Author Topic: It shouldn't be this hard  (Read 23926 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
It shouldn't be this hard
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
Trying to get my BIL & Sister on the same page on a boat purchase...she wants a fricken speedboat and expects us fisher people to fish with it when it isn't tear-assing across the lake...which will take just a minute given most of the lakes in our area...us fisher people want a fishing boat we can actually fish with and where we don't get a hernia reaching over the side or need a 20' net to haul in our catch, and if it tears-ass across the lake and can tow a kid or skier or whatever, fine...but there is only one style of boat that fits both bills and it is a bass boat with good sized motor...but for some reason she doesn't like bass boats...

::gaah::

So, I told my BIL to make her happy and whatevertheheck she wants, I'll find a crappy 'ol POS, I don't care...I just want access to more damn lakes!

::lalanotlistening::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: It shouldn't be this hard
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:12:19 PM »

So, I told my BIL to make her happy and whatevertheheck she wants, I'll find a crappy 'ol POS, I don't care...I just want access to more damn lakes!

Dunno- you already have lost a lot of shiny rocks and guns in boating accidents....

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
Not much of a compromiser, is she?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:10 PM »
Weiss - What's the problem again?   ;D

Pan - Not usually a problem, but sometimes... 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
she wants a fricken speedboat and expects us fisher people to fish with it when it isn't tear-assing across the lake...

Allison 2003 XB. Problem solved.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
I swear I've seen its like before...

Live And Let Die boatchase

;D

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »
Look into a fiberglass fish-and-ski. That's what I have, and it functions beautifully for fishing and family activities. It converts into a fishing machine with tons of deck space with a few cushion/deck-panel flips. You can mount a bow-mount trolling motor on a removable bracket so that the wimmins don't bitch about it taking up room on the front deck when they wanna stretch out in the sun. Plenty of horse-power and speed for any activity.

New ones are dreadfully expensive. But you ought to be able to find something used in good condition that is affordable.

Buy local. Have it checked over by a marine mechanic before purchase. Don't buy without testing on the water. I was a novice boat-buyer and didn't follow those rules, and I now realize how extremely lucky/blessed I am. My boat and motor are both 1988, and the single previous owner took wonderful care of it. My naiveté didn't punish me, but that was pure fortune. Hardly a day goes by from spring through fall that I'm not grateful I didn't step into a lemon.

ETA: Just be aware that "fish-n-ski" is a specific style of boat, not a catch-all phrase. Lots of people selling used boats will label them fish-n-ski thinking that they'll attract all lookers, and hey, you can fish out of any boat, right? But that's not correct.

A fish-n-ski converts bow and stern seating space to fishing deck space. It'll have a livewell or two, and a bow-mount trolling motor. It'll have mounts for butt-seats at the bow and stern. It'll usually have an attachable ski-pylon. It'll usually have a deeper V hull than a bass boat, and its profile on the water not so "flat".

Nowadays they are really clever and efficient on how they accomplish the convertible space efficiency. But even on my old boat, they did a good job. I just fold my rear bench seat and two rear axilliary seats down, and flip a hinged panel over the top of them to increase my back deck from about 3' deep to about 5' deep. At the bow, I have two bench-seat style upholstered floor panels about 3' long mounted on storage covers on either side of the walk-through windshield. If I want the front deck space for fishing, I just remove both panels, flip them upside-down, switch sides, and the cushions are now nestled inside the storage spaces, with carpeted deck on top.

Needless to say, my boat's default position is fishing mode.  ::beertoast:: I don't get too much of this. ::cussing::
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:16:49 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
Wow.

It's, like...you are a wizard, ro something! 

My BIL picked up a 2005 Tahoe, 19.5" V6 Chevy motor...looks like this...

...has that fish n' ski configuration, there are seats that you put put on the front and back decks for fishing...it still is more speedboat than fishing boat but I have to bite my lip and refrain from any Mailibu Barbie comments or I won't be able to go fishing with it...even with my nephew begging and pleading and driving her nuts!

;)

He got it in town here off a dealer lot, having it prepped and I think he picks it up today, I will tell him to take it to a local landing and test it out, if there are any problems he can bring it right back.  Should be OK I hope, elder couple owned it and traded it in for a pontoon, or the dealer made it up...could go either way with these types.  And at least the General Mahem motor is pre-TARP & Obama, that is about as nice as I can be about them or Chrysler.

I guess I won't know anything more until I see it on the water...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
I don't see a trolling motor.... ::exitstageleft::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:05:26 PM »

Looks like an inboard too.  ::whatgives::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 06:34:22 AM »

It is an inboard, and there is a trolling motor up front with foot controls...I'll get pics when I see it, right now I only know what it kinda looks like and nabbed a pic of a similar craft.  After this weekend I should know more.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »

It is an inboard, and there is a trolling motor up front with foot controls...I'll get pics when I see it, right now I only know what it kinda looks like and nabbed a pic of a similar craft.  After this weekend I should know more.

My uncle has a 17' Cajun fish&ski with a 4 cyl inboard/outboard. Fishes pretty good and skis great. Plus hardly burns any gas.

Might be a pretty good find, Libertas.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
Ah, I see. I thought that was a photo of the exact boat. It does look pretty sweet. I'm a sucker for just about any pretty boat though. About the only thing I can't get excited for is a 16' aluminum with bench seats and a tiller.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:09 AM »
You may be right, Alan, I'll find out soon enough.

