Author Topic: Shelf Life  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Shelf Life
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:13 AM »
I have a specific question in mind, but I am also wondering if we should start a thread for this...?

Olive oil, my mom (unbeknownst to me) bought a bunch and wants to stash some away...the expirations dates are not very long...is that because of the plastic bottles they are sold in?  If we transfer to glass containers will it keep longer?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Shelf Life
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
I have a specific question in mind, but I am also wondering if we should start a thread for this...?

Olive oil, my mom (unbeknownst to me) bought a bunch and wants to stash some away...the expirations dates are not very long...is that because of the plastic bottles they are sold in?  If we transfer to glass containers will it keep longer?

What happens to olive oil is as it ages the so called quality drops off. Most here have never has fresh olive oil unless they live in California where there are some small producers that price it like Gold.I haven't had any since I was a kid we had our own olive trees and had oil pressed from them we never bought oil in Sicily and when a jug was near bottom and all the sediment was there my Grandmother made bars of laundry soap out of it.

Putting it in Glass would not be a bad idea because it doesn't transfer flavors to the oil. As long as it's kept in a cool dark place it will last for quite a while and if you can vacuum seal it it will last even longer. Tell mom not to waste her money on extravirgin for storage. If you can find it buy what is called pomace oil. It's a low grade olive oil that has a much higher smoking point than extra virgin but still has a pretty good olive flavor.

Some companies sell what they call light olive oil at the same price a virgin or extra virgin which is a total rip off because it's pomace oil.I buy pomace for frying and it's great for most everyday uses and it costs me between 12/13 dollars a full 128 oz gallon.

Stored properly it should last 2/3 years.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
Thanks JF!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline michelleo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:02:26 PM »
Here's a great link that talks at length about the oxidation process that makes oil go rancid and techniques to delay it.

answers.yahoo.com

One important note: rancid oil can still be used, it just won't taste as good.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
Here's a great link that talks at length about the oxidation process that makes oil go rancid and techniques to delay it.

answers.yahoo.com

One important note: rancid oil can still be used, it just won't taste as good.

That's why pomace oil is best for storage.
 Filippo Mazzie