Author Topic: Interesting Comm offer via III  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Interesting Comm offer via III
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
http://iiipercent.blogspot.com/2015/03/iii-comms-announcement.html

These do look like sweet little units, and a heck of a price.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Interesting Comm offer via III
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:04:21 PM »
Pretty cool.  I've heard about a brand of Chinese radios that are basically unrestricted in terms of their power output and band usage, I wonder if this is them.  Radio is an area I have pretty much zero knowledge of.  I need to learn more.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
Can any of the radio heads here tell us from the specs if this is a worthy purchase.  Range is the first thing I am concerned with.  I am also not  a com person nut I think something like this may be able to keep all of us in contact when TSHTF.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
At this power level the range will be limited, the GMRS channels (FCC license req'd) are FM UHF that basically have line-of-sight range as determined by the length of antenna, typically 2 miles, you can get a few more miles by turning it into a mobile unit, even more if you use repeaters and base units.  MURS channels are license free, range is generally short range and limited by low power and antenna length but provide decent enough communication.  These are more for close contact communication and not anything typically attempted with mobile or base SW units, but since GMRS channels are offered, if you have a decent mobile or base unit these would augment that operation.  These are intended more for small team use, a way to communicate should cells go dark, etc.  Better than bubble wrap walkie talkies from your local sporting goods store.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »
Oh, ok.  Yeah I think the Chinese knock-off radios I was thinking of were notable because people were buying them from overseas, and that they did not comply with FCC regulations.  They were essentially reverse engineered copies of a well known model, without the mandated FCC limitations. Sort of the radio equivalent of an unlocked smartphone.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly