Author Topic: The Name Game #278  (Read 5298 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The Name Game #278
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
So let us traipse through the minds of southwest Louisiana. 

We’ll start with a few people who just couldn’t meet poetic or familial requirements within the normal structure of only two given names:

Windy(!) H. & Wesley V. triple up on their son, little Kadin Michael Dean.   Now ask yourself:  Exactly WHAT would ahve been wrong with Michael Dean?  But NOOOOOO!  We need to make up a name and stick that in front…

Ronalda (!) & Michael G. throw three at their daughter, little Kirah Lynn Faith.

Cindy P. & Shelby(!) M. do three at their son, little Charles Isiah Ambros.  Cute!  Pick three, Spell two of ‘em wrong!

Next we’ll do the thundering herd of “Huh?”:

Blake & Samantha C. step out with their daughter Kinsleigh Camille, knowing that “eigh” drips the sophistication that is missing in plain ol’ “ey”.

Miss Marquetta(!) G. shows her baby girl Aniyah Malae.  Seems like while she was pulling names out of thin air, she could’ve pulled one for the baby daddy.

Kevin & Janene G. like that “eigh” thing for their daughter, little Rayleigh Nicole.  Two days later, same hospital, Krystle(!) V. & Adam T. do the same thing almost, tagging their daughter with Ryleigh Grace.

Daniel & Kortney C. do another tryndeigh thing, using a random last name for a first name, hanging their new son with Harper Rhian.  “Rhian”?  Try “Ryan” unless you’re trying to impress your knuckle-dragging relatives with your level of sophistication.  And Kayla M. & Bryan C. do their son likewise, giving us Conner Allen.

Bryan & Kimberly P. kind of twist a hobby and come up with a name for their son, Bowen Drew.

Brandon & Elizabeth N. watch a cat walk across a keyboard and derive a name for their daughter, little Tayah Marie.

Ashley S. & Jontrell B. tag their son with Jaylin Latrell.  “Jailin”?  Heck of a prediction there, Mizz Ashely…

Miss Sabrina C. names her son Bryson Wyatt.  Is “Bry” an answer to the “Who’s da daddy?” question?

Miss Amber T. reaches into the bag of trydeigh and comes up with Nevaeh Lene for her daughter.  and no baby daddy.

Misty(!) P. & Bryan B.  grabs some random letters and sticks her daughter with Kortlyn Rose.

Tracey & Roy A. honor a tribe of indigenous people by naming their daughter Cheyenne Elizabeth.

Tessia(!) K. & Clifford R. show their knowledge of a neighboring state’s geography by naming their son Austin Cylar.  “Cylar”?  Isn’t that a new plastic?

Amy A. & Brett S.  present their son, Manning James.

Amber V. & Jason L., oh, I don’t know what to say… daughter’s name is Khloe Haivah.  Maybe a predecessor is being honored here…

We have a few who choose “Non-traditional” spellings.  there are multiple reasons for this.  Plain spellings are just so bourgeoisie.  Or they couldn’t find the correct spelling.  Or “I’m eighteen and I’ll name this kid whatever **I** want, Momma!”

Justin & Samantha S_G (Yeah!  A hyphenated last name in southwest Louisiana!) show more sophistication by presenting their daughter, Melynie Jayne, because all really sophisticated people know that jacking with spelling a name is a true sign of class.

T’Keyah(!) L. & Nicholas C. present  their daughter, little Abigayle Alana.

Rebecca & Christopher C. think they can outd0 Shakespeare by naming their son Markus Terrace.  Yeah, “Terrace”.  Like “back porch” without a roof.  Good luck, kid!

And finally we bring a little punctuation into the picture, either because we can’t trust our relations to figure out how to pronounce the goofy-a**ed names we chose, or because, yaknow, punctuation just looks sooooo sophisticated:

Shawanda(!) D. probably falls into the second category with her new daughter, little Ta’nyria Lynae.

Gene & Ashley A. probably go with the first category, worrying that their relations will pronounce the baby’s name to rhyme with “toe”, so she’s Zoe’ Elayne.

Roxanne M. & Jeffrey G. probably have a case of brainworms, with their daughter starting out as Roshonda Simone’, because if you name a kid “Roshonda”, I’m thinking that pronunciation is not your strong suit anyway.

Ta’shea(!) G. & Cliftondale(!) S. just stinkin’ LIKE apostrophes, so, like get over it, m’kay?!?!, and their daughter is Kennzley Man’ree.

