Author Topic: While were waiting: Caning as a basic.  (Read 3276 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
While were waiting: Caning as a basic.
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
Canning Blueberry Jam- How to Can Without a Canner

Too much sugar for my way of thinking.But I will look more up and post them as I get them.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
Re: While were waiting: Caning as a basic.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:22 PM »
I'm thinking I might need to look into getting a pressure canner--then I could preserve meats and most vegs.  I guess they're better than years ago when they would explode if not handled correctly.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:22:24 AM »
I'm thinking I might need to look into getting a pressure canner--then I could preserve meats and most vegs.  I guess they're better than years ago when they would explode if not handled correctly.

My advice is to get one with the regulator gauge only, without the dial.  I have both.

Even on a gas stove, trying to keep that dial at the proper pressure requires constant attention.  With just the regulator, once it's set, it's pretty much set.  Presto Model #174510

Link to more info.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »
Thanks Pan. 

I see I could use it for water bath canning too then I could have both pots going at once--like that idea.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:32:41 AM »
How to Can Butter :)

Couple things.

Those lids need heating so the rubber gaskets soften (as in the previous "canning chicken" video); just stick them in a bowl of hot water while you're doing the other tasks.

The other thing is, she's babbling about not using plastic as a reason for ladling the hot butter in a measuring cup and then pouring into the jars.  Duh.  The canning funnels are plastic and are meant for use with hot food.  Just ladle right into the jars, using the funnel, from the pot.

Lastly, wipe off the jar rims really well otherwise the lids won't seal.

Other than that, she done good.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"