Author Topic: Food Safety Modernization Act  (Read 1084 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Food Safety Modernization Act
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/95/95-2/whatever_happened_to_the_food_safety_modernization_act.html

The new law gives the FDA surveillance powers. Surveillance is an interesting choice of words. There are other words that could have been used—inspection, examination, scrutiny. Anyone with a thesaurus could come up with a dozen more words that would have worked. Yet, they chose to use "surveillance."

<snip>

The FDA is responsible for the approval of pharmaceutical drugs. It's their job to ensure that the drugs are safe, the paperwork is done correctly, and the prescribed manufacturing process is followed. So, how are they doing? You decide. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, 100,000 people die and another two million are injured every year in America because of prescription drugs. Eight hundred deaths from raw milk in 13 years versus 100,000 a year from drugs on the FDA's "approved list." I'll take my chances with the milk.

What can you do? There will be public hearings on which foods should be considered high-risk and which should be banned altogether.

Every year hundreds of people unknowingly ingest contaminated food supposedly inspected.  Yet people, with full knowledge, who want to buy & sell milk straight out of the cow are about to become criminals.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: Food Safety Modernization Act
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:04:33 PM »
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/95/95-2/whatever_happened_to_the_food_safety_modernization_act.html

The new law gives the FDA surveillance powers. Surveillance is an interesting choice of words. There are other words that could have been used—inspection, examination, scrutiny. Anyone with a thesaurus could come up with a dozen more words that would have worked. Yet, they chose to use "surveillance."

<snip>

The FDA is responsible for the approval of pharmaceutical drugs. It's their job to ensure that the drugs are safe, the paperwork is done correctly, and the prescribed manufacturing process is followed. So, how are they doing? You decide. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, 100,000 people die and another two million are injured every year in America because of prescription drugs. Eight hundred deaths from raw milk in 13 years versus 100,000 a year from drugs on the FDA's "approved list." I'll take my chances with the milk.

What can you do? There will be public hearings on which foods should be considered high-risk and which should be banned altogether.

Every year hundreds of people unknowingly ingest contaminated food supposedly inspected.  Yet people, with full knowledge, who want to buy & sell milk straight out of the cow are about to become criminals.
It's not about safety it is all about CONTROL!
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
I just yesterday read another piece on the raw milk issue; damned if I can find it now.

The recap is the FDA is moving against Amish farmers selling raw milk across state lines because they're using deceptive practices to do so.  It's not that they're deceiving their customers, because they aren't; they're hiding what they're doing from the Feds.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
I agree DL it's about control.

The recap is the FDA is moving against Amish farmers selling raw milk across state lines because they're using deceptive practices to do so.  It's not that they're deceiving their customers, because they aren't; they're hiding what they're doing from the Feds.

I'm afraid a lot of folks wouldn't see this about fed control--they don't drink raw milk so why would they care?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »

The recap is the FDA is moving against Amish farmers selling raw milk across state lines because they're using deceptive practices to do so.  It's not that they're deceiving their customers, because they aren't; they're hiding what they're doing from the Feds.

I'm afraid a lot of folks wouldn't see this about fed control--they don't drink raw milk so why would they care?

That's the modus, I don't have a pond or a creek, Boeing's got enough money they don't need SC, raw milk ought to be regulated etc, etc.  And pretty soon the air you breathe is illegal.  Oh, wait!  The air you breathe is  illegal.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »

That's the half of them that doesn't feel nor see anything unless it intrudes into their personal bubble in a big way.

The other half believes they'll die by poisoning, faulty products or any number of malfeasances if they're not "protected" by the gummint, so any intrusion is fine.... until it intrudes into their personal bubble in a big way.

Then there's the folks who do see all this is basically about control, but it's fine because it's to control other people .... until it intrudes into their personal bubble in a really big way.

The problem with the last two groups is since they live in the "Idol"/"Dancing With the Stars"/five minutes of network "news"/be-cubicled/cotton-wrapped cloak of impenetrability, don't think for themselves, and aspire to create/produce/attempt nothing outside the box, bubble intrusions for them are highly unlikely.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
Like DL said it's about control. Those damned fools still don't see how we got to where we are, The only thing they haven't done is come into our homes and check the pantries. Talk about needing ammo.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:27 AM »
I just yesterday read another piece on the raw milk issue; damned if I can find it now.

I found it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »
 ::cussing:: nanny-state nazi's!  I hate  ::cussing:: nanny-state nazi's!

::rockets::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.