And that’s enough for the week.  Take care!

::facepalm::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: The Name Game #278
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
My niece's middle name is K

Not Kay. Not K. Just: K

She's 17 now. Cute. But just imagine as she gets older, when she's filing out forms that require a full middle name.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
My niece's middle name is K

Not Kay. Not K. Just: K

She's 17 now. Cute. But just imagine as she gets older, when she's filing out forms that require a full middle name.

In the same way, Truman's middle name was just S

I don't know what forms legally require a full middle name, maybe some do; nothing I've ever filled out demanded it, but I don't have one.  "You'll get married", my Mother said, "and your last name will change anyway", operating on the premise that middle names are needed only to distinguish between Jane (Ann) Doe and Jane (Mary) Doe.

I'll tell you what else Mom did to me:  she named me X, supposedly after my Grandmother X, except my name is not exactly Grandmother's name -- a sort of derivative -- and then she nicknamed me a third name so no one would foreshorten my name into an other, unattractive nickname.  Got that?  The only saving grace is none of three/four names is uncommon or weird.  It's Mom that's weird.

What people name their kids today, though, is headshakingly, dumbfoundingly ignorant.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »
I've never understood parents who want to saddle their kids with a life time of having to spell their name every single time and having people mispronounce it everything time.

We spelled our kids' the normal way.  There I said it! hehehe the NORMAL way.  I get people asking all the time is that with a "K" or "C", a "Y" or IE" etc.  I always say the normal way.....

Sometimes I think all those moms have been reading the same romance novels..... ;D
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
I've never understood parents who want to saddle their kids with a life time of having to spell their name every single time and having people mispronounce it everything time.

We spelled our kids' the normal way.  There I said it! hehehe the NORMAL way.  I get people asking all the time is that with a "K" or "C", a "Y" or IE" etc.  I always say the normal way.....

Sometimes I think all those moms have been reading the same romance novels..... ;D

My sister wanted to name her first, if it was a girl, Niqui, (Nicki), after the Grandfathers, both Dominick.

I told her I'd kill her first.  Our family name is five letters and nobody can pronounce or spell it.  I can't imagine the annoyance of having to instruct for both first and last names.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
I can't imagine the annoyance of having to instruct for both first and last names.

But these kids won't be annoyed at their parents. They'll think it's everyone else who's stupid for not getting their name!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:53:46 PM »
I can't imagine the annoyance of having to instruct for both first and last names.

But these kids won't be annoyed at their parents. They'll think it's everyone else who's stupid for not getting their name!

Think so?  Maybe.  What're they going to think about themselves when they can't spell their friends' weird names?  Then it'll be the friend's fault for having a weirdly spelled name.  ::laughonfloor::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »

We spelled our kids' the normal way.  There I said it! hehehe the NORMAL way.  I get people asking all the time is that with a "K" or "C", a "Y" or IE" etc.  I always say the normal way.....

My sister wanted to name her first, if it was a girl, Niqui, (Nicki), after the Grandfathers, both Dominick.

I told her I'd kill her first.  Our family name is five letters and nobody can pronounce or spell it.  I can't imagine the annoyance of having to instruct for both first and last names.

Nicqui? I can only see Nickwee.

My middle name is a family surname going back 4 generations. Traditionally the first born son was given it as a middle name in every case. My grandfather, my father, and I all have the same middle name. In and of itself it's a fine last name, but as a middle name is sucks eggs. While I greatly desired to honor my grandfather (as he so honored the name that he eschewed his given first name "George" and took this middle name as his moniker) I couldn't bear to saddle my son with it after getting ridiculed myself as a boy. .

So what to do? I wanted to carry on the tradition, and I didn't want to dishonor my grandfather or my father. But I couldn't stomach giving my son this middle name.

My solution? My grandfather's mother had a maiden surname that rolls off the tongue MUCH more readily than the traditional middle name. I took it - and gave it to my son. Tradition was slightly altered, but upheld. My grandfather was honored - after all, if I was going to break tradition, how could he be disappointed that I chose his mother to honor? My son got a cool middle name. Everybody's happy.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »
Nicqui? I can only see Nickwee.

Or Nick-you-ee.  Or anything but Nicki.  My sister can be quite the dink.

You did right by your son and your family name without giving him a burden, IMO.  Isn't the point to not unnecessarily burden the children?

Gunsmith's middle name is an uncommon one, but not unheard of, of Norwegian ancestry, and was his father's first name.  He's pretty stoic about it.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »
How's this for confusing--

My FIL and his dad share the same name.  Grandpa goes by first name and FIL goes by middle name.  In-laws gave my husband as his first name the middle name my FIL uses SO my husband has to go by his middle name to avoid confusion.

As his wife I can tell you it's plum aggravating to have to explain every time I fill out a form or otherwise give out his name that he goes by his middle name (shorten no less-can't make it easy!).

My grandmother, mother and I share the same first name.  I hate the name and I hate the embarrassing moments as a kid when someone would call the house and someone thinking the caller meant me would hand the phone over to me,  only for me  to discover they wanted my mom.  To this day my mother still enjoys telling people how my friends would call the house and ask for "junior". She thinks it's funny. 

...but I think I'm pretty much over it though  ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
I'm beginning to get the picture that today's generation of parents are really not more screwed up than ours were as far as namings go.  (Spellings are another matter, though.)

Fancy that.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
I'm beginning to get the picture that today's generation of parents are really not more screwed up than ours were as far as namings go.  (Spellings are another matter, though.)

Fancy that.

Oh, Idunno Pan. More and more people just make up names out of the clear blue sky, particularly in the...ahem...urban community.

They'll come up with almost anything. Tamiqua. Jamarcus. Dantelle. LaBronda. Shaquinta. DeWanda. It's as if all one needs is Black skin and some arrangement of vowels and consonants, and voila, you've got an instant name and ghetto cred.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »

Fancy that.

Oh, Idunno Pan. More and more people just make up names out of the clear blue sky, particularly in the...ahem...urban community.

They'll come up with almost anything. Tamiqua. Jamarcus. Dantelle. LaBronda. Shaquinta. DeWanda. It's as if all one needs is Black skin and some arrangement of vowels and consonants, and voila, you've got an instant name and ghetto cred.

I know exactly what you're saying here, and it is the point of the thread's starter piece -- particularly with the apostrophes -- however, our parents simply did it in a different manner with traditional names.  Blacks do it with their fictional "African" ones.

Just seems more similar to me than not as I'm looking at it.  Then again, I may be having an off day.  ;D

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »
True Story:

There was this young Native American who was curious as to how all of his peers had been named. He asks his mom who names all the young Braves. She directs him to seek counsel with the Chief. He asks "O great one, please tell me how all of the Tribes' young braves are named."

The Chief looks skyward and tells him "at the moment of birth, I leave the birthing tent and gaze across the Great Plains. I name the young man whatever I first see. If I open the tent and see an Eagle soaring across the sky, I will name him 'Soaring Eagle.' If I see a pony galloping across the land, I may name him 'Spotted Horse.' If I look to the horizon and see a lone wolf, I could name him 'Brave Wolf.'

The Chief then looks at the young man and says "why are you so curious, 'Two Effing Dogs'?"
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Fun with names is not new.

Here in Houston, a prominent family around the turn of the last century, not this one, had a last name of Hogg.

They named thier first daughter Ima and their second daughter Ura. That's right, Ima Hogg and Ura Hogg. True story.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
I went to school with a kid whose first name was also the name of a cereal--he made it known he didn't like people asking him about his name.  I always thought he should've used a nickname if he was that sensitive.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
I went to school with a kid whose first name was also the name of a cereal--he made it known he didn't like people asking him about his name.  I always thought he should've used a nickname if he was that sensitive.

Quisp? Capn' Crunch? Count Chocula? Farina? Do tell!!!

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
True Story:

There was this young Native American who was curious as to how all of his peers had been named. He asks his mom who names all the young Braves. She directs him to seek counsel with the Chief. He asks "O great one, please tell me how all of the Tribes' young braves are named."

The Chief looks skyward and tells him "at the moment of birth, I leave the birthing tent and gaze across the Great Plains. I name the young man whatever I first see. If I open the tent and see an Eagle soaring across the sky, I will name him 'Soaring Eagle.' If I see a pony galloping across the land, I may name him 'Spotted Horse.' If I look to the horizon and see a lone wolf, I could name him 'Brave Wolf.'

The Chief then looks at the young man and says "why are you so curious, 'Two Effing Dogs'?"

the name was "Two Dogs Effing" Not to effing dogs.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »

Oh Please!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »

Those would have been funnier.

CoCo as in CoCo(a) Puffs or Coco pops.  And not a nickname like the Oakland A's player.  His real name.

Have to admit if I'd known him as a kid I'd probably would've called him Cereal.  ::unknowncomic::