Author Topic: Sand Point Well  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Sand Point Well
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Okay,  probably behind the curve on this one,  because I live in Colorado and drinkable ground water usually shows up at 250'+ and my current properites already have wells,  so I didn't think about this much.  But I have a location way down the pasture were I want to water livestock. So its a matter of running a really long pipe from the current well or put in a new one. Of course, I am in Colorado and I can't sink another well, so I am doing the long pipe.   But hey, look at this:

A Sand Point well - so you can pull water from 20-25' or so. If you have property near a lake or river or you just know the water table is high,  you just pound this in and start pulling water out.

Also saw this pretty nifty drilling rig.. There are similar DYI options out there that would cost less of course - that basically involve using two hoses, and providing the drilling action yourself.. but you usually need a hoist because a 20' PVC pipe full of water is really heavy and will tend to crack and so forth.

I thought this system pretty reasonably priced for what it does..

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
Re: Sand Point Well
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:34:18 AM »
I've done several sand points, driving them with, basically, a fence post driver.  These were all in sand, along the shore of an island, where the water level was high enough.  There were two layers of clay to pierce which helped to ensure adequate water quality by excluding surface water penetration.  Each of these ran clear after a couple hours of pumping.  They resulted in potable water with some tannins which would stain whites to tan over time.

One other well was on high ground, blasted into sandstone with dynamite until a vein of water was found.  The water was a bit on the hard side.  That was back in the day when it could be purchased at the local hardware store.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).