Author Topic: This brings back a lot of good memories...The Last Rebels  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
This brings back a lot of good memories...The Last Rebels
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
The Last Rebels: 25 Things We Did as Kids That Would Get Someone Arrested Today

Raise your hand if you survived a childhood in the 60s, 70s, and 80s that included one or more of the following, frowned-upon activities (raise both hands if you bear a scar proving your daredevil participation in these dare-devilish events):

1 - Riding in the back of an open pick-up truck with a bunch of other kids
 2 - Leaving the house after breakfast and not returning until the streetlights came on, at which point, you raced home, ASAP so you didn’t get in trouble
 3 - Eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the school cafeteria
 4 - Riding your bike without a helmet
 5 - Riding your bike with a buddy on the handlebars, and neither of you wearing helmets
 6 - Drinking water from the hose in the yard
 7 - Swimming in creeks, rivers, ponds, and lakes (or what they now call *cough* “wild swimming“)
 8 - Climbing trees (One park cut the lower branches from a tree on the playground in case some stalwart child dared to climb them)
 9 - Having snowball fights (and accidentally hitting someone you shouldn’t)
10 - Sledding without enough protective equipment to play a game in the NFL
11 - Carrying a pocket knife to school (or having a fishing tackle box with sharp things on school property)
12 - Camping
13 - Throwing rocks at snakes in the river
14 - Playing politically incorrect games like Cowboys and Indians
15 - Playing Cops and Robbers with *gasp* toy guns
16 - Pretending to shoot each other with sticks we imagined were guns
17 - Shooting an actual gun or a bow (with *gasp* sharp arrows) at a can on a log, accompanied by our parents who gave us pointers to improve our aim. Heck, there was even a marksmanship club at my high school
18 - Saying the words “gun” or “bang” or “pow pow” (there actually a freakin’ CODE about “playing with invisible guns”)
19 - Working for your pocket money well before your teen years
20 - Taking that money to the store and buying as much penny candy as you could afford, then eating it in one sitting
21 - Eating pop rocks candy and drinking soda, just to prove we were exempt from that urban legend that said our stomachs would explode
22 - Getting so dirty that your mom washed you off with the hose in the yard before letting you come into the house to have a shower
23 - Writing lines for being a jerk at school, either on the board or on paper
24 - Playing “dangerous” games like dodgeball, kickball, tag, whiffle ball, and red rover (The Health Department of New York issued a warning about the “significant risk of injury” from these games)
25 - Walking to school alone

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/the-last-rebels-25-things-we-did-as-kids-that-would-get-someone-arrested-today-06162015

H/T - WRSA

OK, as-is score would be 23/25, I didn't throw rocks at snakes in the river and I don't recall eating pop rocks and soda, but change "snake" to "muskrat" and "river" to "reservoir" and I can score 24/25.

And all the other stuff they missed...which I am sure I am forgetting as much as I am remembering...

26 - Launching bicycles/sleds off ramps built on the street, or a hill or off a roof.

27 - Picking gravel out of your bloody legs (see above).

28 - Shooting Polish Cannons, shooting dirt clods with homemade slingshots (there might be a rock in there!), tossing handmade spears and such at each other (nobody lost on eye...maybe black & blue, but they still had a working eye!).

29 - Treating construction sites like gym sets at a playground (bruises, sprains, cuts...the usual from running atop frames, jumping gaps, etc).

30 - Treating a newly excavated foundation as your private swimming hole if it has been rainy lately (note: get dry sand wet before trying to egress the water!).

31 - Hanging onto another moving vehicle (often at the hosts ignorance) while riding a bike or boot-skiing behind a school bus in winter.

32 - Catching blackbirds with bread-baited hooks on fishing poles.

33 - Making/using tree houses at unsafe heights without proper safety precautions and having only hastily applied surplus wood to the tree trunk as the entrance and a rope of uncertain durability as the exit...and all the horseplay that ensures in between.

34 - Riding a 10-speed without a helmet and steering without using the handlebar or your hands at any time of day.

35 - Using aerosol cans as flamethrowers.

36 - Using M-80's and just about anything you can imagine.

37 - Using gasoline as a payload in an Estes rocket.

38 - Drawing violent cartoons in school.

39 - Having firearm safety class and a firearm in school.

40 - Destroying plastic models with gas, firecrackers on land, air and sea.

41 - Being alone on a paper route before you turned 12.

42 - Throwing knives...at each other.

43 - Participating in neighborhood boxing matches.

44 - Throwing fluorescent light tubes against a brick wall.

45 - Dunking each other in the local swimming pool/lake/whatever.

46 - Jumping out of windows and off roofs 2 stories or more high.

47 - Tunneling into snowbanks and making igloos warmed and lit by burning candles.

