Author Topic: wireless router died  (Read 1846 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
wireless router died
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:29:10 PM »
Well my latest fatality is from NetGear that can't be two years old and it's now little more than a new target to shoot at. Had a Belkin before that and it died as well. Anyone here have the tip of the day for a router that won't quit and is useful by design for linger than 24 months? ::facepalm::

Need to make this purchase real soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.  ::kissface::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: wireless router died
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
I have a Netgear at home and its still works after 2-3 years.  I do remember not getting a cheap one, I got something below a top end model. 

Maybe this will help...
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:34:56 PM »
Do yo have an internet provider? I use an East Coast provider, Optimum. When my router started having issues...I called up my provider & accused them of metering the signal (providing less than satisfactory service @ certain times of the day): they swore they weren't, but offered first to add another channel (5G) to our home & then to send me (at no charge), their in-house router tower...which I have had for just about a year with zero connectivity issues.

Perhaps your provider has a similar policy for those patriots who call up & complain.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
Do yo have an internet provider? I use an East Coast provider, Optimum. When my router started having issues...I called up my provider & accused them of metering the signal (providing less than satisfactory service @ certain times of the day): they swore they weren't, but offered first to add another channel (5G) to our home & then to send me (at no charge), their in-house router tower...which I have had for just about a year with zero connectivity issues.

Perhaps your provider has a similar policy for those patriots who call up & complain.
The router is definitely the problem here as it just plain stopped working. Provider is concast. The cursed thing stopped routing the hardwired signals as well

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
Update: Upon further review of the manual for the current Netgear N900, we corrected the corrupted firmware and the damn Chinese made device began routing again. Good! ::thumbsup::I hate the idea of buying a new device, no doubt Chinese, anyway.

Now I can avoid Father's Day by changing the mower tire(s) to cut the weeds er grass or combination thereof. Hope yours will be better than mine. Wait, I just avoided shelling out more money for another Chinese made device thus I should be happy as a clam but wait is the SCoaMF still in the White Hut?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
Glad you got it fixed ;')

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
Congratulations, warp.

For Father's Day, I asked my kids to help me get rid of the debris from my flooded basement earlier this week and help me get and smash some stone for the driveway that washed out.

It's great

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
Congratulations, warp.

For Father's Day, I asked my kids to help me get rid of the debris from my flooded basement earlier this week and help me get and smash some stone for the driveway that washed out.

It's great
Not to be outdone(you got that already) I finally got around to changing the tire on the Ex-mark walk behind. What a pia. Now I get to soak my feet in vinegar/water solution to kill the fungus that's developed from an accident with toenail.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
There's alternative firmware available that works on a wide variety of routers.  DD-WRT and Tomato are two I know of.  You can use them to do lots of interesting things, like increasing your router's radio transmission power above FCC permitted levels :).

Might be worth looking into if you continue to have problems with the factory firmware.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
Update: Upon further review of the manual for the current Netgear N900, we corrected the corrupted firmware and the damn Chinese made device began routing again. Good! ::thumbsup::I hate the idea of buying a new device, no doubt Chinese, anyway.

Now I can avoid Father's Day by changing the mower tire(s) to cut the weeds er grass or combination thereof. Hope yours will be better than mine. Wait, I just avoided shelling out more money for another Chinese made device thus I should be happy as a clam but wait is the SCoaMF still in the White Hut?

Aye.

And every day I detest it, some days more than others, granted, but everyday...

Maybe the British (or somebody) will invade one day and...

Just another pipedream...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.