Author Topic: Little Big Town's Lesbian Song  (Read 6363 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Little Big Town's Lesbian Song
« on: March 28, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
Hot off the Press! Country music stations pulling controversial lesbian/gay agenda song. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/03/25/why-stations-are-pulling-little-big-towns-girl-crush-from-the-airwaves-and-what-that-says-about-country-radio-today/

Well, not really. Country Music is in an uproar and several stations have refused to play country music's Little Big Town's hit "Girl Crush" because it 'supports the Gay Agenda.'

Give it a rest, country music fans! It's a tempest in a mason jar! I have to admit, the first time I heard it, I was wondering 'what the . . ." until I listened to the lyrics. She has a "girl crush" because she wants the guy, not the girl.

This has been a public service announcement from BigAlSOUTH. You are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWecuhUUvX0
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Little Big Town's Lesbian Song
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
I had the exact same reaction when I first heard it Al. I was thinking WTF, for about 20 seconds, until, you know, the LYRICS provided the twist.

Sometimes I think that the Left's caricatures of Christian conservatives are sometimes not too far off. (Did I just say that? Yes, I did - I DID say "sometimes" twice lol). Not really, but sheesh, when I hear people get their shorts in a knot over stuff like this, it makes me wonder what kind of morons are on my side.

It's a beautiful, poignant song of lost love poetically expressed through envy and projection.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:22:47 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
The lyrics to the song are ambiguous. Are they deliberately so? I can't say but believe yes.

Full disclosure:
1.) I hadn't about this until Big Al's post so I come at it with no pretensions.
2.) I don't GAS either way.

loaded up the song and watched it. It can be (and is being) interpreted either way. People hear (see, think, feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel) what they want. Mission accomplished.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
I had the exact same reaction when I first heard it Al. I was thinking WTF, for about 20 seconds, until, you know, the LYRICS provided the twist.

Sometimes I think that the Left's caricatures of Christian conservatives are sometimes not too far off. (Did I just say that? Yes, I did - I DID say "sometimes" lol). Not really, but sheesh, when I hear people get their shorts in a knot over stuff like this, it makes me wonder what kind of morons are on my side.

It's a beautiful, poignant song of lost love poetically expressed through envy and projection.
It's sinful and there you have it....envy, covet 
Yeah some on our side are a bit over the top on the mountain of stupid.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »
The lyrics to the song are ambiguous. Are they deliberately so? I can't say but believe yes.

Full disclosure:
1.) I hadn't about this until Big Al's post so I come at it with no pretensions.

loaded up the song and watched it. It can be (and is being) interpreted either way. People hear (see, think, feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel) what they want. Mission accomplished.

I thought the lyrics were only ambiguous until the obvious reveal. Then the ambiguity was in context, and the meaning was clear to me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

Full disclosure:

I thought the lyrics were only ambiguous until the obvious reveal. Then the ambiguity was in context, and the meaning was clear to me.

Then you're a better navigator than most. Go to the u-toob page and look at the comments. Go to Big Al's link and notice the comments by the band-members themselves. They don't say, "Clearly my intent was misunderstood. I was talking about losing my man to another gal". Instead they said, “It shouldn’t even matter if it’s a lesbian song, is the first thing” and  “That’s just shocking to me, the close-mindedness of that, when that’s just not what the song was about,” Fairchild said, “But what if it were? It’s just a greater issue of listening to a song for what it is.”

They're playing a sophists game of lies by omission.

To me that means "we crafted a lyrical picture that was certain to confuse and mislead" - "because we can".

Mission accomplished.

JMHO

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »
I might be biased. They're one of my favorite country music bands.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:24 AM »
They're playing a sophists game of lies by omission.

Ha. I really think what they are doing is selling records.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »

English Major?

(That was beautiful)
--------------

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »
All I know is the thing is stuck in my head now ..........  As seen in the comments, "#earworm".

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 09:33:37 AM »
Since I don't listen to much new country music, I have no idea who Little Big Town is nor the song. Sorry I can't falsely protest like the rest.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
Since I don't listen to much new country music, I have no idea who Little Big Town is nor the song. Sorry I can't falsely protest like the rest.

Little Big Town - Boondocks

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
"Boondocks" sounds pretty good, but the rest sounds like the rest of contemporary country.

I guess I'm old and old fashioned. Not too much new rock I like either.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson