Author Topic: TEOTWAWKISTAN AR Platform Choice  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
TEOTWAWKISTAN AR Platform Choice
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:51:16 AM »
Is the .308 for everybody? HELL NO! In a Survival group, I advocate the 5.56 for women, children, and smaller statured and/or older men, simply because carrying a .308 battle rifle is more work (more bang for the buck though) than it is to carry an equal amount of 5.56 ammo, and a comparable 5.56 caliber combat rifle (can’t be an effective combatant if you can’t effectively carry your weapon).

https://masondixontactical.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/my-choice-for-a-rifle-system-and-caliber/

Fair enough.  And price, and availability of ammo etc etc come into play too, as does the age-old wisedom of shooting what you are comfortable with and accurate with.  For the younger more serious SHTF participant I think a choice to go up in caliber makes sense for some of those, for most here and in the TEOTWAWKI prepping public there is nothing wrong with a 5.56 (AR) or a 7.62x39 (AK/SK) or a .30 (M1) platform.  Indeed if people like us need a higher-power round there is nothing wrong with any of the deer rifile calibers...or an inexpensive proven war machine like the 7.62x54 Mosin-Nagant.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: TEOTWAWKISTAN AR Platform Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
I've attempted to cover all bases by collecting as many calibers and platforms as possible!  i.e., it's my excuse to buy cool toys that I don't technically need, and in fact seldom even fire, but enjoy gazing upon in my storage area.

As a case in point, I just bought a new underfolder AK built on a Hungarian parts kit.  My excuse for this one: "Well, I don't have an underfolder in my collection, I don't have a Hungarian AK in my collection, I don't have an AK with the blonde wood furniture in my collection" and that's all it takes to make my wallet several hundred debtbucks lighter.

But, in all seriousness, I kind of liked the idea of the underfolder as a compact vehicle gun in case I suddenly found myself in a Reginald Denny situation (or Ferguson...or Baltimore...or <insert name of next incident>).  I got one of these:

Didn't mean to threadjack, so back on topic:

My thoughts on ammo choice are that it probably doesn't matter nearly as much as we like to think.  Be competent with whatever you have, and have at least 1,000 rounds for it.  In a TEOTWAWKI situation, you'll most likely end up foraging for new weapons and ammo along with other basic necessities.  I think it's very sensible to stick with calibers issued by major military powers, because there's a whole lot more of it out there.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:03:22 AM »
I went for a compromise between 5.56 and 7.62 for my AR build. 6.8SPC II... .277 cal projectiles that are reasonably easy to come by as far as reloading components go, and the capability to load anything from 95gr-130gr is pretty attractive also. the 130 grain loads I shoot are pretty stout, and 130 grains @2400fps is pretty significant out of the AR platform. As far as ammo availability is concerned, the 6.8 is the most available of the AR variants, but I roll my own so that isn't a huge factor for me. Also the convenience of being able to use the same bullets for my .270 Win bolt-gun is a big plus for me also. Magazines aren't as widely available as 5.56 mags, due to the 6.8 being a larger diameter round and requiring stainless construction to fit in the mag well, but I have a good stock of them on hand.
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
One thing I've considered (but never accomplished) is a Remington 742 or 7400 in .243. Magazine fed, light caliber semi-auto in a reliable configuration. And no legal worries since it's a hunting configuration.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
One thing I've considered (but never accomplished) is a Remington 742 or 7400 in .243. Magazine fed, light caliber semi-auto in a reliable configuration. And no legal worries since it's a hunting configuration.

Before I say this, let it be known that I love the .243 round. My first bolt gun was a .243 Ruger that I loved. Still kick myself in the rear for selling it  ::doh::

That being said...

Why go with the .243 in that configuration as opposed to the 7mm-08 or .308? You wouldn't see a weight savings of any appreciable amount between .243 and .308, and to me the .308 would outperform the .243 in most every aspect, except for lighter bullets for varmint hunting...
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »
While I've had a variety of calibers; .22 Hornet, .243, .270, .300, .308, .338 for example, I still consider the venerable .30-06 to be the most versatile as it can be loaded in wide range of bullet weights and powder charges.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
That being said...

Why go with the .243 in that configuration as opposed to the 7mm-08 or .308? You wouldn't see a weight savings of any appreciable amount between .243 and .308, and to me the .308 would outperform the .243 in most every aspect, except for lighter bullets for varmint hunting...

Simple. Cost of ammo and availability. Especially since I don't reload anymore.

While I've had a variety of calibers; .22 Hornet, .243, .270, .300, .308, .338 for example, I still consider the venerable .30-06 to be the most versatile as it can be loaded in wide range of bullet weights and powder charges.

You are so right, O Wise Cranky One. But like i said, I don't reload.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
No problem, Alan.  There are a lot of purveyors just waiting for your money to be delivered.   ::popcorn::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:45:59 PM »
Just shows how different things can be, regionally... .243 ammo is practically nonexistent locally, but .308 is everywhere...
Eric Morgan