Author Topic: Bird Watching...kinda...  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Bird Watching...kinda...
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
OK, I like birds, I feed the little tweety birds, put up bird houses and set out birdbath's...I'll even watch them from time to time from little Hummingbirds to Eagles...

But I am not one who travels to see them, cart binoculars and cameras and sit starring at them for hours or days...

Having said that, this kind of stuff from the bird's point of view is pretty cool...

http://iotwreport.com/eagle-in-flight-eagle-pov/

Can I see some hunting and takedown clips?!   :D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Bird Watching...kinda...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
We have a pretty good array of birdies around the farm. There's a mating pair of Doves that roost in a tree next door. The provide a soft and comforting cooing in the mornings and evenings. We have Hummingbirds and are trying to attract more.

And then there are the predators. The Steller Jays terrorize the Hummingbirds and other little tweety's. And there's Bald Eagles and (I think) Redtail Hawks. About three weeks ago I was out in the backyard tending to the garden when two hawks flew in, landing less than six feet from me in my cedar tree. They were chasing a little tweety that escaped into the foliage. I've never seen one up so close before - man were they huge!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Bird Watching...kinda...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
I see eagles at the lake and at home regularly...being by water puts them in the flight path.  Hawks at the lake once in a while, hawk at home comes by occasionally, after the doves mysteriously (not so) disappear he goes away too...then new ones move in...a month later...

Eagle at the lake this past weekend was right over me as I sat on the dock...did that death-spiral thing and kept getting lower, was eyeballing something in the water...it must have gone deeper cause he leveled off at the last second and flew low over the water to the west shore...

Have owls in the back...big ones...Horned/Northern...I forget which...rarely catch them in flight...I like 'em though, nice call and they are the stealth fighters of raptor's...

We get some cranes and such too...the new family of mallards has their young in the air...future dinner for hunters this fall...

Saw two gulls!  Not a good sign...usually don't see them till mid-August...that and fog int he area seem to indicate cool weather returning a month earlier than normal!

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.