48 - Capturing and teasing crawfish, salamanders, frogs, anything that creeps or crawls.  Scaring other kids with 'em.

49 - Throwing stuff and older kids and running like the devil...and sometimes not making it.

50 - Fights, seriously...we fought a lot, and would make up and that would be the end of it...nobody ran home for a gun or ran somebody over with a car or some stupid crap...it was understood stuff would happen and a kid has to stand up for their self!  No CPS, no cops, no expulsions.

Come on, add some more!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:36:05 PM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: This brings back a lot of good memories...The Last Rebels
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »

Not only have I NOT done that one, it never crossed my mind. My dad wasn't a fisherman and never had fishing equipment around the house.

My only class was at home from my dad. I knew better than to screw up around him. And the firearm was usually in the truck in the parking lot. If it was taken into the school, everybody and their brother would want to borrow it.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »

Not only have I NOT done that one, it never crossed my mind. My dad wasn't a fisherman and never had fishing equipment around the house.

My only class was at home from my dad. I knew better than to screw up around him. And the firearm was usually in the truck in the parking lot. If it was taken into the school, everybody and their brother would want to borrow it.

Amen for numbers 26 thru 50!

Like you Alan I would never have even thought of #32. I was an animal whisperer as a kid. I got along fine with all sorts of critters and saved my more reckless moments for other kids.

And my dad taught us kids our firearms appreciation and safety classes too. Being ex-military (and a real hard-ass) he drilled it into us that we were simply not allowed to screw up because there would be no undoing the damage. Gunshots were permanent.

Which was sort of ironic because we kids also know about Grampa's "bullet" - a shotgun pellet. Someone shot Grampa and he shielded his face with his hand. Consequently he carried that pellet in his thumb for the rest of his days. The weird thing was the pellet didn't get entrapped in tissue as is often the case. Instead it "floated" under the skin and would orbit his thumb. It caused no end of amusement form Grampa to watch us kids inspect his bullet - and no end of grief from my dad who thought Grampa was encouraging us.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »
Which was sort of ironic because we kids also know about Grampa's "bullet" - a shotgun pellet. Someone shot Grampa and he shielded his face with his hand. Consequently he carried that pellet in his thumb for the rest of his days. The weird thing was the pellet didn't get entrapped in tissue as is often the case. Instead it "floated" under the skin and would orbit his thumb. It caused no end of amusement form Grampa to watch us kids inspect his bullet - and no end of grief from my dad who thought Grampa was encouraging us.

Wow! I just thought my grandpas were cool!

The last line made me spit Reese's cup on my monitor. ::laughonfloor::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:17:18 PM »
Target practice in the church boys club.   Yes,  in the actual church building,  with a "range" set up in the fellowship hall,  just bb guns and .22's though.   

Not long ago,  when I was on the buildings and ground committee,  those stupid no gun stickers got stuck on all of our doors (thankfully only on the glass on most doors).  They have been appearing on most public buildings in the people republic of Illinois lately.    No one on the committee had put them up,  so I asked the secretary if she had seen anyone putting them up.    She said she saw someone wearing a police uniform (not of the village the church is in, probably the county) doing it.   She assumed someone had asked they be put up.   No one had asked,  and no one had given permission either. 

So  another guy and I  had to waste part of an afternoon scraping them off.   Whomever had put them up, did on all 16 exterior doors (including the door to a mechanical room that doesn't even have a handle on the outside).   Ughh.   Friends from other churches in town reported the same happening to their building too.    No one had asked for permission,  they were just put up.   ::pullhair::

A number of people  did, do carry concealed in church (though in the past it was only the members also in LE, since Illinois hates the 2nd).

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
Target practice in the church boys club.   Yes,  in the actual church building,  with a "range" set up in the fellowship hall,  just bb guns and .22's though.   

Not long ago,  when I was on the buildings and ground committee,  those stupid no gun stickers got stuck on all of our doors (thankfully only on the glass on most doors).  They have been appearing on most public buildings in the people republic of Illinois lately.    No one on the committee had put them up,  so I asked the secretary if she had seen anyone putting them up.    She said she saw someone wearing a police uniform (not of the village the church is in, probably the county) doing it.   She assumed someone had asked they be put up.   No one had asked,  and no one had given permission either. 

So  another guy and I  had to waste part of an afternoon scraping them off.   Whomever had put them up, did on all 16 exterior doors (including the door to a mechanical room that doesn't even have a handle on the outside).   Ughh.   Friends from other churches in town reported the same happening to their building too.    No one had asked for permission,  they were just put up.   ::pullhair::

A number of people  did, do carry concealed in church (though in the past it was only the members also in LE, since Illinois hates the 2nd).

Nothing like Big Government forcing itself on you.

Thomas Jefferson