Author Topic: Critters  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Critters
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
At some point (probably not until the folks are gone and we can further develop the lake along our thoughts) we'll have to look at critters.

Came across this post about acquiring a coop and some chickens and it reminded me we'll have to get something planned so something is in place and chicken-ready.  I think we also were looking at rabbits, which my BIL raised growing up.  Then maybe a goat or two.  With that we could trade with the neighbor with the cattle now and then for some cuts.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Critters
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »
Bird flu is forcing the destruction of MILLIONS of birds. You can go the conspiracy route and suggest this is planned, or not, but you know that chickens and eggs are going to be more expensive this year than in the past, and that new birds will be harder to get and more expensive.

Kinda hoping I can keep mine alive this year.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:24:32 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
Rabbits.
One of the most efficient sources of protein out there.

This is from an email I got, just today:

One of the best ways I've put my Fodder to use is to convert it into healthy, lean meat with rabbits.  My rabbits grow amazingly well with just Fodder and free choice grass hay.  In summer, I toss in mulberry and chicory clippings for some variety and to help them keep their teeth in good shape.  If you're curious about just how productive rabbits can be, read this:

Rabbits really excel in the feed conversion area, which is the amount of feed it takes to make one pound of animal.  This gives us a good comparison to determine efficiency.  For instance, the feed conversion for a rabbit is about two pounds of feed for every one pound of animal while the feed conversion of cattle is 6 pounds of feed for one pound of animal.  This means rabbits simply eat less to make more….
Rabbits are also relatively inexpensive to get started with.  A proven, pedigreed meat rabbit doe can cost as much as $60, but your run of the mill breeding stock is going to run you about $20.  That 10 pound doe can produce over 100 pounds of meat in a year.  A proven beef cow is going to cost at least $1800 and you won’t see any steak from her for almost two years.  If you compare pound for pound production, a 1000 pounds of rabbit can produce 10,000 pounds of live animal weight a year, while that cow will produce at most 1800 pounds of animal….and she ate three times as much feed to produce it.

You can easily provide a large portion of your family's meat with our 6 tray Fodder kit (feeds up to 40 rabbits).  For added convenience, take a look at the RoundTop rabbit cage I designed.  The built in hay feeder works wonders, you'll save 6 feet of wire when building them, and they are very strong.

As far as chickens, I have 27 in my basement right now.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
  And the manure goes a long way in a garden
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie