Author Topic: Glock 43 revealed  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Glock 43 revealed
« on: March 19, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
Glock has finally entered the single stack 9mm market with their new model 43.  I have to admit to being a bit perplexed when they unveiled the model 42, a subcompact single stack in .380.  Myself and plenty of others were like "why not make this in 9mm?"

My S&W Shield already fills this role nicely, but I still see myself wanting one of these just....because.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/18/official-glock-43-single-stack-9mm/

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Glock 43 revealed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
Glock wanting another Glock...

This   ::speechless::  is my shocked face...

;D

The single-stack .380 market is full of stuff, and while there are some interesting choices (and I have more than 1 kind) I still haven't found anything more functional, comfortable and accurate than my Bersa Thunder, so...search over on that score.

In 9mm this makes sense, there are a lot of options in the high-capacity models, single stack makes perfect sense here as those offerings are less numerous, and the famous Glock reliability and performance is likely going to make it a big player, as it should.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
I have both a S&W and a Ruger in the single stack .380

They both work well and conceal well. I prefer the S&W, though, because of the integrated laser. I wanted to get the Ruger that way, too, but it wasn't available when I was buying one.

As for the 9mm, well...I decided to go down the .40SW route and just can't justify a whole other round of ammunition accumulation.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:54:33 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »
Glock wanting another Glock...

This   ::speechless::  is my shocked face...

;D

The single-stack .380 market is full of stuff, and while there are some interesting choices (and I have more than 1 kind) I still haven't found anything more functional, comfortable and accurate than my Bersa Thunder, so...search over on that score.

In 9mm this makes sense, there are a lot of options in the high-capacity models, single stack makes perfect sense here as those offerings are less numerous, and the famous Glock reliability and performance is likely going to make it a big player, as it should.

Yes, who would've guessed I'd be wanting another one ;).  My user name is one of those things that I've kept just because I've used it so long now.  Not exactly a lot of thought or imagination to it.

The G43 looks like it will do nothing the S&W Shield doesn't already do very well, but pistols, they're like potato chips.  One thing I do love about Glocks in general is the simple, uncluttered design.  I'm not a fan of manual safeties, and I like that Glock has only a mag release and a slide stop.  No safety or decocking levers.  S&W released a version of the Shield without a manual safety not too long after I bought mine.  Wish they'd had them like that when I bought mine.

ETA - I am with you on the Bersa Thunder.  I've had one for about 15 years now.  Fantastic little pistols.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:01:53 AM »
Trap - "...just can't justify a whole other round of ammunition accumulation."

Yeah, I hear ya.  The bottom of the lake is already pretty full, and the variety isn't bad.  I do kinda wonder if as some point (if there is time) to add this flavor though, as it is arguably the most popular...from a barter or lookie what I found perspective if anything.

Glock -

"...but pistols, they're like potato chips." 

It does seem that way!   :D

"One thing I do love about Glocks in general is the simple, uncluttered design.  I'm not a fan of manual safeties, and I like that Glock has only a mag release and a slide stop.  No safety or decocking levers."

They are almost like what a first generation semi-auto should have been...no offense to John Moses Browning, I love the guy, great mind, great innovator...but for handguns coming out of Colt for example the "safety" was you, same with the Glock...load it and rack a round and when you pull and aim it the safety is your finger.  There is a natural simplicity to them that is hard to hate.  You look at them and they are visually underwhelming and entirely utilitarian...yet they work flawlessly, they take a beating and look at you with indifference, they feel good in the hand and don't do anything to piss you off.

"Bersa Thunder...Fantastic little pistols."

Probably not a mistake that they were founded in the mid-50's and designed models after the Walther PP & PPK's.  I wondered if they had some German ex-pats in desgin and engineering, no proof I can see, though one of their early designers was a guy named Antonovich, which is Russian...but they too copied anybody they could during the war.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
AFAIK, Bersa was founded by Italian emigres to Argentina, some of whom had experience with Beretta previously.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
Could be, I forget the name now but another of their earlier designers did have a Latin surname.  Anyway, they did it right, easier to pay attention to engineering details in a simple design than a complicated one.