Author Topic: Moby Dick  (Read 17692 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Moby Dick
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
He ain't white and he ain't a whale...but today in between chores at the lake I was fishing off the dock and I looked down and all of a sudden I saw all the little hatchlings scatter.  I knew a bigger predator had to be approaching and thought it would be a northern cruising the shallows as is the norm in spring.  I had a rod with a fake minnoiw on it ready to go, I've caught em by dangling a bait in front of them before, but what cruised into view was the biggest bass I have ever seen in our lake,  7-8 lbs easy!  He didn't like my offering and I proceeded to throw everything I had in my tackleboxes in the area, zip zero nada!

But now I know he is there.

The hunt for Moby has just begun.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Moby Dick
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 10:52:10 PM »
Until he's dangling from your thumb in a photo, he doesn't exist.
 ::pokeineye:: ::stirpot:: ::exitstageleft::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:37:09 AM »
Until he's dangling from your thumb in a photo, he doesn't exist.
 ::pokeineye:: ::stirpot:: ::exitstageleft::

How do they say it? Pics or it didn't happen. ::hysterical::

Good luck on your hunt!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »
Tough crowd.  About what I would expect though.  I just hope I get another crack at him, gotta be at the end of his run...it would be a shame not to hook and land him (I would run to a taxidermist with this guy!) before he kicks.  Probably a true loner too, l will need lots of luck!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
Tough crowd.  About what I would expect though.  I just hope I get another crack at him, gotta be at the end of his run...it would be a shame not to hook and land him (I would run to a taxidermist with this guy!) before he kicks.  Probably a true loner too, l will need lots of luck!

When luck doesn't pan out, lemme know. I'll come over and we'll use skill to get 'im. ::beertoast::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »

When luck doesn't pan out, lemme know. I'll come over and we'll use skill to get 'im. ::beertoast::

IDP and Don are more than capable to assist. ::thumbsup::

I could show up and you'd probably catch her. I seem to be a great guide and crappy fisherman.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »

IDP and Don are more than capable to assist. ::thumbsup::

I could show up and you'd probably catch her. I seem to be a great guide and crappy fisherman.

It's not like there is "structure" in our lake otherwise the spot would be known, we have a mucky-bottomed lake (hence no consideration for stocking walleye and no perch either) so the only things are docks (not sure how Moby feels about those but we'll work 'em) and a few weed edges...if he hunkers into one of the "holes" (we only have a couple in the 17' range and one barely over 20') he'll be in with the northern to cool off now and then.  So far I have not seen a single crappie which sucks, but we can go a few years without seeing any and then we'll haul out some good ones and it drops off again.  It is all bass. northern and panfish otherwise.  We will hunt for him, but there are a lot of hardcore bass folks that hit our lake, most catch & release though.  This one if caught probably won't get released.  Will have to check the pics at the local shanty to see if he is still free.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 05:41:11 AM »
It's not like there is "structure" in our lake otherwise the spot would be known, we have a mucky-bottomed lake (hence no consideration for stocking walleye and no perch either) so the only things are docks (not sure how Moby feels about those but we'll work 'em) and a few weed edges.

Sounds like you have a project. Dropping trees or brush piles. Either real or artificial. Since you sink 'em, you'll know where they are.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 06:30:50 AM »
It's not like there is "structure" in our lake otherwise the spot would be known, we have a mucky-bottomed lake (hence no consideration for stocking walleye and no perch either) so the only things are docks (not sure how Moby feels about those but we'll work 'em) and a few weed edges.

Sounds like you have a project. Dropping trees or brush piles. Either real or artificial. Since you sink 'em, you'll know where they are.

Shhhh!  You'll spoil the surprise!    ::angel::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »
I haven't seen Moby, but I caught several of his kin...and one keeper.

I'll have to see about a pic...if I can ever figure out how to get it from the phone to the PC.   ::facepalm::

Technology and me ain't always pals....   ::bashing::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
I'm not much help. The only way I can do it is with a cable.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 11:06:05 PM »
I haven't seen Moby, but I caught several of his kin...and one keeper.

I'll have to see about a pic...if I can ever figure out how to get it from the phone to the PC.   ::facepalm::

Technology and me ain't always pals....   ::bashing::

Most phones use an SD memory card to hold pictures (and music, etc). Most laptops have an SD card reader so you can copy the stuff off of your memory card onto your computer. If you have a desktop you can purchase an add-in SD card reader.

Also, if your phone allows for email you should be able to send the picture to your computer by way of an email message. Not the most efficient method but gets the job done.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »
I found this neat little spp called MoboRobo that easily gets the photos from my phone to my desktop

I have an Android.
Don't know if it's available for iphones

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 07:05:09 AM »
Son of a  ::cussing::  ::cussing::   ::cussing:: !

See, this is why technology and I have this tolerate/hate thing!

Can't be a simple process, oh no, never!

My new phone (Nexus 6) apparently doesn't have a micro SD card...it doesn't even have a slot...I guess they figured with over 22G available who but a music-pirating teenager would have need of it?

And I don't have a cord with me at work...this thing has been great so far on battery use, I can go a couple days sometimes before needing to charge.

So I did the e-mail thing.  Gmail to MSmail, download it to the PC and then upload it to my Photobucket account.  I go into Photobucket and it didn't come through, just a default screen shot of some sort.  Great, lovin' this.  So I go back to my PC drive and see the file is a PNG which normally hasn't been an issue for Photobucket but OK it hates it, I can relate.  So I bring it up in Windows Photo Viewer and re-save it as a new filename and as a JPEG this time.  Bring it in to Photobucket and FINALLY...

Probably just an adolescent for ya Southern folk, but for these parts anything over 3 pounds is good, over 4 is swell and anything over 5 is Hot Damn!

PS-I like catchin' 'em more than rastlin' technology, that's for damn sure!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
Nice fish, Libertas.

Try MoboRobo.
As a techno-dunce, I find it very easy.

Install the app on your desktop and phone, scan the QR code when you want to export, Go to images, select the pics you want and hit export.

Voila!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
I'd say the effort was worth it Libertas - that's a fine fish.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
Looks nice and plump! Did you measure him?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
Not officially IDP, but I estimated in the 16-17" range...could be within an inch of that.  He looked big in the water and my father got the net on him right at the nick of time as I only had a smidgen of hook left in his upper jaw.  I guess I wore him out enough bringing him in he hadn't one more kick left in him...even though my father was a little slow on the net and he had a good look at it and still didn't spook.  I couldn't get my scale working because I didn't have a screwdriver small enough to open the battery compartment, but he wasn't over 4 lbs, best guess is just under that.  I don't mind eating bass and it was a male so I carved him up and got two really nice filets.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »
You cold blooded killer.....lol    At least it isn't a lion.

I would work the grass edges with topwater. Buzzbaits and poppers. Also weighless flukes. if the water is clear, use natural colors.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
That's a good 'un!! ::thumbsup::

Thomas Jefferson