Author Topic: Feds Allow Illegal Aliens to Cross Border 14 Times Before Charging Them With Fel  (Read 3537 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Sheriff Larry Dever of Cochise County, Ariz., told a House subcommittee today that in one U.S. attorney's district in Texas illegal aliens are allowed to be caught crossing the border 7 times before they are charged with a misdeamanor and 14 times before they are charged with a felony.

Dever further said the policies call for considering federal human smuggling charges only if at least 6 illegal aliens are being transported.

“There are policies in place that establish thresholds for quantities of drugs and numbers of illegal aliens before consideration for prosecution can be entertained,” Dever said in his written testimony before the Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security. “In at least one Federal District in Texas, if you are caught smuggling less than 750 kilos (1,653 pounds) of marijuana, you will not be subjected to prosecution.”

“If you are caught smuggling fewer than 6 illegal aliens, you will not be subject to prosecution,” Dever said. “And if you are a lone illegal border crosser, you get at least seven chances before you are even charged with a misdemeanor.”

“And after that, you get seven more chances before you are eligible for prosecution of a second offense felony,” Dever said.

The sheriff also said that even with added resources on the border, effective control can be hampered by “ideology.”

“Advances in technology, increases in the number of personnel, and equipment enhancements are limited in their effectiveness by strategic and tactical application -- all of which is driven by ideology and policy,” Dever said.

“While law enforcement on our side of the border are constrained in many ways, the bad guys know no such boundaries and learn very quickly from our foibles,” he said.

The "federal district" in Texas referenced by Dever is one of four in that state, each of which holds a U.S. attorney's office: one for each district -- Texas Southern District, headed by U.S. Attorney Jose Angel Moreno; Texas Western, headed by John E. Murphy; Texas North, James T. Jacks; and Texas Eastern, John Malcolm Bales.

Nationwide, there are 94 U.S. attorney's offices. Five of those federal districts are on the border with Mexico.

Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) asked another witness at the hearing, Ronald Vitiello, deputy chief, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security, what the “official policy is of the United States of America” is when it comes to drug thresholds in Texas.

“My understanding is now in the southern district of Texas, if you catch somebody with 220 pounds or less, let’s say marijuana, if the local folks don’t take those cases, then that person is going to be released, is that correct?” Cuellar said.

“I’m not specifically aware of Laredo’s threshold scenario with the U.S. attorney’s office, but I can assure you what we do there and what we expect inspectors to do across the nation is to refer these cases,” Vitiello said, adding that the cases are referred to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Cuellar pressed Vitiello again to answer his question.

“My question is, what is the policy of the United States of America when it comes to somebody being caught with drugs at a checkpoint,” Cuellar said.

Vitiello still did not directly answer the question but told Cuellar, “What we do is call the DEA.”

Link

Three guesses on which US Attorney's district is not upholding the law; first two don't count.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Texas Western, headed by John E. Murphy

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
“My understanding is now in the southern district of Texas, if you catch somebody with 220 pounds or less, let’s say marijuana, if the local folks don’t take those cases, then that person is going to be released, is that correct?” Cuellar said.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes

And if I turn right on red at a red light camera I get to pay several hundred dollars--no 7 chances for me!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Nope.  You get to pay; they get to play.

The border situation is FUBAR, so it's SNAFU.

charlesoakwood

::falldownshocked::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

::falldownshocked::

Yah, how politically incorrect of me to notice the problem is the "hispanic" on the Mexican border.

charlesoakwood

I'm having trouble with an Arizona sheriff being an authority on Texas policy and procedures.
It seems if Texas was easy on cross border prosecution it would be a relief valve for Arizona.
There should be some follow up publications to this.

It just seems like Johnny Suttonism is in this sack of worms.

ETA: Been looking and the only info I can find on Moreno is of him as prosecutor.  There's bound to be follow up.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:39:32 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
I'm having trouble with an Arizona sheriff being an authority on Texas policy and procedures.
It seems if Texas was easy on cross border prosecution it would be a relief valve for Arizona.
There should be some follow up publications to this.

It just seems like Johnny Suttonism is in this sack of worms.

ETA: Been looking and the only info I can find on Moreno is of him as prosecutor.  There's bound to be follow up.

Maybe he's trying to get people to go through Texas. ::hysterical::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.