Author Topic: It shouldn't be this hard  (Read 23917 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: It shouldn't be this hard
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 01:06:35 AM »
WI opener was this past weekend and all I was able to catch were 5 small northerns.  I only saw one bass of any size and not much else.

I think it is a bit cold yet, water temps not yet 60 so there could be more spawning and migrating going on.

And least you didn't skunk. Plus you now know the boat doesn't have bad juju for catching fish.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:08 AM »
Where'd you guys fish for the 'Sconny opener Libertas? I saw a Tahoe boat on the St. Croix and thought of you. We launched at that county park and fished a little downstream, and then for a while up toward the beach island.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33:43 AM »
Yeah, no skunky for me Alan, that honor went to my nephew...he was not pleased.

We just stayed on our lake in 'Sconi to test things out, was not anywhere near the St.Croix (except driving over a bridge in the car to and from the lake!).

Haven't fished a river in a long time...and I seem to recall partying more on the Croix than fishing.   ;D

I notice no meantion of a catch, IDP...   ::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »
We caught walleyes, but the minimum length for that stretch is 15" and all ours were under.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »
Did you get the Tahoe? How is it?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
Did you get the Tahoe? How is it?

My BIL picked it up, brought it up Saturday morning.  I put the pontoon in and then we put the Tahoe in.  It goes like a bat out of hell...it is scary-fast!  Trying to learn how to fiddle with the trim is going to get some getting used to, but I think that'll come quickly enough.  You have to ease into the power, let it settle and then dial her up.  Fishing configuration works good, seats in the back came out and go fore and aft, I wish the trolling motor had foot peddles, but it works.  And the livewell, bilge pump, depth/fish-finder and night lites all work.  It is goofy to start...you have to run a blower (they say 3-4 minutes, shorter if you pop open the engine hatch) before you crank it over so fume buildup doesn't blow you up, I have no idea how likely that is but it is what it is.  Need to pick up a spare prop and an anchor.  Trailer works really good, one of those low-slung jobbies, easy enough to get her on and off.  So far so good.  BIL financed it so not sure the extent of my responsibility, suspect I'll be maintenance, gear, gas and beer guy at minimum, but that ain't so bad.

::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:54 AM »
You can always upgrade things like trolling motors and electronics when you feel the time is right. The important things are, does she have a seaworthy hull, and is the engine healthy. All the rest is comfort, convenience, and functionality.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
"It's goofy to start..."

What you're describing is SOP for inboards (from my experience). I paid attention to what my pa was doing and as a result he let me take his pride an joy out for a solo cruise at age 13. I also used it for my first honeymoon:

(I don't have any pictures with me so I had to find something like her on the 'net)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
Sweet, looks like something I'd like to retire on!

But reality is looking more like...

::rolllaughing::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
Trying to get a pic of my new ride here....but it ain't letting me.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:45 AM »
If you are trying to go direct try running it through something like photobucket first, then give it a go here, it should work. 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
Sweet, looks like something I'd like to retire on!

But reality is looking more like...

::rolllaughing::

I guess I have you beat. I've got a trolling motor.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
Nice.

Pretty sure that ain't gator-proof...

::hysterical::