Topics > Hobbies & Crafts

Sharp Pencils

(1/5) > >>

Weisshaupt:
I got so friggin tired of not being able to find a sharp pencil in this house or in the garage..  and the only working sharpeners here were the little el-cheapo blade kind- and they kept breaking the lead on the el-cheapo pencils Michelle bought. So I decided - I need one of those old metal classroom sharpeners like I had in school. They worked. They were reliable. They were simple.   Yeah, they don't make em like they used to  - but after a bit of searching I found these..

http://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com/

Teachers are raving about them- they have metal bodies and the claim is that hold up to elementary student abuse. I ordered a three pack ( I wanted one for the house and one for the garage, so basically its order 2 get one free)  They came today and they are pretty damn awesome. My kids are sharpening pencils just for fun.. The auto feed ( I was skeptical)  works very, very well. I have to mount them to the wall so they don't walk - but the mounts offered on the site are too expensive for what they are IMO. SO I will probably just take the cute little feet off and use those holes to screw it to something solid

If you got a need for one this is the one to get..

A video if you can get it to play without going to YouTube sucks because they won't just let you embedded videos anymore.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjoe4Z3GzI

IronDioPriest:
I have a regular old pencil sharpener just like we had in school when I was a kid. I've had it since I was a kid. Still works the same. Probably will outlive me by a longshot.

Libertas:
OK, somebody has to ask...

Who uses pencils anymore?

Beyond those rectangular ones at the local hardware store you only need when measuring wood to cut...   ::whatgives::

It's one of those implements that is a dying breed, and I bet for most people if they have any they are of the mechanical variety.

But, when you consider a post-SHTF world, once pens/supplies run out and there is no new production these old implements will come back into style...so stashing a bunch of them and having a reliable sharpener at hand probably is not a bad idea...

Weisshaupt:

--- Quote from: Libertas on June 11, 2015, 07:02:12 AM ---

Beyond those rectangular ones at the local hardware store you only need when measuring wood to cut...   
--- End quote ---

Actually wood marking  was the driver and  the greatest part of my annoyance..I am not a fan of the rectangular kind you whittle to sharpen...   When I am wood working I usually need a good point because I am trying to be accurate in cuts to 1/16 or better.  The rectangular are awesome if you are framing and cutting 2x4s, but in my experience they need constant attention  when doing finer work ( trim, joints and so on..)  - Mechanicals don't last long in the shop,  the rectangular you have to work to keep sharp.  A #2 Dixon Ticonderoga (with playful green eraser holder - and the only pencil you will see in movies..)  will last a good long time..  And this sharpener  won't let you over sharpen.. It quits, so you stick it in, and in 10 seconds you have a sharp pencils that was shaved only enough to obtain a new perfect point.. (the artist types who pay $8-15 for particular fancy art pencils did comparisons and were pleased to find that this sharpener wasn't destroying their prize possessions faster than necessary)

It is also still the primary implement used for doing work in schools and I still have two school aged children who were actually quite excited and smiles about the new sharpeners..My daughter even said  "I could sell really sharp pencils for $1 a pop..."

Libertas:

--- Quote from: Weisshaupt on June 11, 2015, 08:05:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: Libertas on June 11, 2015, 07:02:12 AM ---

Beyond those rectangular ones at the local hardware store you only need when measuring wood to cut...   
--- End quote ---

Actually wood marking  was the driver and  the greatest part of my annoyance..I am not a fan of the rectangular kind you whittle to sharpen...   When I am wood working I usually need a good point because I am trying to be accurate in cuts to 1/16 or better.  The rectangular are awesome if you are framing and cutting 2x4s, but in my experience they need constant attention  when doing finer work ( trim, joints and so on..)  - Mechanicals don't last long in the shop,  the rectangular you have to work to keep sharp.  A #2 Dixon Ticonderoga (with playful green eraser holder - and the only pencil you will see in movies..)  will last a good long time..  And this sharpener  won't let you over sharpen.. It quits, so you stick it in, and in 10 seconds you have a sharp pencils that was shaved only enough to obtain a new perfect point.. (the artist types who pay $8-15 for particular fancy art pencils did comparisons and were pleased to find that this sharpener wasn't destroying their prize possessions faster than necessary)

It is also still the primary implement used for doing work in schools and I still have two school aged children who were actually quite excited and smiles about the new sharpeners..My daughter even said  "I could sell really sharp pencils for $1 a pop..."

--- End quote ---

Heh, bless her heart!  I love hearing stuff like that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version