Author Topic: Virgil Runnels, AKA "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes  (Read 1347 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Virgil Runnels, AKA "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »
I used to love pro wrestling when I was a kid. When cable TV came to my town, and I was able to get the "SuperStation" WTBS from Atlanta, I completely abandoned the AWA (Vern Gagne, The Crusher, Baron Von Raschke, etc) and watched Georgia Championship Wrestling.

Dusty Rhodes was a staple star of that franchise alongside Ric Flair, Stan & Ole Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, Tony Atlas, Mr. Wrestling #1 and #2, etc. Eventually he moved over Vince McMahon's fledgling WWWF, which eventually became the WWF and then the WWE.

Anyway, he died. Wrestlers from his generation had a pretty tough life.

Virgil Runnels AKA Dusty Rhodes, 69
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Virgil Runnels, AKA "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
And Vince McMahon was the one to kill it off to promote the WWF.

You definitely dated yourself IDP!   ;D  It's OK, I do it all the time too!

Not that big into wrestling but I knew many of the big names and would catch some action here and there while with friends...

Respects to friends and family.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:15:44 PM »
Dad got a satellite dish in the 80's, and I got the Madison Square Garden channel, which had headline WWF events (as opposed to the cheesy TV program that basically is there to promote the MSG events.  Heaven.

But I was weaned on the AWA, as their territory extended down into Iowa, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov-41kBu9w

Not all are gone.  One of my favorites, and still a character.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »
We used to get the Madison Square Garden WWWF events when the cable station it was broadcast on didn't have a full roster of programming. The channel was just dark most of the time, or once in a while it would show bizarre "new wave" music videos. Once every few weeks, it would light up with a WWWF event from Madison Square Garden. We'd learn about the broadcast day and time by reading the wrestling magazines we stole from Walgreens.

Yes, I said it. My buddies and I went through a brief period when we stole wrestling magazines from Walgreens.
 ::unknowncomic::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
Migawd, I'm a-hangin' 'round wid a buncha former reprobates.  And here I thawt y'all were choirboyz.  I wuz wobbed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
Heh, in my yout' the only wrestling came across the lake from Port Arthur / Ft William (now known as Thunder Bay) with Lord (Athol) Layton.  Entertaining it was!!!   ::cool::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
I have seen Bruno Sammartino wrestle in high school gyms in the 50s

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »
Migawd, I'm a-hangin' 'round wid a buncha former reprobates.  And here I thawt y'all were choirboyz.  I wuz wobbed.
::unknowncomic::

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »

I cheered as Rowdy Roddy Piper smacked Jimmy Snucka over the head with a coconut. 

::stirpot::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbZseTuQ1I