Author Topic: Our Kind of Class Warfare: Let’s have a tax on political power.  (Read 1770 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
@ The Weekly Standard, P.J. O'Rourke applies himself to a delicious takedown of the boy who would be king. The meaty part is reposted below, but the entire thing is well worth the read.

Our Kind of Class Warfare
Let’s have a tax on political power.

...There are, of course, millionaires and billionaires who are leeches on society, who bleed our GDP and contribute nothing to the commonweal. There was, for instance, a bright young man who worked all the scholarship angles so that wealthy donors (with their tax-dodging charitable contributions) paid his way through fancy schools. He embarked on an urban scam called “community organizing.” Then he obtained a large sum for writing a book about his life and accomplishments at age 34 when he didn’t have any accomplishments and hadn’t led much life. He wormed his way into politics with all its perks and benefits. And now his big house, his stretch limousine, and his luxury jet are paid for out of the public treasury.

But a fellow like that is an exception. Most rich people provide some value to mankind—goods, services, or, at worst, fishy investments to make us temporarily feel like we’re rich too. And when even the richest of the rich loses $1,645,000,000,000 he has to give the big house, limo, and jet back to the bank. That’s real money.

President Obama has contempt for real money. And why not, since his government has the power to print all the fiat money he wants? Power is the politician’s paycheck. Power gets politicians all the good things money can buy and plenty of other things as well. Businessmen work for money because money gives them mastery over their own lives. Politicians work for power because power gives them mastery over the lives of others.

Obama, in pursuit of power, has been as greedy and irresponsible as any Wall Street tycoon in pursuit of money. After short-selling Hillary Clinton, he used the insufficient capital of one term in the U.S. Senate to engineer a highly leveraged buyout of the Democratic presidential nomination followed by a hostile takeover of the Oval Office. His political thinking is full of shady derivatives. His economic policy is a risky collateralized debt obligation. His campaign promises are junk bonds.

The wildly ambitious career of President Obama shows that power is more valuable than money. Taxes, by their nature, are levied on things of value. If we want to close the budget gap, we should let the millionaires and billionaires have their tax breaks. Their private property fortunes are comparatively worthless. It’s that treasure beyond the dreams of avarice, public political power, which needs an excise.

It’s easy to do. Like everything, power has a price. And the price is right there in the federal budget—$3.8 trillion in government spending for 2011. Tax it...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Our Kind of Class Warfare: Let’s have a tax on political power.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
Heh, pretty good.  Change "cut" to "tax" and the libiots should be all over it, right?   ;D

But I want a deeper bite!

Damn clever piece though!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
Of course, the unmentioned point is who would pay those taxes on Government entities?  They could simply raise the taxes on us.  But if they had to cut budgets to pay taxes, now that's a plan.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
Of course, the unmentioned point is who would pay those taxes on Government entities?  They could simply raise the taxes on us.  But if they had to cut budgets to pay taxes, now that's a plan.

Not if body parts were assessed as payment.  Or skin.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »

Not if body parts were assessed as payment.  Or skin.

I don't think that would work.  They'd just take an arm and a leg from us for real, instead of figuratively.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »
Whatever flushes the game...

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
How about a "Stupidity Tax" ? The IRS sends out a basic intelligence test every January and those with scores below 75% pay a graduated amount ... the dumber you are the more you pay . It wouldn't bring much into the Treasury but I think I know which political party would come out on the wrong end of the scale .

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
How about a "Stupidity Tax" ? The IRS sends out a basic intelligence test every January and those with scores below 75% pay a graduated amount ... the dumber you are the more you pay . It wouldn't bring much into the Treasury but I think I know which political party would come out on the wrong end of the scale .

We have a winner! Anybody that stupid would readily pay the tax anyway.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

We have a winner! Anybody that stupid would readily pay the tax anyway.
::thumbsup::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow