Author Topic: "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, 61  (Read 1641 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, 61
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:11:13 AM »
Even after I stopped watching pro wrestling as a teenager, I'd still occasionally catch a promo show here and there. I saw enough to appreciate the talents of Roddy Piper. He had a natural charisma and a knack for trash-talking that rivaled the best.

He starred in one of my favorite 80s cult classic movies, "They Live", about a regular Joe discovering via a special pair of sunglasses that the world is being subliminally controlled by aliens.

Died in his sleep of a heart attack. Rest in peace.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, 61
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
Roddy Piper and the movie "They Live" are synonymous. They Live and Welcome To Frogtown were b-grade flicks but cult classics. The thing that always impressed me about Roddy was that he seemed to be doing exactly what he wanted. It didn't matter that he achieve the status of Hulk, or that the movies he was involved with weren't exactly award winners. He was having fun and living life on his terms.

RIP Roddy

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Truth be told, I don't know the name.  After seeing Don's clip, I'm still clueless...but that is a nice line.   ::thumbsup::

R.I.P.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:20:42 AM »
I've read he's had heart problems in recent years, and has had open heart surgery. 

! No longer available

Still a classic.  A bad guy so many people liked, he had to go good.  Like Macho Man, who also left us too early due to ongoing heart problems. 

RIP

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
Even after I stopped watching pro wrestling as a teenager, I'd still occasionally catch a promo show here and there. I saw enough to appreciate the talents of Roddy Piper. He had a natural charisma and a knack for trash-talking that rivaled the best.

He starred in one of my favorite 80s cult classic movies, "They Live", about a regular Joe discovering via a special pair of sunglasses that the world is being subliminally controlled by aliens.

Died in his sleep of a heart attack. Rest in peace.
Wait, I thought that was a documentary. ::facepalm::

Doesn't matter how good of shape you once were, Heart disease takes you anyway. RIP
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.