Author Topic: TSA - All the groping and stripping and techno-gizmos can't stop this  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://weaselzippers.us/215445-secret-warning-issued-by-tsa-on-catastrophic-threat-to-aviation/

Thanks.

I'm sure the terrorists and travelling public appreciate this disclosure.

::facepalm::

It's almost like they want mass deaths to happen...eh?  Good for funding and greater control of these damned serfs!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: TSA - All the groping and stripping and techno-gizmos can't stop this
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:14:13 PM »
and why did we put the federal government in charge of airport "security"?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »
I don't think I'm buying this.

Even if you could secretly get the ingredients for thermite on board it is still very difficult to ignite the magnesium needed to set the mixture off. Unless I am mistaken you cannot ignite magnesium with, say, matches or a butane lighter. Every time I've seen it done it is performed with a high temperature torch such as MAPP gas.

And even if you were to get the mixture ignited it would burn through the cabin floor and the fuselage so quickly it would almost certainly not cause an airframe failure. It's not as if it could get to the fuel tanks. It couldn't damage the engines and it would be a lucky thing (or unlucky thing) if it were to sever a control line. Plus, a lot of controls are redundant and have backups. Sure, the cabin would be full of smoke but as soon as it burned through the fuselage that would be the end of it and the suction from cabin depressurization would remove a lot of the smoke.

I just don't see this as a surefire airplane killer. At least not the way a bomb is where there is massive damage that, combined with flight velocity, rips the plane apart.

One thing I am wondering about is the motive for releasing this info. Could it be that this is a threat that they have heard being discussed by the enemy? Or is it just another one of the BO admin's distractions? DHS looking to prod the congressional Republicans to fund the agency with no messy amnesty stuff?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:35:00 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:57:29 AM »
The fundraising angle did seem the most obvious to me, I did not consider the practical aspects of such a device, but given your information it does seem more problematic from a technical point of view...that does not mean those challenges could not be overcome, it would certainly require state-sponsored assistance to overcome all the hurdles and/or inside help...so I tend to come back on the fear and fundraising angle.  Libiots are essentially simple-thinkers (I use the term "think" in a general way only!) so over-applying rationales to their actions is relatively pointless, Occam's Razor usually works when analyzing these clowns...so I have to go with fund-raising.  If there was an intel chatter about such a device then certainly the Regime knows the technical hurdles too, so we end up back to fundraising again. 

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Even if you could secretly get the ingredients for thermite on board it is still very difficult to ignite the magnesium needed to set the mixture off. Unless I am mistaken you cannot ignite magnesium with, say, matches or a butane lighter. Every time I've seen it done it is performed with a high temperature torch such as MAPP gas.

You can - and we used to ignite with matches all the time.

My brother is a machinist and at one of the shops he worked at he had the opportunity to collect some magnesium shavings. These razor-sharp cuttings were thinner than paper and easily ignited by a single match. The resulting flare could then be used to trigger ignition of a larger chunk of the stuff. Once you get it going watch out!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
There has got be be some sort of boosting agent(s)...a match only gets about 450-500 degrees F, maybe 100-200 more for a large wood match...thermite by itself is close to 4000F...I think a good torch butane lighter could get aluminum or magnesium going, but they ignite around 1200F...then you would need another boost from something...till you get to 4000F, right?  Or does the burn temp of aluminum and magnesium go way higher than their melting point?

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
There has got be be some sort of boosting agent(s)...a match only gets about 450-500 degrees F, maybe 100-200 more for a large wood match...thermite by itself is close to 4000F...I think a good torch butane lighter could get aluminum or magnesium going, but they ignite around 1200F...then you would need another boost from something...till you get to 4000F, right?  Or does the burn temp of aluminum and magnesium go way higher than their melting point?
I would believe it's the latter. A nine volt batter is enough to trigger a model rocket engine and I believe it's composed of fine aluminum powder with an oxidizer.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
I would believe it's the latter. A nine volt batter is enough to trigger a model rocket engine and I believe it's composed of fine aluminum powder with an oxidizer.

You know, I believe you are correct...my Estes rocket days were a long time ago!

::hat-tip::