Author Topic: OK State Rep. Kern Apologizes For Saying Minorities, Women Don't Want To Work  (Read 818 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:43 PM CDT Updated: Apr 28, 2011 12:43 PM CDT

Jon Jordan, News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma Representative Sally Kern (R-Oklahoma City) is backpedaling after sparking outrage with comments she made about minorities and women in the workplace.

The state House debated Wednesday over a proposed constitutional amendment to eliminate affirmative action from state government. During the debate, Rep. Kern said minorities earn less money than white people because they are not willing to work as hard.

"Is this just because they are black that they are in prison, or could it be because they didn't want to work hard in school," said Rep. Kern. "And white people often times don't want to work hard in school, or Asians don't want to work hard in school, but a lot of times that is what happens. I taught school for 20 years and I saw a lot of people of color that didn't want to work as hard. They wanted it given to them."

"Matter of fact, I had one student who said to me I don't need to study. You want to know why? The government's going to take care of me. That's kind of revealing there."

Kern also took aim at women, saying they earn less than men because "women tend to think more about their family, wanting to stay at home more, wanting to be with their family, have more leisure time."
http://www.newson6.com/story/14533806/state-rep-kern-apologizes-for-saying-minorities-women-dont-want-to-work

This not the way to win over anyone.  Get rid of affirmative action because it harms more than it helps and today everyone has the opportunity to succeed.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

It may not be the way to win over anyone but she was telling the truth.

I don't think you can win anyone to want to work. Wanting to work and knowing the value of work is a learned cultural thing and while being untought this bad cultural mindset the student will be made uncomfortable.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
 Dale Carnegie course may be needed here.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Sometimes the truth hurts but it still needs to be said.  ::rockethrow::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Studying hard is being considered "too white", in many parts of this country.  Punishing Sally Kern for stating the truth isn't going to change things.

Maybe the leftist garbage whould concentrate on changing the culture that creates this situation.