Geez IDP, dontchya like those sporty aluminum jobbies when they give 'em the hillbilly makeover and put seats that don't belong on it and other fine-crafted enhancements on 'em?

;D

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 07:05:58 AM »

Geez IDP, dontchya like those sporty aluminum jobbies when they give 'em the hillbilly makeover and put seats that don't belong on it and other fine-crafted enhancements on 'em?

;D

LOL, my dad had one of those once. PoS. He tried to get me to sell it for him when he didn't use it for a couple years in a row, as in, "know anybody who might want to buy her?" Nope, sorry dad. He ended up giving it to the son of a family friend, but I'm all but certain he wasn't doing the kid any favors. The motor was an ancient 25HP Johnson (looked about late 60's early 70's vintage). It was always a bitch to start-up, and it sat so much without use for long periods. Those old 2 strokes don't last long when you leave 'em sit.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »

;D

LOL, my dad had one of those once. PoS. He tried to get me to sell it for him when he didn't use it for a couple years in a row, as in, "know anybody who might want to buy her?" Nope, sorry dad. He ended up giving it to the son of a family friend, but I'm all but certain he wasn't doing the kid any favors. The motor was an ancient 25HP Johnson (looked about late 60's early 70's vintage). It was always a bitch to start-up, and it sat so much without use for long periods. Those old 2 strokes don't last long when you leave 'em sit.

As a kid we were lucky to be able to rent an old plain aluminum boat with a clunky old engine (boy, were those pull-starts fun when fussy!)...it's all we could afford then.  Now, there are junk yards with literally hundreds of these boats and motors, I'm sure you've seen them.  I often wonder how those places survive, who buys their stuff to keep the lights on? 

I shouldn't chuckle too loud though, I may yet get a pos as a back up, I doubt my little Audi would like dragging that 19.5" nearly 3k fully-loaded (boat and trailer combined) critter around, so if I cannot borrow BILs F250, I may need something just to get me on another lake.

:o

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »

;D

As a kid we were lucky to be able to rent an old plain aluminum boat with a clunky old engine (boy, were those pull-starts fun when fussy!)...it's all we could afford then.  Now, there are junk yards with literally hundreds of these boats and motors, I'm sure you've seen them.  I often wonder how those places survive, who buys their stuff to keep the lights on? 

I shouldn't chuckle too loud though, I may yet get a pos as a back up, I doubt my little Audi would like dragging that 19.5" nearly 3k fully-loaded (boat and trailer combined) critter around, so if I cannot borrow BILs F250, I may need something just to get me on another lake.

Well, MN has the highest boat per capita ratio of any state precisely because of those little PoS tin boats with 10HPs.

When I was a kid, we didn't have a boat either. My dad had a 9.8HP Merc with the screw-clamp connectors, and we'd rent a tin boat on vacations and slap that sucker on. We also belonged to a small private camp up by Harding/Pierz with two 14'ers for free use, and we'd haul the Merc up there a lot too. Problem was, the camp had two boats and about 20 campsites, so if we weren't lucky, other members would have them claimed before we got there.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »

;D

Well, MN has the highest boat per capita ratio of any state precisely because of those little PoS tin boats with 10HPs.

When I was a kid, we didn't have a boat either. My dad had a 9.8HP Merc with the screw-clamp connectors, and we'd rent a tin boat on vacations and slap that sucker on. We also belonged to a small private camp up by Harding/Pierz with two 14'ers for free use, and we'd haul the Merc up there a lot too. Problem was, the camp had two boats and about 20 campsites, so if we weren't lucky, other members would have them claimed before we got there.

It is funny...even with all the little pains in the butt encountered back then...some of my fondest memories growing up were fishing with my father in a rinky-dink little pos fishing boat...well, almost perfectly fond, my brother had to be there too!
 ::rolllaughing::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

;D

My second boat was a 14'X42" flat boat with a 20 hp Johnson. Sucker cranked easy EVERY time. I loved it. Still have the boat at the pond behind the house, but sold the motor. Bought the motor for $400 and sold it 2 yrs later for $600. I still regret it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »

;D

My second boat was a 14'X42" flat boat with a 20 hp Johnson. Sucker cranked easy EVERY time. I loved it. Still have the boat at the pond behind the house, but sold the motor. Bought the motor for $400 and sold it 2 yrs later for $600. I still regret it.

My brother had a plain old aluminum fishing boat about 25 years ago...it had an old Johnson too, ran fine.  I thought about buying it from him...I should have, but I didn't.

Tried the new boat out my BIL bought, Jeez Louise the thing is wicked fast!  And the back seats on the port and starboard come out and with extenders seat into the bow and stern for fishing, and they worked well, as did the Lowrance unit and the trolling motor up front.  The only thing is the trolling motor doesn't have the foot peddles, the handle extends out, I would like to get foot controls for it but not sure BIL & sister would like that added.  The livewell seems a bit smallish to me but works fine, as does everything but the speedometer, which doesn't matter really.

WI opener was this past weekend and all I was able to catch were 5 small northerns.  I only saw one bass of any size and not much else.

I think it is a bit cold yet, water temps not yet 60 so there could be more spawning and migrating going on.