Author Topic: ATF quietly vested with property seizure-forfeiture power  (Read 5515 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
ATF quietly vested with property seizure-forfeiture power
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
DOJ claims that forcing the ATF to go through a judicial process in order to seize property requires too much time and money.

...the Federal Register (Vol. 80, No. 37, p. 9987-88) today reveals that Attorney General Eric Holder ... has now delegated authority to the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to seize and “administratively forfeit” property involved in suspected drug offenses.  Holder temporarily delegated this authority to the ATF on a trial basis in 2013, and today made the delegation permanent while lauding the ATF for seizing more than $19.3 million from Americans during the trial period.

Historically, when the ATF uncovered contraband subject to forfeiture under drug statutes, it was required to either refer the property to the DEA for administrative forfeiture proceedings or to a U.S. Attorney in order to initiate a judicial forfeiture action.  Under today’s change, the ATF will now be authorized to seize property related to alleged drug offenses and initiate administrative forfeiture proceedings all on its own.

The DOJ claims this rule change doesn’t affect individual rights (and was thus exempt from the notice and comment requirements of the Administrative Procedure Act) and that the change is simply an effort to streamline the federal government’s forfeiture process.  Those who now stand more likely to have their property taken without even a criminal charge may beg to differ.

H/T http://www.rightfullibertyreport.com/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: ATF quietly vested with property seizure-forfeiture power
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:05 AM »
If they think that is costly and time consuming!

::thinking::

Kinda like waiting for the electoral process to clean things up is too far far costly and even more time consuming...time we don't have to spare...so...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »
Further, the department claims that forcing the ATF to go through a judicial process in order to seize property requires too much time and money.

::creepycryingbaby::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
Further, the department claims that forcing the ATF to go through a judicial process in order to seize property requires too much time and money.

Well, a judicial process is what the Constitution obligates the government to go through.  The whole idea was to make it difficult for the government to seize property.

I don't know what frustrates me more, the fact that all these constitutional safeguards are dismantled right in our faces, or that people in this country allow them to be dismantled right in our faces.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 02:47:18 PM »

Well, a judicial process is what the Constitution obligates the government to go through.  The whole idea was to make it difficult for the government to seize property.

I don't know what frustrates me more, the fact that all these constitutional safeguards are dismantled right in our faces, or that people in this country allow them to be dismantled right in our faces.

I think the latter more perhaps...as they probably gave rise to the clowns that are doing the nefarious deeds...

Both deserve the same fate though.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:42 PM »
Be far less expensive to only steal property from those already convicted of something...................

Its insane that the government can just seize property just because it wants to.    Pity to the person who's property is in the gun sight of some government thug.   You know that happens.   Some small business person rubs some elected crook the wrong way,  and look at that,  the cops are stopping you for your payroll.

No trial,  no appeal, nothing.   Too bad if its today's cash for someones small retail business.   Good luck getting it back.

Frankly there should NEVER be seizure of property without a conviction for a crime.   And even with that it should be nearly impossible for the government to take something.    And it shouldn't come until AFTER appeals and all that.

Largely make it not worth while no matter what.  I would rather a crook keep something then some innocent NOT EVEN CHARGED, LET ALONE CONVICTED lose property.

What will likely need to happen is to prohibit all seizing.  Good luck with that.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »
You are 100% Rich.

But, once out it is almost impossible to put toothpaste back into the tube...but in this case since it was done by Executive Edict by way of a Cabinet Officer...it could all be undone...but only if someone of better character survived the charade we laughing refer to as the election process...

The other option is obvious...let them seize ash.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:16:19 PM »
Americans are not stupid cowards and I will be banning you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
Damn, did I miss something fun again!  I hate it when that happens!

Oh well, floaters usually resurface only to annoy again...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »

I thought it was just me. I went back and read all of the posts again to see WTF was going on.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
  sonofabitch  missed it again.  Pan has all the fun.  I'm telling dad when he gets home!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »

I thought it was just me. I went back and read all of the posts again to see WTF was going on.

A packet of anal-wipes made it onto the forum...under the moniker 'Conservative' & started the usual shyte. Pan flushed it.

Thanks, Pan!  ;)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
My pleasure.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 11:50:13 PM »
Dammit. I miss all the fun.

Thomas Jefferson

t55

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:55 AM »
The USA is now bankrupt warmongering police state. The elites control the government, media, and the corporations.

Americans either are ignoring the decay of the US or think that nothing can be done to stop the collapse.

We sit at our keyboards and scream at our computers, but feel powerless to do anything about the decline. The struggle is immense and too much damage has been done to save the US.

Even if we spent a year to fight to repeal mandatory helmet laws, new nanny state laws banning vaping, smoking, and hoverboards would be enacted.

What can you do?

We could protest and be arrested or killed.

We could use our guns and be killed.

We have the NSA wiretapping our phones, listening to our words, reading our emails, and recording our web history. The NSA has our pictures, knows our address, Social Security numbers, phone numbers, purchases, current location, plans, doctors, lawyers, and what we had for dinner yesterday.

There really is no hope.

The best we can do now is to just prepare, dropout, don't comply, don't consent, don't participate, don't vote, don't buy licenses, don't pay taxes, don't call the police, don't deal with the government, stop supporting this rigged system, and spread the word.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:34 AM »
Well, if there is no hope WTF are you doing here?

Also...until the Manchurian B. Hussein O came along "hope" used top mean something...just like "truth" and "American Exceptionalism" used to mean things...

t55

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
There's no hope. The US will be lucky to last another 30 years.

The best we can do now is to warn people to study history and prepare.

The USA is a bankrupt warmongering police state.

The line has been crossed. The Bill of Rights will never be restored.
Even if the government said that they have ended
NSA wiretapping, CIA torture, NDAA indefinite detention, and secret FISA courts, who
would believe them?

The 1% appears intent on causing an economic collapse, a civil war, and WWIII.

Those fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/lionel-shrivers-american-collapse

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 07:46:03 AM »
The New Yorker.

Ron Paul's greatest quips.

Is that it?

t55

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
Most people would prefer to ignore a hard fact rather
than face it.