Author Topic: Talk Radio For The Disturbed, Unbalanced & Poorly Educated  (Read 4745 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Why?

Because, obviously, they are a fairly large demographic and they need to be served. I am referring, of course, to Coast To Coast AM with (now) host George Noory.

Yes, sadly, there are about 4.5 million very confused and/or mentally challenged people who subscribe to the anti-Occam's Razor system of belief in the most convoluted, complicated and least likely explanation for every day occurrences.

I stumbled across the show again (I had previously heard it when it was hosted by Art Bell) when I was driving late at night recently. XM Radio is a mixed blessing at times. Like with keeping Air America on the air. Coast To Coast is another such venue except it it tailored to the demonstrably weak minded.

Wikipedia lists the show thusly:

[blockquote]Coast to Coast AM covers unusual topics and is full of personal stories related to callers. While program content varies, most nights are focused on paranormal and pseudoscientific subjects such as the occult, remote viewing, hauntings, shadow people, psychic reading, metaphysics, conspiracy theories, UFOs, crop circles, cryptozoology, the Hollow Earth hypothesis, and science fiction literature, among others. Since the September 11, 2001 attacks, the events of that day (as well as alternate theories surrounding them) and current U.S. counter-terrorism strategy have also become frequent themes. George Noory also takes interest in the 2012 phenomenon and believes something will happen.[/blockquote]

The Truther Radio Network. Go figure.

Some of this crap I've never heard of. But a lot of it I have. Sometimes under the worst possible circumstances. Like when you are trapped in a car with one of these conspiracy nuts during a long trip. Or at a party and they try and convince you even when you make it clear you think they are nuts...they think of you as a challenge and pester you in an attempt to help you see the light about whatever particular bit of insane nonsense they are peddling.

And when that happens you ask yourself, "Where on earth do these idiots get this crap?" And then you remember Coast To Coast and it's obvious. It's the talk radio network for the insane.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:15:54 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Talk Radio For The Disturbed, Unbalanced & Poorly Educated
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:59:35 AM »
XM radio is a mixed blessing -- during the day I get Hannity ::snort::, Beck and Jason Lewis on FM radio broadcast at, or close to, the same time as XM.  What's the point?

At night, it's Coast to Coast or Rolleye James.  Ugh.

I used to listen to Coast to Coast out of pure desperation for something with which to fall asleep, but I've found podcasts to be much better.  I just wish I was aware of a few better choices to download other than The Warroom.  Levin's first hour is pretty good, mostly monologue; after that he mostly insults callers.

Got any suggestions?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:20:53 AM »
I have the same reaction to Levin's show. Sometimes I think he's too abrupt with callers, but most of the time they're just cringe-worthy in their banality and for some reason they always start talking while he's answering them. When playing the podcast, I skip past the callers most of the time. His monologues are usually excellent.

I don't have the patience for Hannity anymore. I don't know, he's just formulaic and as we've discussed on here before, a bit of a lightweight. I more or less accepted that's just how he is and that there's a place for his style, but when he started espousing the "(if you do this particular thing that Muslims don't like) you're endangering the troops" argument I decided I'd heard about enough from him.

Rush is still the top dog overall IMO.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »
Trap ... I'm surprised that it took you so long to feature a thread on Coast to Coast . I'm usually up around 0330 and I have my radio tuned to the FOX affiliate here but until 0500 it's Noory and his myriad parade of whack-job pseudo-scientists and conspiracy theorists ( ex. Alex Jones ) . I used to think it was funny , listening to the bone-headed callers to Art Bell and Noory but it eventually became depressing when it was finally evident how many really stupid and gullible people are out there in the dark . Then it just plain made me mad at the manner in which Noory feeds the fears and suspicions of his audience . What a sh*t-head !

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »
I like C2C  ::confused::
Not evey night. There are some real whack jobs

It seems I end up listening to one about every week to 10 days

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Trap ... I'm surprised that it took you so long to feature a thread on Coast to Coast . I'm usually up around 0330 and I have my radio tuned to the FOX affiliate here but until 0500 it's Noory and his myriad parade of whack-job pseudo-scientists and conspiracy theorists ( ex. Alex Jones ) . I used to think it was funny , listening to the bone-headed callers to Art Bell and Noory but it eventually became depressing when it was finally evident how many really stupid and gullible people are out there in the dark . Then it just plain made me mad at the manner in which Noory feeds the fears and suspicions of his audience . What a sh*t-head !

