Author Topic: Who Killed Firefly?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Who Killed Firefly?
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
Gail Berman did.  She then left Fox  network in 2005 to become President of Paramount pictures.  Yep, punish her for her bad judgement right? And now she is starting - wait for it-- the Jackal group

And now she says :

If you could reboot any show on your résumé, which would you choose?

Buffy. It was so much a part of my success story, and the idea of female empowerment and what that meant at the time for me and the TV world was so amazing. Let me put it to you this way: If and when Joss [Whedon] was ever really ready to talk about [a revival of any kind], I'd be wherever he wanted to be.

Yeah. That one.

She was executive producer on Buffy and Angel, so she should have know what to do with a Joss Whedon production.  The fact that she didn't do that when she competently handled his other shows, suggests deliberate malice. 

and just so you fully understand

There also has been a movement to lay the groundwork for a Clinton campaign well before it began. Producer Howard Gordon hosted an even last fall for the SuperPAC Ready for Hillary, with Burt Bacharach singing “Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head” and playing other standards on a clear Southern California day. Ryan Murphy also was among the hosts, and such figures as Dana Walden and Gail Berman attended.

You can almost bet she deliberately  killed this show because she disliked the anti-government individual freedom centered bent of it, and couldn't stand the thought of those ideas going mainstream like Buffy did. 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:42:19 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Who Killed Firefly?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
Right.  And because the girl was only second in command.

Fat pig.  And sorrynotsorry about that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
He/She/It on your list now Pan?

Bonus: "As we mark the 40th anniversary of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Fox is prepping a remake of the cult classic. The two-hour taped event special, which is in development with a cast-contingent order, is executive produced by Gail Berman of The Jackal Group; "

Yep, that bit of trash is being remade with her help. Now with extra transvestite. Wait, is she starring?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:51:25 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
and so on

It would be the most familiar element of an unfamiliar concept, akin to Joss's numerous movie ideas that all tended to revolve around adolescent female superheroes. Joss designed Firefly to be different, "about Joe Schmo, everyday life," he said. "And then of course I introduce River, the young female superhero. Let's face it, I'm just addicted."

But he was glad that, for once, his female superhero would be merely one character among many. "It was nice to have a show that was about different perspectives and to really get to explore all of them. I was excited that I was going to have a happily married couple that was not boring. Because that's just so rare in fiction and it's such an important thing in life.

Let me guess. Gail had a problem with that.

[Joss]was even willing to walk away from the show rather than alter one of those relationships, the marriage between Zoe and Wash. "Wash is an absolute contrast to Zoe, yet a perfect mate for her," he explained. "Rather than playing out every little romance in its infancy the way shows usually do, I thought it would be nice to show a happily married couple, who would have their fights and their troubles, but would stay married." But when Fox executives were deciding whether to pick up the series, they saw a stable marriage as dramatically limiting, and they pushed him to break up the couple. "The last thing that Fox said was, 'We will pick up the show, but they can't be married.' And I said, 'Then don't pick up the show, because in my show, these people are married. And it's important to the show.'"

yep

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:35:19 PM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
Yet he did in Serenity what he explicitly refused to do in Firefly.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
Well in Serenity he has 2 hours to tell a story he expected to tell over 5-7 seasons. So yeah, it ended up being "about River"

Here is what Gail thought would be good promos to bring people in to watch to show..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5mI0BsRAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1iWbgQUpRo

and this has been added as the kickoff sequence to my yearly Firefly screenings. If you are a fan of the show its a must watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8WLlDi68iY

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
I wasn't referring to River, although that's a good point.  I was referring to the killing of Wash, effectively "breaking up" a stable (NORMAL!) marriage.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
I wasn't referring to River, although that's a good point.  I was referring to the killing of Wash, effectively "breaking up" a stable (NORMAL!) marriage.

Yeah, that too I guess. It may have been part of the original storyline however. In heart of gold they were thinking about having kids, and how their lives were not conducive to children.  I wonder if Zoe would have gotten pregnant, and/or if Wash would have died during the full run..  I think Book would have died for sure.. trying to redeem himself for his past..

update: I was wrong

"In an interview for the literacy group 826NYC Joss Whedon revealed that if Firefly had not been canceled Wash would still be alive.[6] During the 10th anniversary reunion panel at San Diego Comic-Con in 2012, Whedon stated this again. Alan Tudyk, sitting near Whedon, was ecstatic after hearing this.[7]"

I guess you can blame Joss for breaking up the marriage in the movie, but I would rather blame Gail for cancelling the series in the first place.

http://www.whedon.info/Joss-Whedon-Fanboy-Radio-Radio.html

“The fact of the matter is that it’s a great point of contention with many people. Without it, the movie would have been two hours of blather. I made a whole big thing about heroes getting people killed and the dangerousness of Mal actually becoming somebody who believes in something and how much laying they were laying on the line. And, I didn’t want to kill anybody. In my first draft, I didn’t kill anybody, it was 200 pages long and it was cute, but it was the second season, it wasn’t an actual film. It came along and I realized, you do this one thing, that nobody’s sees coming, the rest of the movie has enormous resonance and then you can just cheat the rest of the time. ‘Oh look, Simon’s dead ! Oh, not really. Oh look, River’s dead ! No, not really. Oh look, clearly Mal’s... not so much.’ And it works because you know, I might, cause I just did. You take anyway someone you love, and then every card is on the table. It’s not pretty, but it’s the way to make something creative. I hate movies that lie. I hate movies, like Jurassic Park where just the bad people die, because I don’t believe a just and all-knowing dinosaur. I believe it should be more random than that. The only way to really sell the sacrifices they are making is to make one.”

also see Trying to Save Wash with Math

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:20:52 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »
I see the resemblance..

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »
Despite all of your credits, why does your Wikipedia page devote the most ink to your decision to cancel Firefly?

There was a time when my kids would try very hard to change my Wikipedia page, so once a week they'd put things on there to try to remove this besmirchment of Firefly, but no matter what, it comes back. I get no credit for having put it on the air, mind you! (Laughs.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gail-berman-dig-buzz-why-772170

Yeah, ha ha.

Yeah, throw your own kids under the bus, ha ha.

Trash.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 12:34:28 AM »
Despite all of your credits, why does your Wikipedia page devote the most ink to your decision to cancel Firefly?

There was a time when my kids would try very hard to change my Wikipedia page, so once a week they'd put things on there to try to remove this besmirchment of Firefly, but no matter what, it comes back. I get no credit for having put it on the air, mind you! (Laughs.)

Laughs an evil laugh of liberal glee. 

Translation : " I couldn't just turn down a Joss Whedon production cold --- he would have shopped the show elsewhere and it would be a smash hit -  spreading ideas I disagree with and hurting my career for being the one to turn it down.

No,  it was much, much easier to just accept his new show, let him pour his heart and soul into it and then use my programming power to broadcast  it out of order and during the world series so it would have poor rating and justify killing it in its crib.

No Gail, we give you full credit for that.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:52:38 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »
She reminds me of the frog-creature in Return of the Jedi...the thing that gulped down some helpless creature outside Jabba's Palace and belched...

Except for the fact that that creature probably had much better character than this squat fugly Ho Fo Hitlery.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.