Author Topic: Bob Schieffer the insufferable  (Read 2137 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Bob Schieffer the insufferable
« on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »
He makes me laugh one minute, furious the next.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/05/29/schieffer-we-now-dont-know-where-people-get-their-news/

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — The legendary Bob Schieffer is calling it a career Sunday as he hosts his last “Face the Nation.”

Schieffer joined CBS News in 1969 and in that span he covered the White House, State Department, Pentagon, Capitol Hill, anchored the “CBS Evening News,” and hosted “Face the Nation” the past 24 years.

Washington has changed dramatically when he began covering the nation’s capital. Schieffer told “CBS This Morning” on Friday that the “revolution in communications” has turned D.C. “upside-down.”

“We now don’t know where people get their news, but what we do know is they’re bombarded with information 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Most of the information is wrong and some of it is wrong on purpose,” Schieffer said. “It is our job,I think, in mainstream journalism to try to cut through this mall of information and tell people what we think is relevant in what they need to know. That is the job of the journalist and I have to say it’s harder and harder.” (How about if you just state the facts without your spin?)

Schieffer also touched on the influx of money changing the way the government and campaigns are run.

“I mean our campaigns have become, ‘I have more billionaires than you do so I’m a viable candidate.’ I don’t think that’s what the founders had in mind when they started this country,” he told “CBS This Morning.” “I don’t know where this goes, but I think something is going to have to change on that front because what we have now is people have to sign up with so many special interests before they get to Washington, that once they’re here they can’t compromise. And when you have a government and a legislative body that can’t compromise, you have what we have — a legislative body that’s in constant and total gridlock.”(So the pubbies tripping over themselves to cross the aisle isn't enough for you?

Schieffer echoed similar comments during an interview with The Associated Press earlier this week, saying he’s disturbed by the changes he’s seen in Washington. It’s a meaner place, he said, partially fueled by Internet anonymity but also by a lack of collegiality. Lawmakers of all stripes and their families used to know each other better but now spend more time in their districts and less time in the capital. Some families never move.I see. You don't want politicians spending too much time with their constituents. They tend to realize what an azzhat you are.

It has led to an inability to get things done that Schieffer says is a greater danger to the country’s future than terrorism.

“It has changed the people who run for office now,” he said. “I don’t mean they’re bad people, but they’re different. They have to raise so much money, they have to sign off with so many interest groups to get here that once they’re here they can’t compromise their positions. Their positions are set in stone.”

Seeing the nation’s leaders up close leads him to conclude, “Some of ’em I like better than others, some of ’em I respect and some of ’em I don’t. I still think most of the people in government are good people, but there are some exceptions.”(Still have problems with the ones who prefer their constituents, eh?)

So there you have it. The entire problem of the lame stream media rolled up into one little package.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Bob Schieffer the insufferable
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »
How about if you just state the facts without your spin?

That's the absolute crux of it.

On an ongoing thread (on another site) they list examples of bad politicians. What it has revealed is that the truth is, there are bad actors of both parties in roughly equal numbers. They cite people who run the range of petty crooks to clintonesque criminals (you see what I did there?).

Our internal biases fill in the blanks and give "our team" the edge in the "good guy" favor. The interesting aspect of this thread is that the leftie posters cite Republicans and the righties cite.....Republicans and Democrats. That's because the right side doesn't tolerate criminal behavior like the left does.

What Urnolists like Schieffer do is to distort the truth with lies by omission. They herald the sins of one side and are silent to the sins of their cronies and "champions". What we've seen over and over is that that's OK to the left because partisanship is more important to them than the truth.

We are disgusted or disappointed or whatever when we learn of things like Hastert's hobby but we're big people and can take the hit and keep going. The Schieffer's of this world don't think that we can, and with regard for the left they are correct - they can't take the truth. We demand the truth and turn away from those (Like Schieffer) who are incapable of delivering it.

The downside is that we often cut ourselves off from insight by broadbrush condemnation and boycott. I saw an admission by a poster who considers himself a conservative that was both revealing and troubling at the same time. He was talking about how he got his news and he said (exact quote):

Prolly in 1981 when CNN took off and was campy and southern and not terribly progressive at all

Even msnbc was better in beginning when john Gibson was on

I quit TV news around 87 with Iran contra till FOX in 97 I think

I quit newspapers and weeklies in early 80s

So the answer to  where he gets his news is the internet (exclusively). Now I get a lot of my news via the internet but I still read newspapers, magazines, and am exposed to some TV news. I'm not afraid of anyone brainwashing me because my inner cynic is turned up and my discernment mode is full on.

I do notice that when I watch I'm ready to debate the talking head ("Oh bullcrap - you know that isn't true!").

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »
Our internal biases fill in the blanks and give "our team" the edge in the "good guy" favor.

I like to think we're past that. We're still looking for good guys. So few there are....

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »
A few thoughts about dinosaurs like Bob Schieffer and his ilk.

""Washington has changed dramatically when he began covering the nation’s capital. Schieffer told “CBS This Morning” on Friday that the “revolution in communications” has turned D.C. “upside-down.”"""

Thank goodness for that revolution. We can side step biased "reporters" like himself.  We needed far more then just CBS, NBC and ABC for our "news".  Those networks have been out of touch for decades,  and until the internet showed up,  they could get away with a lot of nonsense.  Frankly the day the networks get out of "news" it will be a good thing.

""Schieffer also touched on the influx of money changing the way the government and campaigns are run.""

Actually,  Bob,  that hasn't changed.   There always has been this kind of big money corruption since the beginning.   Its just your generation did little to nothing to expose it,  so it grew.   It's the new news outlets that have finally begun to expose it a little.

""“I mean our campaigns have become, ‘I have more billionaires than you do so I’m a viable candidate.’ ""

So a rich businessman has less right to office then the career politician?   That isn't much of an argument.   Frankly we need more non politicians and lawyers in public office.  We need more people who can cut through the crap and to be honest, rich guys are the ones good at that.   They are less likely to be dependent on donors too.

""" And when you have a government and a legislative body that can’t compromise, you have what we have — a legislative body that’s in constant and total gridlock.”

And that is a bad thing? 

The less a government does,  the more relief taxpayers get.  I say bring on the gridlock! 

""Schieffer echoed similar comments during an interview with The Associated Press earlier this week, saying he’s disturbed by the changes he’s seen in Washington. It’s a meaner place, he said, partially fueled by Internet anonymity but also by a lack of collegiality. Lawmakers of all stripes and their families used to know each other better but now spend more time in their districts and less time in the capital. Some families never move.""

Politicians spend too much time in DC,  and frankly they should NEVER move their families there.   They should always want to be going home to their districts,  and sessions need to be limited so they leave more.    DC only rots their brains,  and the time there should be as short as possible.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
I don't think I can drink enough beer and live in order to water all the graves that need proper watering...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
I don't think I can drink enough beer and live in order to water all the graves that need proper watering...

I'm getting a good headstart tonight. ::whoohoo::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »
Funny how when they complain about things being "meaner" or "less collegial" that always, always, always means "the Republicans need to give up their issues and go along with Democrats."
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:57:48 AM »
Funny how when they complain about things being "meaner" or "less collegial" that always, always, always means "the Republicans need to give up their issues and go along with Democrats."

"Moooommmmm the Republicans aren't compromising with us again!!"
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:30:25 AM »
Which is why the GOP must be abandoned.  The Ruling Class/E-GOP/RINO/AINO cabal will never accept us or anybody we support, ever.  Period, end of story.  The only options left remaining are: 1) continue to be their bitch or 2) leave them to die.

I choose the latter.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.