Heh, the fact that people can so fricken stupid never stopped me from laughing at their expense!  I used to listen to this crap back in the day when I would be helping my B.I.L. plow snow.  Caffeine, tobacco and C2C in the dead of night plowing like a demon...what fun!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:00:52 AM »
Fortunately, I've never heard C2C.  It's enough to hear them on Michael Medved's "conspiracy day".

They're sad people in a way--they desperately want to be significant so they latch on to a belief that makes them feel unique and insightful.  But that doesn't mean I want to be around them!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »
I used to think it was funny , listening to the bone-headed callers to Art Bell and Noory but it eventually became depressing when it was finally evident how many really stupid and gullible people are out there in the dark .

With any luck, they only come out at night.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
I listen to C2C once a month on my way to work. Mainly just for amusement. If I listen too long, I tend to pull out my tin foil hat.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »
As a kid I was always fascinated by the paranormal. Bigfoot/Yeti/Abominable Snowman, Chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster, Bermuda Triangle, aliens/UFOs, ESP, telekinesis, ghosts/spirits/demons, witchcraft/sorcery/magic, vampires/werewolves/zombies, etc, etc, etc.... I absolutely loved The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Karl Kolchak, etc. As a young man, the X-Files was among my favorite shows.

So imagine my delight one late night many years ago when I found Art Bell and Coast to Coast AM. "East of the Rockies, you're on Coast to Coast AM." I was always fascinated and sucked into the "what-if" possibilities. Even when the subject matter seemed completely outrageous, Art Bell always seemed to take it seriously enough to make me ever-so-slightly doubt my skepticism. There was something about the sound of the show coupled with the hour of its airing and listening to it on an empty highway that just hit me exactly right. When Bell said he was in real-life mortal danger because of the things he was "revealing", I wondered if he just might be telling the truth. I didn't actually full-on believe any of the topics of the show, but the possibilities were always tantalizing to me - on some things like "remote viewing" my mind was open - but regardless of my belief level, the show fed my lifelong boyish interest in the paranormal.

During the last several years of his tenure on the show (late 90s / early 2000s), I noticed a change. I don't know if it was me changing, or Bell. But I began to hear in his voice many instances where it seemed obvious to me that he didn't believe what he was saying. Many instances of him treating a guest seriously in words, but with a tone of condescension, patronizing, or disbelief in his voice. I still listened from time to time (usually on weekend nights on the way home from gigs), but I found it increasingly ridiculous.

One night, I heard him talking to a guy who said something to effect of, "The hooded monk creatures were far more influential than the lizard people." Art Bell treated this man seriously in words, but with disdain dripping from his voice. At that point I think it dawned on me that it was all complete shtick - utter BS peddled for ratings - and that Art Bell likely didn't even believe any of it himself. All that time, I at least thought I was listening to someone who believed what he was saying, whether it was real or not.

Then Noory took over and that was the end of it for me. It's still entertaining to listen to the late-night reruns of the old Art Bell C2C AM shows from the late 90s every once in a while if I happen to be in the car late at night driving on some dark road...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »
Well...let me tell you...I've seen Bigfoot.

Oh sorry, it is a pic of michelle.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
Just because you are overly paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

I try to keep an open mind. I don't believe in any of it,  but yeah, I have friends who are convinced the Flouride in the water is there to make us dumb ( and looking at the American populace, is it that far-fetched?)  and others who are firm believers in the NWO\Bilderburg\Illuminati World Domination\World depopulation\mind control  mega conspiracy. It doesn't matter anyway - if they are right about those things there is nothing we can do to fight it at this point.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:57:57 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
Just because you are overly paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

I try to keep an open mind. I don't believe in any of it,  but yeah, I have friends who are convinced the Flouride in the water is there to make us dumb ( and looking at the American populace, is it that far-fetched?)  and others who are firm believers in the NWO\Bilderburg\Illuminati World Domination\World depopulation\mind control  mega conspiracy. It doesn't matter anyway - if they are right about those things there is nothing we can do to fight it at this point.

::rolllaughing:: ::rolllaughing:: ::rolllaughing:: ::laughonfloor:: ::laughonfloor:: ::laughonfloor:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical::

Overly paranoid.....not after you.....That is funny right there, I don't care who you are....

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Taking advantage of the clearly delusional is sick. And from what I have read, toward the end of his tenure, Art Bell was doing just that...as IDP has indicated. Noory, on the other hand, seems to be a true believer in some, if not all, of this crap.

