenon.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
I'm going to get this out of the way mainly because of the irony. It's just to funny how this idiot hates Jews and yet........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DyiWkWcR86I#t=0

http://www.latintimes.com/nerd-chief-barack-obama-issues-statement-leonard-nimoys-death-299601

Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »
Leonard Nimoy - The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins [FULL VERSION] - best quality

Time to make the thread smile, again, after the insertion of a scoamf.