Author Topic: Atticus Finch  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Atticus Finch
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
Okay its a way to create controversy and sell books
but why one one assume that the characters in "Go Set a Watchman" are the same characters that Harper Lee portrayed in "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Go Set at Watchman was written before "To kill a Mockingbird" and not published till now for a reason -  ( mostly that Harper Lee is aging (88) and probably has no clue what is going on) 

Atticus Finch a hero of yours?  Guess what -as he becomes older  he is a racist !
There is no doubt in my mind anymore that Liberals are possessed by Demons - and their only purpose in this life is to tear down anything that is good or noble or beautiful - even if its a just fictional.

I hatez the nasty  proglydites.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Atticus Finch
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
Atticus Finch a hero of yours?

Yes. But guess what - all my heroes are dead. I saw a couple of threads at Breitbart and Newsbusters on this a week or so ago. Thought it funny to see all the missy prissypants types wetting their undergarments.

I used to think of my dad when I would contemplate Atticus. Humble as a church-mouse. Honesty so painful you'd think it a new pair of shoes. Wiser than any man I had met before - or since. Rose from leading a dogsled team to being in the inner circle at Boeing. Then knocked on his ass to become a truck driver. Then rising back up within a band or two of the golden circle once again.

The ravages of time and circumstance beat the hell out of him. He buried far too many of his children and grandchildren. What age alone couldn't accomplish Alzheimer's stepped in to lay waste. When he was in his 80's he was still the man I adored but only a shadow of his former self.

Then I regard Atticus and see myself. I was for most of my life, a "live and let live" semi-libertarian. As long as you didn't mess with me & mine I mostly didn't GAS. Now I look at 7 years of constant warfare against everything I believe in. I see the battles waged and the battles lost. I see the bottom-feeders feeding at my table and, like Superman's "Bizarro World" everything decent shunned and every tawdry, obscenity set on high. Live & let live has given way to "Get the F away from me if you want to live!"

The spear-chucker gazes at me at an intersection and is taken aback because he looks me in the eye and sees that I'm calculating the closing distance and now many rounds it would take to finish him off (Double-tap - it's like a courtesy flush).

So why can't Atticus grow crustier with age?

All I know is sooner or later I will read the book and find out for myself if it's credible.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »

So why can't Atticus grow crustier with age?

All I know is sooner or later I will read the book and find out for myself if it's credible.

I did the same assessment and understand the same thing-  that Maybe the evil of the 60s turned Atticus cold.  Its plausible,  and yep the same has happened to me as, apparently to you.  But its also entirely possible that the characters were never intended to be the same man-- for all we know they changed the names so the book would sell more copies. Atticus is an idea. He is out there, and there is no  one and nothing that can take an idea from you. Not even the truth.  Look at the left if you need a demonstration.

Plausibility aside, this just seems like yet another attack on traditional American ethics and culture to me. You can't have kids reading about a honest, compassionate, non-racist, gun shooting , white male, single father in a good light. It goes against the narrative.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
I highly doubt the book is worth reading &/or the time devoted to same. I like Viktor Frankl's philosophy about past memories stored irrevocably in our minds. I have my memory of Atticus & the enjoyment of rewatching the movie once a year or so. Idiot attempts @ reframing will not effect those memories.

“In the past, nothing is irretrievably lost, but rather, on the contrary, everything is irrevocably stored and treasured. To be sure, people tend to see only the stubble fields of transitoriness but overlook and forget the full granaries of the past into which they have brought the harvest of their lives: the deeds done, the loves loved, and last but not least, the sufferings they have gone through with courage and dignity.”
Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:55:28 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.