I remember, as a child, reading stuff on UFO's and the Bermuda triangle and stuff like that. For a child, it was interesting and the fact that the stuff was published in actual books lent some credence to it. But then I grew up. I was educated in logic and critical thinking. Not as much as I should have been but enough to ask questions rather than accept whatever crap was being shoveled by whichever media outlet I was currently plugged in to.

The generous application of Occam's Razor and the judicious application of the Sherlock Holmes saying (eliminate the impossible and whatever remains however improbable is the answer) is usually enough to get to the bottom of most puzzles. But there is an apparently very large demographic out there who feel the need to apply an Anti-Occam's Razor to things which the find puzzling.

I have known since I was a child that jet aircraft leave behind a water vapor contrail in the upper atmosphere. Who knew that there were people out there who are absolutely convinced that those white streaks in the sky are chemicals used to control the minds of the population? And they cannot be convinced otherwise. No. The simplest and correct explanation is not enough for them. They have to have a government conspiracy.

The X-Files for some people are real. And for them Coast To Coast AM is the one thing in the media that they can believe. Their world is a very confusing and complicated place...wheels within wheels within wheels that ordinary humans cannot possibly comprehend where there are thousands of layers of secrecy in a grand conspiracy.

There are certain aspects of other shows (like, say, Oprah) that also feed this nonsense but Coast To Coast AM delivers nothing other than full time illogic, delusion and paranoia and does so in a way that makes it all the more real for their demented listeners*.

*I do not include those who occasionally listen for amusement or who accidentally stumble across the show and listen in much the same way that one would drive slowly past an auto accident.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
The common characteristic of the kooky Late Nighters is the way they laugh at you, you know, like you are the insane one. I would say condescendingly delusional. BlueBoy like.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
What I hate is when people insist the little gray aliens come from Alpha Centauri. What morons! Everybody knows they're from Alpha Proxima. Geez, this is elementary stuff.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »
As a kid I was always fascinated by the paranormal. Bigfoot/Yeti/Abominable Snowman, Chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster, Bermuda Triangle, aliens/UFOs, ESP, telekinesis, ghosts/spirits/demons, witchcraft/sorcery/magic, vampires/werewolves/zombies, etc, etc, etc.... I absolutely loved The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Karl Kolchak, etc. As a young man, the X-Files was among my favorite shows.

So imagine my delight one late night many years ago when I found Art Bell and Coast to Coast AM. "East of the Rockies, you're on Coast to Coast AM." I was always fascinated and sucked into the "what-if" possibilities. Even when the subject matter seemed completely outrageous, Art Bell always seemed to take it seriously enough to make me ever-so-slightly doubt my skepticism. There was something about the sound of the show coupled with the hour of its airing and listening to it on an empty highway that just hit me exactly right. When Bell said he was in real-life mortal danger because of the things he was "revealing", I wondered if he just might be telling the truth. I didn't actually full-on believe any of the topics of the show, but the possibilities were always tantalizing to me - on some things like "remote viewing" my mind was open - but regardless of my belief level, the show fed my lifelong boyish interest in the paranormal.

During the last several years of his tenure on the show (late 90s / early 2000s), I noticed a change. I don't know if it was me changing, or Bell. But I began to hear in his voice many instances where it seemed obvious to me that he didn't believe what he was saying. Many instances of him treating a guest seriously in words, but with a tone of condescension, patronizing, or disbelief in his voice. I still listened from time to time (usually on weekend nights on the way home from gigs), but I found it increasingly ridiculous.

One night, I heard him talking to a guy who said something to effect of, "The hooded monk creatures were far more influential than the lizard people." Art Bell treated this man seriously in words, but with disdain dripping from his voice. At that point I think it dawned on me that it was all complete shtick - utter BS peddled for ratings - and that Art Bell likely didn't even believe any of it himself. All that time, I at least thought I was listening to someone who believed what he was saying, whether it was real or not.

Then Noory took over and that was the end of it for me. It's still entertaining to listen to the late-night reruns of the old Art Bell C2C AM shows from the late 90s every once in a while if I happen to be in the car late at night driving on some dark road...

OMG, remember that boob from last election..."don't blame me, I voted for Lizard people"?!

They walk among us!

::exitstageleft::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
Of course, the plus side of the Noory disciples is they sleep during the day.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
Yeah, but that means they are creeping around while you sleep.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 03:58:30 PM »
Why is it that Space Aliens interested in acquiring good specimens of earthly humanity keep picking on Noory's audience ? All they're going to come away with is one hell of a fvcked up opinion of the human race !  ::whatgives::